TLK

Weekend Estimates: TMB @ 13M, PROM @ 20.2M, ROA @ 15M, MAD3 @ 35.5M

I don't get it, there have been two R rated comedies this summer, both have flopped horribly, granted both were terrible but still opening weekends should at least have been decent.

Are people waiting for Ted, The Watch or The Campaign or have R rated comedies had their moment to shine last summer?

I'm not sure about the opening weekends being decent. If they looked bad from the tv spots and trailers then it would make no difference.

SWATH finishing higher than Prometheus is the worst thing to happen at the bo so far this year. :sick:

For those who do not detest the genre(unfortunately those who detest include most of the Internet) SWatH was a very good movie, and I am hardly suprised that it is going to spank Prometheus, especially in terms of tickets sold. Edited by rb02
  • Like 1

Battleship is old news, lol. It went by way of Dark Shadows in my book.What is the budget for What to Expect?Outside of the openers the top 10 looks very healthy, imo.

I don't know the budget, but I am sure it is at least 50-70M.

For those who do not detest the genre(unfortunately those who detest include most of the Internet) SWatH was a very good movie, and I am hardly suprised that it is going to spank Prometheus, especially in terms of tickets sold.

Most people here had SWATH doing big numbers anyway IIRC. I always had it at 48/150 pretty much the same as Prometheus.

I don't know the budget, but I am sure it is at least 50-70M.

Boxoffice.com has the budget at 65m. That includes their marketing estimate. So I'm guessing the production budget is no more than 35-40m.

With a smart advertising push, The Campaign should break the R-rated comedy streak here. Ted, which I think looks awesome, seems to have little to no appeal to females. Unless couples want to split up that weekend (with the girls taking on Magic Mike, and the guys going to Ted), I don't think Ted will have great numbers either.

Hooray for PROM sat increase! :D At least it won't drop 60%+ for the weekend now.LMAO at the Sat #'s for ROA and TMB. All you can do is laugh at them at this point. Simply pathetic.

Unfortunately, it does look like it will drop 60%. Now, it wasn't a horror movie, and it didn't have a 130M+ opening. Did it have terrible WOM, then?(sorry, couldn't resist).

Most people here had SWATH doing big numbers anyway IIRC. I always had it at 48/150 pretty much the same as Prometheus.

That was a good call on your part. It's true that most people initially were predicting big numbers then suddenly a whole host of people turned on it as the release date got closer.

Unfortunately, it does look like it will drop 60%. Now, it wasn't a horror movie, and it didn't have a 130M+ opening. Did it have terrible WOM, then?(sorry, couldn't resist).

I won't be shocked by a ~59% drop when all is said and done.

Prometheus can still stabilize although that is becoming more unlikely. THG did drop more than 61% on its second weekend. Not a fair comparison, but definitely means the game is NOT over for Prometheus.

Prometheus didn't open to $155m.

Impressive hold for MIB3.... should cross 170m mark....Avengers it seems will go some distance past 600m.

I am quite surprised by MIB3. I expected Avengers to have larger weekends than MIB by now, yet it still is not happening.

I am quite surprised by MIB3. I expected Avengers to have larger weekends than MIB by now, yet it still is not happening.

MIB3 is a good movie though. Shame it didn't open higher. I'm not surprised by the good holds.