tidbit

Tue Est Box Office - M3 7.1, Prometheus 5, Swath 3

That's a solid number for SWatH if it holds. A nice increase from Monday.

It's not solid or impermeable. It's just normal.
  • Like 1

I'd certainly think (without looking it up) that Super Bowl Sunday creates a larger hit on that particular day than a mere 5%. Though, probably most people who want to see a particular movie that weekend either just go on Friday and Saturday or wait until the week or the next weekend, and still end up seeing it anyway.

Football draws in 150 million viewers for the Super Bowl and 75-100 mill for the Conference Finals. Basketball draws in 10-12 million. Big difference.

Thank for what, exactly? It's his thread. And the dammit part was my reaction to seeing the discrepancy between the title and the actual post.

It was rude.

Have sports EVER affected movies more than maybe 5%?

For certain films, usually older male skewing ones, the NBA Finals have hurt the Tuesday and Thursday grosses and helped the Wednesday gross in between (when there's no game). It's not so much that so many people are watching an NBA Finals game, but for that targeted audience they have no game one day in between two days of games.The first week Tue-Wed-Thu holds of The Hangover and Get Him to the Greek were examples of this.

For certain films, usually older male skewing ones, the NBA Finals have hurt the Tuesday and Thursday grosses and helped the Wednesday gross in between (when there's no game). It's not so much that so many people are watching an NBA Finals game, but for that targeted audience they have no game one day in between two days of games.The first week Tue-Wed-Thu holds of The Hangover and Get Him to the Greek were examples of this.

I disagree. Those days were just normal days, not affected by what's on TV.

I disagree. Those days were just normal days, not affected by what's on TV.

I don't have time to post the grosses, but go back and check how the daily holds for Hangover 1 and Get Him to the Greek compare to other films in the marketplace during June 9 - June 11, 2009 and June 8 - June 10, 2010.

Tuesday holds have definitely improved over the past few years, while Wednesday drops have worsened as a result. So Madagascar 3 should fall back to Cars/KFP pace on Wed, as I don't think it could match the Wed holds of those two (-0.1% and -6.6%). And I wouldn't read too much into Prometheus' hold either. X-Men: First Class declined 6.9% on its first Tuesday, and that didn't prevent it from dropping 56% on its second weekend.

Edited by xiayun
  • Like 4

Tuesday holds have definitely improved over the past few years, while Wednesday drops have worsened as a result. So Madagascar 3 should fall back to Cars/KFP pace on Wed, as I don't think it could match the Wed holds of those two (-0.1% and -6.6%). And I wouldn't read too much into Prometheus' hold either. X-Men: First Class declined 6.9% on its first Tuesday, and that didn't prevent it from dropping 56% on its second weekend.

I could see M3 around the -7% range for today

Yea, as Xia said, when you have strong Tuesday's your Wed are going to be steep in terms of drops. MAD3 will be no exception.

although it's at less than half the scale of M3, mr poppers penguins opening last june had a 15% bump its first tuesday (M3 has a 12% acc to estimates), and only dipped 2.3% on the wednesday

although it's at less than half the scale of M3, mr poppers penguins opening last june had a 15% bump its first tuesday (M3 has a 12% acc to estimates), and only dipped 2.3% on the wednesday

Good call...you might be right:http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2011-06-22&track=mrpopperspenguins.htm

Whoa...I think every post has been on topic...or at least about how the topic was screwed up. :mouthdropped:I agree with X and B. Tuesday is never a good day to judge films on...Wednesdays are much more telling.