1. Men in Black 3: $72.0 million

2. The Avengers: $46.5 million

3. Battleship: $14.0 million

4. The Dictator: $11.5 million

5. Chernobyl Diaries: $10.8 million

6. Dark Shadows: $9.0 million

7. What to Expect When You're Expecting: $8.8 million

8. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: $8.2 million

An unsurprising and yet vaguely disappointing Memorial Day weekend. I guess MIB3 is doing all right for a sequel no one particularly wanted from a franchise that probably used up most of its goodwill long ago.

2013 should do better; you have ST2 (2nd wknd), IM3 (4th wknd) and F6/TH3 (OW). Should be 250M+ between these 4.

So, with the box office becoming a wreck and early word on Snow White and Spider Man being stinkers, what's there to look forward to?!?!Hope Brave, Prometheus, TDKR, Bourne and Total Recall are good.Because really good reviews for Dictator, MIB3 and freaking Madagascar (So far) don't excite me in the slightest. Saw the Dictator, passably funny and whilst MIB1/2 have been decent tiem-wasters, that's all the franchise is. All the cheese makes it impossible for me to put it into the favourites section. Madagascar 2 even had decent reviews and that was a stinker POS plus I don't even like any of the characters in Madagascar and the story as seen in the trailers looks godawful so screw that. UGH.

The Hunger Games:

$590,000

+47.8%

Not too bad actually since it gained so much over the weekdays. Down 28.4% from last Friday.

And after losing 600+ theaters.