Biggestgeekever

4 day Actuals pg 62+; MIB3 69.25m TA 47.22m

"Iceberg, right ahead!" Universal's BATTLESHIP suffered the biggest drop in the Top 10 as it sunk -58%, grossing $10.7M. Total is $44.2M
  • Like 2

Official domestic 3-day weekend estimate: $6.35 million for THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL from 1,233 locations. Location avg. = $5,150

That's a nice number. I hope this has a nice run and hits 50-60 mill.

Official domestic weekend estimate: $8.0 million for CHERNOBYL DIARIES from 2,433 locations. Location avg. = $3,288

Horrible.. WTF. I thought it could at least manage double digits.

Why do 90% of horror movies fail miserably? And what makes few the breakouts breakout?

3rd best OW and first movie since a 4 year absence. Yes could have been better, but I expect After to hit 65M+ and Hancock 2 80M+ Smith needs to join the 100M+ OW Club.

The only way AE hits that number is if a) it has brilliant marketing b ) it's a great movie so it has a good IM and c) M. Night Shyamalan's name is never once mentioned in ANY marketing materials. Which kinda ties into a) but needs to be emphasized. Otherwise forget it. Edited by Jake Gittes

Horrible.. WTF. I thought it could at least manage double digits.Why do 90% of horror movies fail miserably? And what makes few the breakouts breakout?

The movie dropped 30% on Saturday :lol:What makes them breakout are usually the good marketing campaigns that make them look scary, like TDI (fantastic trailer and marketing campaign) or Paranormal Activity. Or a protagonist that is coming out of the biggest franchise of the last 10 years :P, combined with a solid marketing campaign and a good trailer. Edited by CJohn