Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

I think now we can safely say Hobbit: AUJ is a WW disappointment, a flop, box office-wise or critic-wise.

Lol, calm down. Get off the ledge and take a deep breath. Now read what you just wrote and think about it. It has yet to open in North America and we still don't have OW OS numbers so how is it a WW disappointment? Edited by druv10

Germany had a horrible wednesday,It had a full schedule on wednesday and those numbers are pretty bad, actually.You have to keep in mind, that average ticket prizes will be enormous. Up to 2€ more because of the running time, another 50 cent for HFR and 3D share will be very high. Should end up having the highest ticket average ever.Let's hope that the low temperatures are to blame, weekend will be rainy and up to 10°, so perfect weather for a night at the movies.

GERAvg tkt price 2 days about 10.3Avg yr 7.65Avg Skyfall 8.43Avg Avengers 11FOTR 6.94TT 7.01ROTK 7.10

Even if it only pulled in $800m WW (which would be pretty low compared to expectations), that's still $400m and change back to Warners, covering 80% of total production costs for the trilogy.

Are you sure that covers all the production costs. I thought there are further production plans. Plus there are marketing costs.Still its ridiculous to call this a flop. It will be a hugely profitable trilogy for WB.

Are you sure that covers all the production costs. I thought there are further production plans. Plus there are marketing costs.Still its ridiculous to call this a flop. It will be a hugely profitable trilogy for WB.

I've heard $500m for production. Obviously marketing is a lot more. PJ is covering the overage (from additional production) himself, since the deal he had with WB for 48fps was he wouldn't go over budget.

Do you have a link to that article? (Although it's not outside the realm of the $500m or so I've heard for production, if they spent $150m apiece on marketing).

'The Hobbit:' Inside Peter Jackson and Warner Bros.' $1 Billion Gamble

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hobbit-peter-jackson-warner-bros-379301