Biggestgeekever

4 day Actuals pg 62+; MIB3 69.25m TA 47.22m

"Sony projecting #MIB3 opening to be $55M 3day, $70M 4day, $202M global helped by 3D & Imax. #1 in 104 countries."

good but that is I assume the whole world opening.

should not past 600 now

Yes, it is.

This year vs. last year's Memorial weekend. We're down a lot.

But it had to be expected. Only one opener. Only one big holdhover. Last year you had The Hangover 2 and KFP2 opening. And Pirates 4 was a bigger holdhover than The Avengers.

But why do they pirate foreign movies so much more than Hollywood movies?

I think it's a couple of reasons -- but honestly primarily it's that they're hard to see, even if you know about them. Marketing is almost nonexistent for most foreign films, and they only play in a handful of theaters in major cities. It's the sad truth of the domestic market that distributors and studios don't really give a rat's ass about foreign films (or even smaller dramas, for the most part) -- they're content to spend all their marketing/distribution money on major Hollywood tentpoles, with a smaller reserve set aside for Oscar wannabes.

• Founder / Operator

Good job Shawn, very impressive and professional.

Thanks, Totem.Yea, the worldwide opening is alright but hard not to be disappointed. I banked on it doing at least $600m in the summer game.

202M WW OW means it will make something like 300M OS and 150m or so domestically, not an overly impressive WW total especially when factoring in the budget.

MIB did just fine and in line with all other big hits of Smith like Hancock and I Am Legend Its the insane budget and ridiculous percentage deal for Smith that's going to keep this thing from turning profit till DVD When was the last time Smith movie managed to do over 700 mil WW ( that wasn't called Independence Day )

Just get back home and so many pages/datas to read and analyse...i'm overwhelmed!So MIB3 is first but without a splash,So TA is 2nd but with a bang.So Battleship is 3rd but ashamed.Chernobyl... PoorPely?