Olive

Official France Box Office Thread

25 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Well, it makes sense, I have deducted the Previews numbers from Total, so it's 50,019 admits!

Yet, it's a very big figure considerating Japanese language very far from English standard film in France

It got a vesion sub and a version dub, btw I think it shoud make between 300k and 350k on first week, likely closer to 350k. For the drop in week 2 probably something between 55% to 70%, it depends if it's very frontloaded or not. 

Edited by Zeiden16

3 minutes ago, pepsa said:

I don't think this matters to much in France, from what I know they dubb almost all their movies (not only for kids) so english or japanese will sound the same if dubbed.

We would have a Japanese film in TOP 100 if it's true 🥲

Very much need of an ranking in TOP 100, to understand the flow of Japanese Overseas (Outside Asia)

3 minutes ago, Zeiden16 said:

It got a vesion sub and a version dub, btw I think it shoud make between 300k and 350k on first week, likely closer to 350k. For the drop in week 2 probably something between 55% to 70%, it depends if it's very frontloaded or not. 

Dragon Ball Super Broly opening was par with Demon Slayer right?

Apparently, I am worried about frontloaded factors too. But, I have heard critics praising the film over Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia! Any site to check WOM/Ratings in France?

13 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Dragon Ball Super Broly opening was par with Demon Slayer right?

Apparently, I am worried about frontloaded factors too. But, I have heard critics praising the film over Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia! Any site to check WOM/Ratings in France?

Ratings are good 4.3/5 on allocine for now, will probably drop from 0.1 to 0.3 once there are more notes

If you want to compare Dragon Ball Z Broly and Demon Slayers it was

First week:

DBS Broly: first day 150k with 50k of previews and 400k first week

Demon Slayer 59k first day and 350k first week

For week 2 and 3:

DBS Broly: 77% drop on week 2 and 52% on week 3  561k total

Demon Slayers: 52% on week 2 and 46% on week 3  728k total

Dragon Ball is very popular since forever with a solid old fanbase so it explains why it's so much frondloaded, unlikely it's the same for JJK, I think between 55% and 60% drop on week 2 is the most likely to happen, like MHA movie.

Edited by Zeiden16
  • Thanks 1

Really good for JJK I didn't expect so much but like DB or DS it's a frontloaded movie.

Maybe 300k-350k this week (there is cinema spring with all screenings at €4 so the numbers will be boosted a bit).

I'm thinking of a final run a little below Demon Slayer (around 700k admits) and honestly I didn't think he could get that close. Impressive !

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

Maybe 300k-350k this week (there is cinema spring with all screenings at €4 so the numbers will be boosted a bit).

Oh right, I forgot it was this week since it has been canceled for 2 years with the Covid, it could even get close to 400k of DBS Broly with the reduction of places to 4€ over 3 days.

And I think "Notre-Dame brûle" is going to have a solid weekend too despite an average first day mainly because of weak previews.

Edited by Zeiden16
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

We would have a Japanese film in TOP 100 if it's true 🥲

Very much need of an ranking in TOP 100, to understand the flow of Japanese Overseas (Outside Asia)

I am very sure most movies are dubbed in french, can someone from france clearify this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pepsa said:

I am very sure most movies are dubbed in french, can someone from france clearify this?

For Demon Slayer and JJK there are almost no (very few) sessions dubbed in French, most (90%) are in the original version with French subtitles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LPLC said:

For Demon Slayer and JJK there are almost no (very few) sessions dubbed in French, most (90%) are in the original version with French subtitles

Why don't they dubb Japanese movies? Are they not willing to pay to be dubbed?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Dub cost money! Not everyone will just dub every movie and expect everyone to see it. Original Fans will watch the film in sub (because it's a gesture of choices, and dub sucks) I have my preference that I hate dub over sub. But, it doesn't mean that I hate every dubbed show. Every fans just need original voice line. And perhaps doesn't dub at all. At present, Japanese Film are dubbed only in six major languages, Chinese, Taiwanese, Cantonese (TVB or Viu), English, Korean, Portugese (South America).

