Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

As long as the RT score remains above 80%, I'm happy. :D

This may seem odd, but I would be happiest with a score around 90%, give or take a few, as opposed to closer to 100%, because this usually indicates that a movie is well received critically but still managed to put/piss off a fair number of people. :D Movies that fail to do the latter are often "safer" than what I'd consider ideal, for my taste--if it has something interesting to say, then usually somebody is going to hate it. 80% would be on the low side, in my opinion, but if I like it then it doesn't matter, of course.

I always found it odd that WIR made less than Tangled. What happened?

They're both strong movies in terms of story, and in the domestic market the difference between their box office grosses isn't that big (about $11.4 million). Wreck-It Ralph did extremely well for a video game-based movie, but I guess domestic audiences found Rapunzel and Eugene more appealing than Ralph and Vanellope, for one thing.

As for the overseas market, the difference is far more pronounced--$391 million versus $282 million--but that shouldn't be surprising because Tangled obviously translates to other cultures far more easily and universally than Wreck-It Ralph. The latter did well for what it is in this collective market, too, but for comparison Big Hero 6 should have a lot more innate potential.

The latter is why I think it's funny that some people--including some prominent box office prognosticators--effectively consider Wreck-It Ralph the box office standard that the next two Disney animated features could/can only hope to approach. It's a movie about a middle-aged video game character--a good movie, to be sure, but no match for princesses and superheroes in terms of innate appeal (all else being equal).

Baymax debuted at the Tokyo Film Festival.  It looks like this version of Baymax will be meeting with fans at the Disney parks!

I don't know about the Disney parks in other parts of the world, but since this is Japan we're talking about here, the walkaround Baymax probably is actually a robot. ;)

• Like 2

the real question is how much would tangled have grossed if it came out after frozen

This will be tested in Moana by 2016, if Disney Princess movies after Frozen will then have the same outcome.

But for now, BH6 will test if Disney is just a one-hit wonder or it will prove that Disney is back and on top of the game.

BTW, is there a forum for Moana?

Edited by phantom

the real question is how much would tangled have grossed if it came out after frozen

Probably significantly more than it did but less than Frozen. The other question is how much Frozen would have made if it had been released first, and my guess is probably the same or a little less than it did.

This will be tested in Moana by 2016, if Disney Princess movies after Frozen will then have the same outcome.

Sort of, because we're talking about there being one additional movie and three additional years here.

But for now, BH6 will test if Disney is just a one-hit wonder or it will prove that Disney is back and on top of the game.

They've only had one hit?

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

BTW, is there a forum for Moana?

Are you shitting me? Are you ignoring the fact that Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph were hits as well?

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

I think Frozen's success was initially capitalized off of Tangled and WiR's goodwill.

It probably helped in some ways and to some degree, but Wreck-It Ralph opened only very slightly bigger than Tangled and finished with less, despite opening after Tangled, and it sure didn't seem to help Winnie the Pooh any. One might argue that the two of them together helped Frozen more, but at this stage it is still difficult to tell whether a certain critical mass had yet been reached.

What is far more certain is that Frozen was (and still is), one way or another, a cultural phenomenon in its own right, not only opening fairly big (what you meant by "initially" I think) but having amazingly strong legs for a movie that opened this big. Why this movie opened as big as it did is, to me, kind of a mystery, as it had been tracking much lower by the usual measures. I figure it was a combination of whatever goodwill there might have been for Disney (WDAS), those who were hooked by the Olaf + Sven teaser that fans love to hate, and the unusual fascination that many people seemed to have with what little had been leaked of the movie. Plus there was the awesome second trailer that millions watched online that finally revealed some of the movie's true nature--it must have gotten quite a few people pumped despite the overall lack of a marketing push. I think that this movie would have been huge even if it had opened smaller anyway--the phenomenon is just that crazy.

Personally, I think that Frozen has done more for the image of Disney than vice versa. How much this will contribute to Big Hero 6's box office gross will always be an open question, but it seems that now Disney really has people's attention for sure--all they have to do is deliver (easier said than done), and I think that the box office plateau will have been raised.

• Like 1

This may seem odd, but I would be happiest with a score around 90%, give or take a few, as opposed to closer to 100%, because this usually indicates that a movie is well received critically but still managed to put/piss off a fair number of people. :D Movies that fail to do the latter are often "safer" than what I'd consider ideal, for my taste--if it has something interesting to say, then usually somebody is going to hate it. 80% would be on the low side, in my opinion, but if I like it then it doesn't matter, of course.

I don't know, Boyhood seems to have inspired a fair bit of discussion. 

I think the best indication of a "provocative" film is one where the average rating is very close to the Tomatometer score. For example, Wolf of Wall Street only has a 77% Tomatometer but a 7.7/10 average rating. Cloud Atlas similarly had a 66%/6.6 rating.

Edited by tribefan695

100% so far, 8/10 rating. I think this can stay above 80%, I'm hoping for that 85 range.

Also, this weekend is shaping up to be a monster, and a close finish by the looks of it. At this point, I want them both to break out, but I'd be happy with either (or both) having "good" (60M ish) OW's, then demonstrating amazing staying power.

• Like 1