Biggestgeekever

4 day Actuals pg 62+; MIB3 69.25m TA 47.22m

I'm not even sure $100m budgets were as frequent 10 years ago as $200m ones are now!

Yeah, no kidding. It's just fucking crazy when you consider how much they actually need to make in order to break even. So many movies these days have ridiculous budgets that no one in their right mind would think, "Yeah, that movie will obviously break even."

I could't care less about those films, but I was really hoping MIB3 would pull this May up, which is not going to happen.

The weekend isn't over yet, can't write the MIB3 OW number off before an official Friday number comes in.

Geez, Battleshit has a $210m budget. I give up. $200m budgets are the new $100m budgets of a decade ago. Unbelievable how crazy the spending has become in recent years.

TA has the same budget as BS and MIB3 which is shocking.

Yeah, no kidding. It's just fucking crazy when you consider how much they actually need to make in order to break even. So many movies these days have ridiculous budgets that no one in their right mind would think, "Yeah, that movie will obviously break even."

Not to mention the marketing budgets are crazy too.

Each LOTR film was made under 100m. What are these new films spending all thier money on?

The budgets for those were kept low because they were made all at once. The whole thing has a budget over $270m.

Still not boring or dull.

This. This is the most epic May I've ever witnessed in terms of box office. What TA is doing is just insane. And for the ones that disagree with this and the ones that agree with this sentiment, I'd like to dedicate a song:
:D

Since I started posting on BOM:

2006: X3 makes more than X2 but many hate it. SR disappoints. "The Superhero film is dying."

2007: SM3 breaks OW record but sucks compared to SM2. GR and FF2 fail to impress as well. "The Superhero film as an art form is dead"

2008: IM2/TDK "The Superhero film just peaked"

2009: Watchmen disappoints/Wolverine fails to reach 200m. "The Superhero film is dying."

2010: IM2 makes nearly as much as IM1, "The Superhero film can't survive much longer"

2011: Thor, XFC, Cap fail to break 200m. "With Batman's last film and TA finally being released and TASM bound to disappoint, 2012 will be the end of the Superhero film as we know it."

2012: TA becomes first film to break 200m OW and highest grossing SH film of all time(WW and DOM)(Also highest grossing film not directed by James Cameron). TASM/TDKR still to come.

2013: IM3, MOS, Thor 2

2014: Cap 2, TASM 2

2015: TA 2?

What will the haters say about 2012?

• Like 1

Let me put it this way, I was fine with TA suffocating everything up to now.

We don't even have real Friday numbers yet and you're already writing MIB 3's tombstone. Wait and see, it's a long weekend. Plenty of things can happen.

SWATH will suck terribly. You're on the money about the other two.

This is one of the most singularly bizarre statements I've seen here in quite some time. What in the WORLD gives you the idea that this is going to suck?

RTH is saying $18m is an outside shot. Is he ever wrong?

He has been (I'm not saying he is now) but I believe his accuracy is lower when he gives early prediction like he did tonight. Usually he doesn't post until after the day is over.