20 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Top Gun

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Today it's a little hokey and cheesy. And that volleyball scene is just weird. But this is the film that made Tom Cruise a star. And I was 11 the summer this came out and must have watched 15 times. And Goose's death still makes me a little misty eyed. Plus the aerial scenes still hold up. It's got a great soundtrack, Harold Faltermeyer doing the score, hell yes. And it contains maybe my favorite line from Tom Cruise in a movie.Goose has just died, but the instructors at Top Gun want to keep sending Maverick up. So they pair him up with Sundown. And Maverick has Jester one of the instructors in his sites. Sundown thinks it looks good. Even Jester is like "come on kid engage." But Maverick says it's no good and lands the plane.As they're walking down the runway, Sundown keeps pestering Maverick, telling him they could have had Jester, they could have had him. Maverick drops his stuff, pulls Sundown by the scruff looks him in the eye and says "I will fire when I am goddamned good and ready. You got that?" Awesome. A

• Like 1

Oh man. I agreed to playing Drunk Gun, where two of the rules are drinking every time a call name is used and every time something even mildly homoerotic happens. Half an hour in, we're well on our ways to being destroyed.

The comedy in this is great, even if unintentional at times (khm, khm, volleyball :lol:) and it hits the emotional notes reasonably well for this type of movie. Anyway, great soundtrack and action is all you need to know before entering the danger zone :D

9/10

• Like 1

I actually saw this before but it's been at least 20 years so seeing it again, just all around thrilling and one of Cruise's best performances, perhaps second only to Magnolia. The action scenes were so well directed by Tony Scott and although it is formulaic, there wasn't a moment I wasn't entertained.

****¼/*****, (A-, 8.4/10, 3.25/4)

Edited by TheMovieman

On 6/24/2014 at 1:39 PM, Jay Hollywood said:

B+ (89)

No real villain or enemy keeps it from being an A. 

At that time the USSR was a big enemy of the US so to us watching it there is a real villain/enemy - just some context.