Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

No worries. Sometimes you need a big post to get all of your thoughts out there.

I also really wanted to touch on audience reactions in hopes that it will help get impressions of potential WOM.

• Like 4

How did you think the movie handed the females in the movie? Did you like Honey Lemon and Gogo?

I did like them.  They are both portrayed as smart but very different and distinct in personality.  I thought I was going to dislike Honey Lemon but I think I enjoyed her more than Gogo.  Gogo used the term "woman up" instead of "man up" which at first struck me as a bit overly feminist, but it seems to fit her character.

I will say that both of them didn't show up a whole lot in the movie, but they weren't ever portrayed badly and their appearances weren't less than those of the male cast members who weren't Hiro or Baymax.  I liked that they could both be smart women without being exactly the same.  I admit, I had some questions on Honey Lemon's nationality as at first I thought she was white but I could also see her being a light Latina with blonde hair based on some small details and her way of talking.

I also liked that there was never a point when either of the two girls was reduced to a love interest and neither of them required rescuing at any point.

There was also Hiro's aunt who didn't show up much but was portrayed as a very business-minded and capable woman.

And there is also

one additional female character who does wind up rescued but it's kind of an odd circumstance.  She is, however, part of the villain's motivation

• Like 4

Also, I didn't mention it in my big post, but kudos on the Disney staff for portraying the entire city as diverse.  Background characters on the street and at the school are a mix of races, though there's a prevalent Asian influence, of course.  There's not a big deal made of race in general and no massive stereotypes at play unless you count the fact that Hiro is both smart and (half) Asian.

• Like 5

There's some good tweets for it currently:

Omg WATCH BIG HERO 6 BEST MOVIE EVER

BIG HERO 6 WAS SO GOOD OMG

Big hero 6 was better than Frozen

Big Hero 6 was amazing, well done @DisneyAnimation

Jesse St John Sr@jehecole 2m2 minutes ago

Took the kiddies to Big Hero 6. Awesome movie...highly recommend it. If u go tho, avoid sitting by white dads... http://fb.me/6SAlpYz1k

Jerred Yaw@jerredjyaw15 2m2 minutes ago

Big Hero 6 was so so amazing!!!!!!

Big Hero 6 is such a good movie! 10/10

So, Big Hero 6 is adorable!

big hero 6 was a bing emotional train fuuuuckkkkk

Everyone go see Big Hero 6 right now

big hero 6 was such a fun movie!!

@dannyanimator @TylerKupferer Big Hero 6 is possibly the best animated film I've ever seen. Im a freshman in college for animation, Inspired

BIG HERO 6 WAS SO GOOD OMG

Big Hero 6 was such a cute movie 1f60d.png

@DisneyAnimation Big Hero 6 was sooo good. Just finished seeing it. Did not disappoint. Well done once again Disney.

IM JOINING THE BIG HERO 6 FANDOM

If Big Hero 6 isn't better than The Lego Movie... then it's the second best film of 2014.

BIG HERO 6 WAS AMAZING IT WAS SO GOOD

CAN WE JUST DISCUSS HOW GREAT BIG HERO 6 IS? http://

Brittney@HailStevebuckyx 6m6 minutes ago

Big Hero 6 was sad but cute and funny at the same time.

i think big hero 6 has made my list of favorite movies. it was that good

And so on.

BTW: I didn't skip any negative tweets.  I just hadn't run into any yet.  I skipped one tweet listing showing times, One tweet that looked like half of a two parter and a few tweets about people who were planning to see it later.

• Like 3

Those are some really positive tweets! :bop:

There's a lot more after that and 'cute' seems to be the operative word.

A lot of people also said it made them feel good.  Some people said they cried or felt emotional.

I did find one tweet that said simply "Big Hero 6 was terrible" but no details.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1