Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Most people were expecting Tangled numbers before the movie came out. There were no indications that it would break out like it did.

And, people expected Tangled numbers after the OW. There still was no indication it would go on to do what it id.

Princess and the Frog did kinda flop. Which scared Disney so much that they renamed Rapunzel to Tangled. Which then crawled to 200M Dom thanks mostly to strong WOM.And then people started with "Frozen won't make as much as Tangled as The Snow Queen is a lesser known fairytale". Nobody saw the song breaking out as none of the songs in Tangled or Frog broke out like this. Disney Animation had been in a slump since the Renaissance heydays with Lilo, Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph being the only bright spots. And none of those were monster hits.Now Frozen has doubled Tangled's WW with 1.2B and it possibly could make another 100M or so. No other princess film has come close unless you count 85 years worth inflation or Aladdin (where the princess was in the love interest role). So a beat down studio that was written off by many as being inferior to Pixar, not as "hip" as DreamWorks and just a shadow of its former self.And then a movie belonging to its most ridiculed genre (Shrek was a phenomenon by lampooning the princess fairy tales) goes on to become the biggest animation of all time and now the fifth biggest movie of all time, with chances at No. 4Who the hell saw that coming? WDAS is like Rocky at this point.

Eh, for PatF it really depends on how you look at it. As the next in a long line of Disney Princess movies, Princess underperformed. For a movie with a black female lead and mostly black cast, it performed incredibly well.

And Emperor's New Groove was totally a brght spot, unless you're soley judging on profitability.

• Like 2

And Emperor's New Groove was totally a brght spot, unless you're soley judging on profitability.

Yes, I was solely talking about profitability. Otherwise Emperor's, Robinsons, Bolt, Princess and to a certain extent both Treasure Planet and Atlantis could have been included.

Also, I think weird December release date was the main reason for Princess and the Frog underperforming. Winnie the Pooh was trampled as it released with DH2. I wonder whose bright idea that was.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yes, I was solely talking about profitability. Otherwise Emperor's, Robinsons, Bolt, Princess and to a certain extent both Treasure Planet and Atlantis could have been included.

Also, I think weird December release date was the main reason for Princess and the Frog underperforming. Winnie the Pooh was trampled as it released with DH2. I wonder whose bright idea that was.  :rolleyes:

Some Disney fans think there was a conspiracy to kill off 2d animation. By putting Pooh against DH2, it would flop then Disney could claim that no one cared about hand drawn animation anymore. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Some Disney fans think there was a conspiracy to kill off 2d animation. By putting Pooh against DH2, it would flop then Disney could claim that no one cared about hand drawn animation anymore. :ph34r:

ROFL silly fans. Disney was numero uno in the traditional hand drawn animation field. Why would they destroy one of their biggest USPs like that? 

I hope they make a full length feature with the technology they used for Paperman soon enough.

• Like 2

Pooh and Princess also got weaker reviews than the CG movies, to be fair. Hard to say what was the real reason for their disappointing hauls.

Not really, Pooh has a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. Very few CG family movies other than PIXAR reach that kind of percentage at RT 

• Like 1

Not really, Pooh has a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. Very few CG family movies other than PIXAR reach that kind of percentage at RT 

Average rating of 7.2, though, worse than every other Disney movie since PATF. They may have enjoyed it but they gave mild recommendations for the most part.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Pooh was also only 63 minutes long. Way too short for a theatrical movie I think. Many parents probably didn't think it was worth the cost to see it in theaters, especially since movie going is expensive as hell these days. :ph34r: