Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Is it just me or have the latest WDAS movies outShreked the Shrek movies?

How are they like Shrek? :blink:

And I agree, the title of Big Hero 6 felt a bit shoehorned in at the end.  There was never really any discussion on why they even chose that name.

I think that Don Hall just likes how it sounds, which was originally why he selected this property (along with two others) to pitch to John Lasseter.

I haven't seen Big Hero 6, but IDK what the heck you're talking about with LEGO; that movie had the potential to just be ADD and keep us happy, but then the third act transcends the film into making it what's still the best (not counting anything I haven't seen and Interstellar, since I need a rewatch to solidify what I think of that) mainstream movie of the year.

The third act of The Lego Movie seemed to consist primarily of characters standing around giving drawn-out speeches that spelled the movie's themes out to the audience like we're a bunch of dummies. The cheesy, cloying live-action scenes only made things worse.

I cried.

I yawned and rolled my eyes.

So Frozen had zero impact on BH6's opening weekend. BH6 and Wreck It Ralph have almost the exact same OW. :blink:

The final numbers aren't in, but in any case I don't think that many expected Frozen's popularity to boost Big Hero 6's OW all THAT much. $60M seems to have been a popular target, and it could still reach that, but even a 10% increase over Wreck-It Ralph's opening instead of 20% would still be pretty good, disappointing though that may be to some of us ($60M was the low end of my range--I guess the alleged "animation fatigue" this year is still in effect to some degree).

• Like 1

If Interstellar didn't open on the same weekend, I imagine BH6 would have opened higher. That being said, its still a great result.

Its embarrassing for DWA that for the second year running, a rival studio and WDAS beat them domestically. Penguins of Madagascar should make up some of the shortfall.

How are they like Shrek? :blink:  

I just rewatched TANGLED last night (and FROZEN a week ago), and both movies seem to be playing with fairy tale tropes the same way SHREK did so wonderfully, at least in the first two movies. I haven't seen SHREK 3 or 4, so I can't speak to those, but WDAS appears to have learned a lesson from that franchise, that there are ways to freshen up the fairy tale/"princess" genre that pokes fun at the conventions while standing as a homage to them.

And then there's WIR, which was a bit of a play on BEAUTY AND THE BEAST mixed with MONSTERS INC.

Big Hero 6 The Disney superhero-Japanese anime-inspired toon racked up an estimated $7.6 million in its third weekend from 17 territories.  Russia has the motherload of the foreign take counting $18.2 million from Big Hero 6’s $23 million overseas total (worldwide stands at $79.2 million). Big Hero 6 also holds the record in Russia as being the second biggest Disney-Pixar toon release of all-time. No. 1s were hit in the Philippines, Vietnam and Indonesia. The mega-foreign rollout for Big Hero 6 is staggered, capitalizing on school holidays overseas with Italy going Dec. 18, Spain on Dec. 19 and Japan on Dec. 20 for starters.  The robot pic storms into Mexico, Trinidad, Singapore, Malaysia and Cambodia next weekend.

• Like 1

I don't intend to see spoilers, because by February it will probably happen, this is my last on this great thread (what a great community, absolutely no insults or disrespect, that's so good to see civilized fans :D), I will leave you with a few pics :

Big-Hero-6-Latin-American-Poster-big-her

Honey-Lemon-big-hero-6-37739324-310-500.

Tomorrow-big-hero-6-37756063-500-500.png

Big-Hero-6-big-hero-6-37739328-464-500.j

Hiro-big-hero-6-37715108-347-500.jpg

• Like 2

I loved the way Baymax's voice sounded, very calm and pleasant :D

I also loved the fact while Baymax was a robot

in so many ways he evolved and became human

And do you guys think that it was kind of a

Supernatural thing?

It would make sense that Baymax

grew to care about them, it was his prime directive to 

Oh God I loved how they

built it up how he became evolved, it was true genius

When I got done watching it was pretty much that for me I thought,

do you guys also feel that Tadashi was alive in Baymax somehow? I know that's pretty much a given. Especially with the chip inside Baymax was beautiful. I know Tadashi made him to help others, the way he would himself

And while Baymax had his own lovable and genuine characteristics,

I can't help but feel that way about Tadashi

• Like 1

Will be interesting to track its legs... did WiR have serious animated competition (comparable to the Penguins)?

The only animated competition it faced was Rise of the Guardians.

In terms of the mega hits, WIR faced Breaking Dawn Part 2, Skyfall, and the first Hobbit movie.

I demand a crossover with Marvel featuring Baymax, Rocket and Groot.

Guaranteed a billion dollars domestically. $500 billion dollars in merchandise alone.

:D:rofl::excited: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

(I ran out of likes, I would like your comment :) )

Edited by GuardiaStar

Err....it had Rise of the Guardians...

right... i completely forgot about that one. I wonder if Penguins will bomb as hard... though i suspect it will do quite a bit better (also i would assume its cheaper anyways)

The only animated competition it faced was Rise of the Guardians.

In terms of the mega hits, WIR faced Breaking Dawn Part 2, Skyfall, and the first Hobbit movie.

so overall competition is really somewhat similar... maybe even a bit weaker. Mockingjay might be a bit stronger than those, but then we probably wont see any more ~300M grossers at the end of the year.