Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Big Hero 6 could win the Oscars if it's as good as they say, it's particularly beautiful from an artistic and technical POV.

I always find it a shame that animated movies on the whole kind of get shafted at the Oscars.

And probably Dragon 2 being the frontrunner in the Oscars.

Most AMPAS voters aren't much into the Best Animated Feature category. HTTYD 2 should be a contender, but it didn't exactly make a huge splash in the media or at the box office, and this could hurt its chances.

LEGO is the front runner. I don't think Dragon stands a chance.

The Lego Movie will likewise be a contender, although it is hardly the type of movie that I'd expect the voters to go for, being largely a comedy and kind of "out there" in some ways, from their point of view. Plus it was released early in the year, and I'm not sure whether its live-action content would work against it for this particular award category.

Big Hero 6 could win the Oscars if it's as good as they say, it's particularly beautiful from an artistic and technical POV.

As long as it's a good movie, I figure that this award is Big Hero 6's to lose, provided that it performs well at the box office and gets enough hype to make it look like a winner. Being released late in the year is advantageous, and WDAS has been on a roll, which should give it an additional boost.

The general consensus seems to be that Lego is likely, Dragon is possible and most of the others don't seem to be regarded as much competition... though I think BH6 may surprise.

First of all, Big Hero 6 hasn't even been released yet, so if this consensus (among who?) is based on movie quality, then that will have to wait. If it's based more on the criteria that I think AMPAS voters would use, collectively, then even at this point I'd hardly be inclined to overlook Big Hero 6 like some people might. AMPAS voters don't always prefer movies that animation fans tend to prefer, and frankly neither do I (and I often disagree with AMPAS, too).

• Like 1

You're looking at the excellent EW cover story of Terminator Genisys.

LOL, I know. I was just confused as to what's going on with the facial expressions. Like...why? Seriously, why? :lol: