rockNrollaDIM

Fri: SW 20.3m; MIB 8.3m; TA 5.65m/Sat DHD: SW 21.5m; MIB 12m; TA 9m

Well how is the possibility of 140m or so good for Snow White?

A more likely possibility is 150M plus, but even 140M is fairly good. Since we're not all Hollywood accountants, sometimes we can forget production budgets and marketing costs, and just look at numbers for their own merit, and that's a damn good number. It could possibly be top 15 for the year.But when we get back to the numbers- ok, then, let's say 140M domestic. Let's say 375M WW, a low estimate but since we're lowballing the DOM, we can lowball the WW as well. That's still better than 2X WW gross to the budget. And 2X the budget is generally the baseline for eventually making the money, assuming that marketing costs are not disprotionally high compared to the production budget and that ancillary revenues are not unusually low.Here's what would have sucked- a weekend of, say, 35M. Even that wouldn't have been a colossal disaster. But, with that, even with solid WW numbers, the total domestic starts looking like 325M if it's lucky. And that would have qualified this movie as a flop; and that's exactly what quite a few posters here, probably yourself included, were hoping and expecting to see happen. It didn't; the movie did very well; and there's no way to spin it otherwise.

• Founder / Operator

56m is a good opening, can't spin it any other way.

Yep, the marketing campaign did its job. Legs might not be that great, but, hey... Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

$150m is definitely possible for SWATH, but I don't know... word of mouth doesn't appear to be all that great. The only thing significantly going in its favor right now seems to be the marginal Saturday increase. I'd be more inclined to say $135-140m at the moment.

Both MIB and SW are disappointments domestically. Don't care how you guys spin it, if a film comes in 100m (MIB)and 30m (SW) under its budget, you can't call it a hit. Both will make slight profit due to their OS gross, which makes them an ok investment. Hit? No. Fail? No. Just ok for both.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

$150m is definitely possible for SWATH, but I don't know... word of mouth doesn't appear to be all that great. The only thing significantly going in its favor right now seems to be the marginal Saturday increase. I'd be more inclined to say $135-140m at the moment.

WOM is going to OK, not spectacular, my own WOM notwithstanding. Its best chance for good legs is if enough guys hear that it's not a Twilight style chick flick, and then start seeing it. Though, they were nearly 50% of the audience, to begin with, according to Hollywood Reporter.

• Founder / Operator

The major factors going against SWATH after this weekend are that "B" Cinema Score and declining Flixster rating, but more importantly, Prometheus will steal the male audience next weekend and women will disappear once Rock of Ages hits.I definitely see a total under First Class right now.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

WOM is going to OK, not spectacular, my own WOM notwithstanding. Its best chance for good legs is if enough guys hear that it's not a Twilight style chick flick, and then start seeing it. Though, they were nearly 50% of the audience, to begin with, according to Hollywood Reporter.

Very good split. Glad to hear it.

Both MIB and SW are disappointments domestically. Don't care how you guys spin it, if a film comes in 100m (MIB)and 30m (SW) under its budget, you can't call it a hit. Both will make slight profit due to their OS gross, which makes them an ok investment. Hit? No. Fail? No. Just ok for both.

I beg to differ. I submit that the overall gross vs. the budget determines what is or is not a hit, as opposed to domestic gross vs. the budget. I'll grant that it's best to have a higher proportion of the overall, from domestic, only because domestic theaters keep less off the top from the revenue.

MIB4 and Snow White 2 may happen, but both with a lower budget. Studios need to start to control the budgets. They are out of control.

Edited by CJohn

I agree with you. But I have the range at 10M more.After THG, I have learned not to underestimate these kinds of movies. :)