Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

You haven't even seen this and from all your snarky comments in this thread, I don't expect you have any interest in doing so.  Therefore your opinion is not particularly meaningful to me.  (Nor will it be to this movie's target audience, I expect).

Also Saturday morning cartoons rocked and I wish they weren't dead now.

I'm defending all the people saying you shouldn't expect something like The Incredibles or Frozen. If you feel expecting a Saturday morning cartoon is "bad", that's a function of your own insecurities.

For the record, I am planning on seeing it. Whatever snarkiness I express in this thread is a reaction to the fandom, not the movie itself.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

Well good to see that there was not much RT drama for BH6.   :lol:  And liking the score.  I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but a so far, its looking to be a very good addition to the WDAS library.

I've been swamped lately but hopefully the movie drought will end this weekend.  Planning to watch this, Interstellar, and NIghtcrawler :D  With this planned for tonight.

• Like 6

Of course, but they do tend to have different goals in mind than the usual big budget animated film. There are certain things you shouldn't expect from them that you might from a movie like WALL-E or Up.

True.

Also, my brother's coming into town today, so the movie got pushed back to Sunday.

• Like 2

I will have to leave this thread after this weekend :(

It won't be in France before February so I don't want to be spoiled...

It was nice to debate together about this great movie guys :D After that I'll just come back to give my opinion about weekend numbers.

• Like 4

Okay, I went to a 9:45PM showing because I wanted to avoid kids. I was the only one on in the theater. So, that was a bit surprising. I don't think I have ever been the only one in a theater on opening night.

Anyway, the film was pretty good. The beginning was Pixar level. After that, it is a bit kid friendly like Wreck-It Ralph. The ending though is very good.

Oh, and there is an end credit scene seeing how it was inspired by a Marvel comic. Whoever sees it must, must stay for the end credit scene. Trust me on that one.

This is better than Dreamworks in terms of quality, but still a notch below Pixar.

:excited: Even from the trailer it caught my eye. My brother is also really looking forward to this. I would say I am too, I really loved the Lego movie. Apart from comedy, (which was very good) it had a lot to offer up in terms of messages. So I'll be seeing this tomorrow, I can't wait! :)
  • Like 3

This is probably the kind of Disney movie that would lend itself well to an animated series, a la The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King, Hercules, Lilo & Stitch, etc.

Well, that Timon & Pumba series was a total waste. There never was a Simba and Nala centric series right? I wish there had been Mulan and Emperor's New Groove shows though. Kronk wonderfulness was worthy of weekly coverage.

tumblr_mlfctwJoA41qgl9bko1_500.gif

• Like 3

Tomato Watch:

Big Hero 6

Reviews: 100
Fresh/Rotten: 89 Fresh / 11 Rotten Certified Fresh
89% Fresh / 11% Rotten
Average Rating: 7.2 / 10

Critics Consensus:

Agreeably entertaining and brilliantly animated,

Big Hero 6 hits its target audience --

even if it doesn't reach the transcendent creative

heights of some recent Disney efforts.

Cream of the Crop
Reviews: 33
Fresh/Rotten: 29 Fresh / 4 Rotten
88% Fresh / 12% Rotten
Average Rating: 7.2 / 10

Strong average.

• Like 2

Some critics seem to think that the film was made for commersial purposes, such as mentions of sequels, merchanding and and TV-show getting made. Do you think that it is because this is a superhero film that has some Saturday morning cartoon elements? I do not think the critics have been this cynical of the past WDAS films. I do not think Big Hero 6 has been made any more commersial purposes in mind the WDAS films usually are.

• Like 3

Going to see this tonight.  :)

And for the record, I never stated that Saturday Morning Cartoons are bad.  Quite the opposite.

Nor did I say I was expecting it to be Frozen or the Incredibles.  I said it's silly to expect it to be that.  It's silly to expect it to 'be' anything other than what it is.  People build up too much expectation in their minds based on other movies.

• Like 3

Some critics seem to think that the film was made for commersial purposes, such as mentions of sequels, merchanding and and TV-show getting made. Do you think that it is because this is a superhero film that has some Saturday morning cartoon elements? I do not think the critics have been this cynical of the past WDAS films. I do not think Big Hero 6 has been made any more commersial purposes in mind the WDAS films usually are.

I think the thing here is that it's silly to assume that ANY Disney movie is made completely devoid of commercial awareness.  Disney makes a lot selling products.  They're not likely to greenlight something that has absolutely no commercial value outside of the movie itself.  In that way, I don't expect it to be any different than any other Disney film (or other kids' film really).

• Like 2

When Pixar was developing Toy Story, Disney knew it had commercial appeal since kids would want to have their Woody or Buzz. Even bombs like The Lone Ranger had tie-ins. 

Big Hero 6 if successful, will allow Disney to expand their boy centric merchandise which is currently Cars, Star Wars and Marvel. They've got girls cornered with Frozen, princesses and Disney Channel shows but for years they struggled with appealing to boys.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1