Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

That is a huge and very interesing debate. But you do not have to limit the debate to ROTK. I think that FOTR was bigger than ROTK OS ;)

People forget, FOTR had more admissions than ROTK. OS has expanded greatly since LOTR trilogy. No doubt in my mind this is going to hit 1B OS.
  • Like 1

Hobbit will find it a bit more difficult overseas than domestic. Life of Pi and Wreck It Ralph will be competing for the family audience and affecting its legs.

No, they're different enough, and The Hobbit will have the hype on its side :)I'watch both Hobbit and Ralph!

If anything I thought it'd be the other way around..Isn't it normally the big movies that suck the life out of others?

Nah, it is normally the good movies that suck the life out of bad ones.LOP and WIR are already established as great holiday movies (great critic and user reviews), so in order for TH1 to be immune to them, it will first have to establish itself superior. Plus LOP and WIR are opening after TH1, so if TH1 isn't better or similar in quality at least, the legs will be affected, and LOP and/or WIR will breakout at the expense of TH1.

We shall see.... if every supposed to be big films were big and every small film got wiped out by competition, there will be no flop blockbusters and there will be no breakouts.LOP and WIR are good enough to hold their own and not get wiped out. The question is, will The Hobbit be good enough?

We shall see.... if every supposed to be big films were big and every small film got wiped out by competition, there will be no flop blockbusters and there will be no breakouts.LOP and WIR are good enough to hold their own and not get wiped out. The question is, will The Hobbit be good enough?

The hype is enormous for The Hobbit. It will do well.Yes, LOP and WIR can hold their own but at the expense of The Hobbit? I don't see that happening. The Hobbit is the IT movie of the winter. Nothing will stop it.

The hype is enormous for The Hobbit. It will do well.Yes, LOP and WIR can hold their own but at the expense of The Hobbit? I don't see that happening. The Hobbit is the IT movie of the winter. Nothing will stop it.

Lesson number one: Guaranteed hits, there is no such thing.

Nah, it is normally the good movies that suck the life out of bad ones.LOP and WIR are already established as great holiday movies (great critic and user reviews), so in order for TH1 to be immune to them, it will first have to establish itself superior. Plus LOP and WIR are opening after TH1, so if TH1 isn't better or similar in quality at least, the legs will be affected, and LOP and/or WIR will breakout at the expense of TH1.

improbable IMHO

Indeed. Even with the disastrous Chinese release calendar, I still think this will reach 1 billion OS. The hype here is monstrous.

Hobbit will find it a bit more difficult overseas than domestic. Life of Pi and Wreck It Ralph will be competing for the family audience and affecting its legs.

There is enough space for all of them. Christmas is always very crowded. Avatar competed with Sherlock Holmes, Alvin 2 and The princess and the frog. That 3 movies grossed together 700 million OS, beyond the 2 billion from Avatar.