Totem

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OS Thread: OVER 1B WW!

Germany looking at 1.3mil admissions this weekend, 4.5mil total after Sunday. By now it's obvious that both the sky-high expectations from earlier this year as well as the grisly "50% drop in admissions compared to LotR" after the soft opening were greatly exaggarated, there simply was no rush factor and frontloading at all, it behaves like a "normal" December blockbuster and develops excellent holiday legs; it just opened 1 week earlier than LotR. In total, 6mil are already locked and 7mil admissions from Germany are very probable now.

• Like 1

http://www.animationmagazine.net/features/the-hobbit-passes-the-500-million-benchmark/

Warner Bros. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has surpassed the $500 million benchmark at the worldwide box office in less than two weeks at the box office. To date, the blockbuster has earned an estimated $189.73 million domestically. In addition, on the heels of its record-breaking release in Australia — the biggest Boxing Day opening of all time — The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has grossed an estimated $373 million internationally, for a staggering global total of $562.8 million, and still steadily climbing.

Friday (12/28) Update: The latest overseas stats from WB:

Coming off of a strong Wednesday Boxing day, Thursday continued to deliver huge numbers generating an estimated $26m from 62 territories, an outstanding increase of 34% over last week. We continue to rank #1 in key markets and across the world, and the international cume to date now stands at $373m.

Australia's Thursday performance was an outstanding A$3.4m ($3.5m) from 557 screens, dominating the market with 52% of top 5, and 171% ahead of #2 LES MIS.

Key Market highlights (Thurs/drop or increase /cume in USD)

Germany: $4.1m / +90% / $47.3m

UK: $3.9m /+78% / $46.8m

France: $1.9m / +161% / $26.1m

Russia: $849k / -62% / $23.1m

Spain: $1m / +77% / $19m

Korea: $226k / -50% / $18.3m

Italy: $858k / +105% / $15.3m

Mexico: $512k / -9% / $13.3m

Brazil: $647k / +19% / $11.6m

Japan: $310k / -26% / $9.6m

New Zealand: $378k / +71% / $5.5m

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2012-12-14-the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-bags-13-million-at-midnight

are these good numbers?

European ones are pretty good, apart from France, which is ok. I'd say.LA is rather underwhelming.Asian numbers are just meh, I mean Japan with 9,6??????? for real?????? Edited by Ajde

European ones are pretty good, apart from France, which is ok. I'd say.LA is rather underwhelming.Asian numbers are just meh, I mean Japan with 9,6??????? for real??????

I do not think Frenck number is worst than other European countries. Comparing the drops of every European country from the results of LOTR, France is very similar to its neighbours. It will surpass both FOTR and TTT there and it could reach 40 million. A bit far to ROTK (48), but in the same way than Spain or Italy. UK will not even reach none of LOTR movies. Another question is that if France loves Tolkien movies (proportionally) as much as other European countries.And yes, Japan is a completely disaster. ROTK grossed 95 million there and both FOTR and TTT over 60.I expected more from Brazil and Mexico, about 30 each, and both will land about 20.The only markets that would accomplish my expectations are Germany, where TH could hold even ROTK gross (87), Russia that should reach 45 (although I expected a bit more), and Australia that has started as I had expected.