baumer

Weekend Estimates pg 60 Mad3 60.3 Prom 50.0

Still, if it can manage $550m worldwide then it should end up a decent enough success.

It's much more than decent.I doubt it's making $400m OS, more like $300m or close to that. $400m WW would be decent.

• Founder / Operator

It's much more than decent.I doubt it's making $400m OS, more like $300m or close to that. $400m WW would be decent.

That's why I said if, though... I don't see it getting anywhere near that.

400M WW would definitely be good for Prom. I mean come on, making 3 times its budget is nothing to scoff at. Also, RTX made a fairly good point that most SH movies tend to be frontloaded, so assuming in advance this will behave like Watchmen when we don't even have a Saturday number seems like a knee-jerk reaction to me.

I wasn't really expecting much more than 150M, so that is good for me. I just want the sequel.

I always thought 50/150 would be good for Prometheus. It's not everyone's cup of tea. There are people who won't even consider it. If the budget is where they said then that's fine. So I am in agreement with you.

IMO, Inception is a horrible movie to compare Prometheus to. X-Men First Class is a better comparison, Similar release date...similar fanboy rush. Hell, it basically had an identical Midnights/Friday. If Prometh is flat on Saturday, then I'll be wrong. But if it drops 8-10% then XFC is the movie to look at.At least for this weekend anyway.

• Founder / Operator

What do you predict then?

At the start of summer I predicted something like $700m worldwide. That was predicated on it being a really good movie, of course... :P

• Founder / Operator

IMO, Inception is a horrible movie to compare Prometheus to. X-Men First Class is a better comparison, Similar release date...similar fanboy rush. Hell, it basically had an identical Midnights/Friday. If Prometh is flat on Saturday, then I'll be wrong. But if it drops 8-10% then XFC is the movie to look at.

Agreed. However, XFC seemed to generate a much stronger positive consensus. X-Men films are notoriously front-loaded though.

IMO, Inception is a horrible movie to compare Prometheus to. X-Men First Class is a better comparison, Similar release date...similar fanboy rush. Hell, it basically had an identical Midnights/Friday. If Prometh is flat on Saturday, then I'll be wrong. But if it drops 8-10% then XFC is the movie to look at.

I know this is not your point, but 3D aways bursts that kind of bubble for me.

IMO, Inception is a horrible movie to compare Prometheus to. X-Men First Class is a better comparison, Similar release date...similar fanboy rush. Hell, it basically had an identical Midnights/Friday. If Prometh is flat on Saturday, then I'll be wrong. But if it drops 8-10% then XFC is the movie to look at.At least for this weekend anyway.

What if its 4-5% :P
  • Like 1

400M WW would definitely be good for Prom. I mean come on, making 3 times its budget is nothing to scoff at.

Indeed.Some people are trying to downplay it. It would be more than what Star Trek made, with a lower budget (yeah, i know, studios get less from OS grosses, still).

At the start of summer I predicted something like $700m worldwide. That was predicated on it being a really good movie, of course... :P

I meant now ;)

Agreed. However, XFC seemed to generate a much stronger positive consensus. X-Men films are notoriously front-loaded though.

I think the positive response + the frontloading cancel each other out in a comparison with Prometheus.

• Founder / Operator

I think the positive response + the frontloading cancel each other out in a comparison with Prometheus.

For the sake of my summer game, I hope so. I really don't know though. At least X-Men had an under-18 friendly rating. Prometheus has to rely mostly on pickier adults adult men. Edited by ShawnMR

Prometheus: R-rated sci-fi thrillerX-men: PG-13 comic-book actionInception: PG-13 sci-fi thriller, Nolan himself has a lot of fanboys, they even have a website of their own.If Prometheus drops on Saturday, it will be mostly due to R rating, but it should get an excellent Monday hold.

For the sake of my summer game, I hope so. I really don't know though. At least X-Men had an under-18 friendly rating. Prometheus has to rely mostly on pickier adults adult men.

Yeah...I had 185m for this, so I need it to sprout legs to at least 165. Still, even in that case, XFC is a better comparison film than a film that made nearly 300m.