Also, if I talk about profit wise then it's simply not benefiting. So, major studio are cancelling out some dubs. Last year, Spanish language was completed removed from dubbing list due to poor performance at Spain on dubbing sessions

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pepsa said:

The movies are dubbed, but most anime fans at this point are pretty used to subs so those screenings aren't really that popular in comparison. Dub does make a big difference for, say, netflix anime shows though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

The movies are dubbed, but most anime fans at this point are pretty used to subs so those screenings aren't really that popular in comparison. Dub does make a big difference for, say, netflix anime shows though.

Exactly the fans and myself included greatly prefer the film in Japanese subtitled in French than the film directly dubbed in French

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Dub cost money! Not everyone will just dub every movie and expect everyone to see it. Original Fans will watch the film in sub (because it's a gesture of choices, and dub sucks) I have my preference that I hate dub over sub. But, it doesn't mean that I hate every dubbed show. Every fans just need original voice line. And perhaps doesn't dub at all. At present, Japanese Film are dubbed only in six major languages, Chinese, Taiwanese, Cantonese (TVB or Viu), English, Korean, Portugese (South America).

Also, if I talk about profit wise then it's simply not benefiting. So, major studio are cancelling out some dubs. Last year, Spanish language was completed removed from dubbing list due to poor performance at Spain on dubbing sessions

3 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I fully agree with you guys. As someone comming from Belgium (dutch speaking part) no movies are ever dubbed here. (Only animated movies because young kids can't read / can't read fast enough). My followup question was just to figuere out what the reason what they didn't dubbed it cause in Belgium France is notrious for dubbing everything. When we were on vacation in france and we wanted to watch a movie (in a smaller town) we didn't find any movie not dubbed. So we coudn't go.

From what I know most anime fans are very against dubs, so yeah makes sense.

• Like 1

I just checked the Paris figures for the weekend, solid for Batman, -30% compared to last Saturday and Sunday, should allow to keep the first place for the week, on the other hand very disappointing Saturday for Notre-Dame brûle but saved a bit by a solid Sunday thanks to the discount tickets. I think it will reach 300k but not by much and very far compared to forecast of 390k. Jujutsu kaisen 0 had a great Friday followed by a solid Saturday but the discount on Sunday didn't have much of impact like I tought, it's the only top 10 movie that had a lower Sunday than Saturday despite the discount, probably a sign of front loading but still should reach 350k or close for the week.

I almost forgot to mention the very good weekend of Uncharted with -4% compared to last weekend.

Edited by Zeiden16
  • Like 4

Some figures from March 16 to 20:

Jujutsu Kaisen 0      293.331 
Notre-Dame brûle  267.924 
Uncharted               174.293

The next 2 days are discount days, I checked the numbers a bit in the past and it really depends on the movie, some have a Monday and Tuesday just a bit below a Saturday, others do half of that but that remains well above a traditional Monday and Tuesday.  Notre-Dame brûle could get closer to 350k if Sunday's boost is as good on Monday (CD are confident and have kept their forecast at 390k). I'll check the Monday Paris figures tonight and edit this post once it's out.

These weeks with discounts are hard to forecast.

Edited by Zeiden16
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

The Batman-444.909(-18%)/2.245.641

Very solid, the drop on Paris was of 29%, must have had a weekend and first day of "printemps du cinéma" much more impactful in the provinces (Provinces mean outisde the Paris regions here)

00.png

Anyway concerning Monday and the 2nd day with a discount Notre-Dame brûle is very close of Saturday to Paris (11k), +350k is very likely if Tuesday is close to that, Jujutsu figures confirm it's front loaded with its second worst day just slightly better than last Thursday (7k),  Jujutsu Kaisen depends more on Paris than other movies who are stronger in the provinces so the gap today with Notre-Dame brûle must even be bigger, very likely it ends #3 over the week to 330-340k. Batman figures are identical to Friday (17k), pretty good, it should be flat to last week and exceed 600k.

It seems Notre-Dame brûle is the one who benefits the most from printemps du cinéma after a difficult start.

Edited by Zeiden16
  • Like 1