Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Pixar has another film in November, also a SpongeBob CGI/live action movie, two mediocre-looking Dreamworks originals, Hotel Transylvania 2, Kung Fu Panda 3, and something called Monster Trucks that I have no idea what to expect from.

Honestly, it looks really, really weak compared to this year. Pixar better deliver.

Monster Trucks is a CG/live action movie, it's funny that Paramount Animation first two films are both hybrids.

I do think the schedule of having WDAS release two films every two years isn't great whereas Pixar will have released 5 by 2018, Granted, they missed a year because of The Good Dinosaur but Disney should stick with Pixar in the summer and WDAS in November and perhaps have a WDAS get a summer release every  few years.

• Like 1

Tribefan once again speaking ill of a great upcoming year.

Next year looks great. Spongebob, Inside Out, Minions, Good Dinosaur, and Kung FU Panda 3.

Home looks awful though.

The two Pixar films I'm definitely looking forward to, but I was never much of a Spongebob fan and the previous installments of both DM and KFP left me cold.

• Like 1

Their first 2016 film is taking the "March tentpole" slot typically reserved for their live action fare. 

I wonder if the live action March films will still happen in the odd years like Cinderella in 2015, I imagine Beauty and the Beast or whatever fairytale Disney is doing next will end up in March 2017. 

Edited by Jonwo

Having just watched this today, I predict that it'll be fairly successful, but not a breakout hit. It's a good, fun animated movie, and not much more than that. People will see it, enjoy it, talk about it, and go on to other things. It won't be immune to competition the way Frozen was, and won't have many people going to see it over and over and over and over.

• Like 1

So this now looks clearly poised to continue 2 Studios franchise streaks within the House of Mouse.

Pixar & Marvel

Pixar?

You can't tell me sex appeal wasn't a factor in her design

Cass_Full_Body.png

Although she's older, physically Aunt Cass is essentially a Disney princess type of character--more so than Honey Lemon, for comparison, who is more caricatured.

I guess you're a girl so that's not surprising given Frozen is really girl-centric.BH6 is boy-centric so it's another target.

The only thing that is supposedly girl-centric about Frozen is the fact that its two main characters happen to be female. I'm saying this as a 41-year-old guy who generally doesn't like girl-centric or girl-oriented movies, but loves Frozen.

The same goes for Big Hero 6 supposedly being boy-centric.

tumblr_nep1gagRkp1qe3n5io1_500.jpg

lol

What is he doing with Elsa? :o

I want it to beat The Lego Movie, but unfortunately it's unlikely with that opening.

The Lego Movie had a very good OW and decent but not great legs, so even if Big Hero 6 opens lower, it could still end up grossing more in the end (DOM, with WW being easier). It's less likely, but I don't think I'd say unlikely at this point.

I guess that's 3/3 Marvel.

Big Hero 6 is really a Disney animated feature from WDAS. It's not a Marvel movie like the ones from Marvel Studios or even the ones produced by Sony and Fox in association with Marvel. This is why it does not bear the Marvel intro and logo. It may have been loosely inspired by a Marvel comic, but hardly anybody knew that this comic existed anyway, and the movie is very, very different.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 3

Marvel isn't even credited outside of special thanks. I think this falls into the Shrek/HTTYD category of "adaptations" that aren't really adaptations. Hence the "inspired by" in the trailer.

Darn good year for animation, between this and HTTYD2. (And Lego - but honestly, I think the visuals were the best part of that. I don't hate it, but I don't give it much thought 9 months later. It was the weakest of the three for me.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 6

Pixar?

Although she's older, physically Aunt Cass is essentially a Disney princess type of character--more so than Honey Lemon, for comparison, who is more caricatured.

The only thing that is supposedly girl-centric about Frozen is the fact that its two main characters happen to be female. I'm saying this as a 41-year-old guy who generally doesn't like girl-centric or girl-oriented movies, but loves Frozen.

The same goes for Big Hero 6 supposedly being boy-centric.

What is he doing with Elsa? :o

The Lego Movie had a very good OW and decent but not great legs, so even if Big Hero 6 opens lower, it could still end up grossing more in the end (DOM, with WW being easier). It's less likely, but I don't think I'd say unlikely at this point.

Big Hero 6 is really a Disney animated feature from WDAS. It's not a Marvel movie like the ones from Marvel Studios or even the ones produced by Sony and Fox in association with Marvel. This is why it does not bear the Marvel intro and logo. It may have been loosely inspired by a Marvel comic, but hardly anybody knew that this comic existed anyway, and the movie is very, very different.

Yeah, I'm aware of that… was kind of being facetious with my statements :) 

• Like 1

Ain't no thing like him, 'cept him. :D

And honestly, Aunt Cass reminds me more of Helen Parr than anyone else...

Yeah. I was pleasantly surprised at the snappy dialogue with the aunt. Maya Rudolph was perfectly cast. I wanted more of her.

I really do hope this makes enough to have a sequel. Because I (and my son) require more Baymax. #HailScottAdsit

• Like 4

Is it just me or have the latest WDAS movies outShreked the Shrek movies?

I really only liked the first two Shreks.

Love the first two Shreks. The third and fourth left me amazed at how far the series dropped. :( Edited by Captain Jack Sparrow
  • Like 1