Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Why does it seem that the only people scrambling for minorities/ diversity in films are always white?

There are some REAL problems of whitewashing in Hollywood (like Aang in Last Airbender and Marianne Pearl in A Mighty Heart). But whining about things like Frozen not having a single POC of prominence (which I'd rather take over a useless token or caricature any day) dilutes the actual problem to a great degree.Not to mention it is highly patronizing to POC who actually enjoy the movie regardless of the race of its characters.
  • Like 5

Tumblr went full retard for Frozen. Another white princess? (Incurring the wrath of the modern day Hilly Holbrooks). There doesn't seem to be a single person of color in this! I've heard there is no scene where a female character saves a male character! It was pretty embarrassing all around.Don't think things will be quite as bad for BH6.

I guess they never noticed when Anna saved Kristoff twice during the wolf chase. First with the flaming bedroll and again when Anna throws him the ice ax and rope as he is slipping over the cliff edge and then pulls him back up (with Sven's help).

• Like 5

There are some REAL problems of whitewashing in Hollywood (like Aang in Last Airbender and Marianne Pearl in A Mighty Heart). But whining about things like Frozen not having a single POC of prominence (which I'd rather take over a useless token or caricature any day) dilutes the actual problem to a great degree.Not to mention it is highly patronizing to POC who actually enjoy the movie regardless of the race of its characters.

Airbender was a complete whitewashed mess. It was also a shitty movie.

Well, I'm not sure if whitewashed is completely correct in regards to it, but it screwed up everything.

And of course no one cares, but there was a Dragonball movie that came out some time ago that bombed so hard I don't remember anything else about it. That was whitewashed too.

• Like 2

I guess they never noticed when Anna saved Kristoff twice during the wolf chase. First with the flaming bedroll and again when Anna throws him the ice ax and rope as he is slipping over the cliff edge and then pulls him back up (with Sven's help).

Lol true. It reminds of the overreaction regarding Ariel goddess when in fact she saves male characters three times (Eric from the shipwreck and by yanking at Ursula's hair so that the trident blasted Flotsam and Jetsam instead of Eric + Flounder from the shark). Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

Airbender was a complete whitewashed mess. It was also a shitty movie.Well, I'm not sure if whitewashed is completely correct in regards to it, but it screwed up everything.And of course no one cares, but there was a Dragonball movie that came out some time ago that bombed so hard I don't remember anything else about it. That was whitewashed too.

A racially appropriate DBZ of that same quality would've been nothing less than an all-out racist hate crime!

So Alan Tudyk seems to be voicing a character for BH6. It will be his third straight time to do it for Disney. Is he turning into Disney's John Ratzenburger (for Pixar)?

I was going to make the same comment.

Neat casting choices. I'm digging it.

Everyone beat me to the Tudyk thing.Also, T.J. Miller is now joining the ranks of live-action talent showing up in animated films from multiple studios. (Though how often is it that someone shows up in two in the same year? Last year we had Benjamin Bratt, Bill Hader and Ken Jeong. Ryan Reynolds doesn't count because both were DreamWorks.)

Edited by TServo2049

Everyone beat me to the Tudyk thing.Also, T.J. Miller is now joining the ranks of live-action talent showing up in animated films from multiple studios. (Though how often is it that someone shows up in two in the same year? Last year we had Benjamin Bratt, Bill Hader and Ken Jeong. Ryan Reynolds doesn't count because both were DreamWorks.)

Wait. What else was Ryan other than Turbo?
  • Like 1

Oh and this year, we had Jonah Hill (Lego/HTTYD2), plus Will Arnett and Liam Neeson not only in two films, but the SAME two (Nut Job/Lego).OK, I guess this isn't as rare as I thought. (And again, I don't count regular animation VAs like John DiMaggio or people like that.)...and Kevin Bacon was in Balto. :P

Edited by TServo2049

So Alan Tudyk seems to be voicing a character for BH6. It will be his third straight time to do it for Disney. Is he turning into Disney's John Ratzenburger (for Pixar)?

I wonder if he'll sound more like King Candy or the Duke of Weselton in whichever role he's playing.  John Ratzenburger has a distinct voice that I can recognize instantly in a Pixar film, but even though King Candy and the Duke have kind of similar voices I didn't know they were both voiced by the same person until I looked at the cast list.

I don't like if the voices are very recognizable because then you think of another character.

Ratzenberger does a lot of slapstick or whatever with his voice so it doesn't matter and he doesn't play main roles.

The old Disney movies are very annoying especially in the Silver Age and Dark period where they reuse the same guys often. There's the actor for Pooh, Baloo, the old dog in Fox and the Hound etc all playing multiple characters over 4 films. It's fucking annoying hearing Pooh come out of a snake even though Jungle Book released first.

• Like 1

I don't like if the voices are very recognizable because then you think of another character. Ratzenberger does a lot of slapstick or whatever with his voice so it doesn't matter and he doesn't play main roles. The old Disney movies are very annoying especially in the Silver Age and Dark period where they reuse the same guys often. There's the actor for Pooh, Baloo, the old dog in Fox and the Hound etc all playing multiple characters over 4 films. It's fucking annoying hearing Pooh come out of a snake even though Jungle Book released first.

I love pooh bear!
  • Like 1

The old Disney movies are very annoying especially in the Silver Age and Dark period where they reuse the same guys often. There's the actor for Pooh, Baloo, the old dog in Fox and the Hound etc all playing multiple characters over 4 films. It's fucking annoying hearing Pooh come out of a snake even though Jungle Book released first.

Most would prefer to see that as an element of the Disney legacy rather than be annoyed by it. You definitely won't be able to enjoy animated TV shows if you're so bothered by the fact that some characters sound like others.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

Most would prefer to see that as an element of the Disney legacy rather than be annoyed by it. You definitely won't be able to enjoy animated TV shows if you're so bothered by the fact that some characters sound like others.

Yeah, I don't watch any anymore anyway so it can't bother me.

Only watch animation on film.

No, you can use the same voice actor but change your voice. The Pooh voice coming out of Kaa in the Jungle Book is ridiculously out of place. The gruff old dog voice, coming out of loads of characters also is, oh, gruff dog again.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't watch any anymore anyway so it can't bother me.

Only watch animation on film.

No, you can use the same voice actor but change your voice. The Pooh voice coming out of Kaa in the Jungle Book is ridiculously out of place. The gruff old dog voice, coming out of loads of characters also is, oh, gruff dog again.

The pooh voice is fantastic no matter where it comes from. It reminds me of the good ole days  

• Like 1

This is why folks like Frank Welker and Tara Strong are living gods! They'll be voicing a gazillion million characters in movies and shows alike, sometimes similar characters, and you would never recognise them until their names pop up in the credits!
  • Like 1