diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

3 million admission for TG seems to be a lock.

How high can it go?

With $20 million after this weekend, South Korea seems to be the biggest market outside the US so far for Terminator Genisys.

Weekend increases were great, more than I expected. If it holds well against pixels this week I think 4 million admissions (around $32M) will come into the picture. That would be classed as a respectable hit in Korea.

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

My gues for IO is more like 2.5M admiss (Unless minions comes out soon)

Minions opens on the 30th, so not a direct competition.

I was half expecting (or hoping maybe) that it would increase today. usually films don't behave like that without good word of mouth. 2.5 million admissions would be a phenomenal result for IO considering the market and I think it could happen. It just needs a 3.7X multi off it's 3 day OW. 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Minions opens on the 30th, so not a direct competition.

I was half expecting (or hoping maybe) that it would increase today. usually films don't behave like that without good word of mouth. 2.5 million admissions would be a phenomenal result for IO considering the market and I think it could happen. It just needs a 4X multi off it's 3 day OW. 

I just hopes it increases next weekend than 2.5M would be locked. But yeah 4x does sound resenable in SK if you have good Wom (I hope it has it :D)

• Like 1

I just hopes it increases next weekend than 2.5M would be locked. But yeah 4x does sound resenable in SK if you have good Wom (I hope it has it :D)

Well, even freaking Cars got a X3.87 multi so I'd be seriously disappointed with anything less :D

Week 2 looks pretty okay barring Pixels but local film Assassination will put a huge dent in it in terms of showtimes and screens on week 3 (although I still imagine IO will do well on weekends due to the difference in demo). 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 2

Tom Cruise is scheduled to visit Korea to promote MI5 on July 30th, the day of the release. Needless to say,Tom Cruise is a major draw for audiences and according to CGV research, is actually the movie star with the biggest draw in Korea. 

This will be his 7th time visiting Korea and he even has a nickname among fans here who call him "Friendly Mr. Tom".

Video: http://movie.naver.com/movie/bi/mi/mediaView.nhn?code=95541&mid=27630#tab

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 2

Tom Cruise is scheduled to visit Korea to promote MI5 on July 30th, the day of the release. Needless to say,Tom Cruise is a major draw for audiences and according to CGV research, is actually the movie star with the biggest draw in Korea. 

This will be his 7th time visiting Korea and he even has a nickname among fans here who call him "Kind Mr. Tom".

Video: http://movie.naver.com/movie/bi/mi/mediaView.nhn?code=95541&mid=27630#tab

MI4 did $51m in SK in 2011, can we expect AOU number for MI5 this time around? :lol:

Which film do you think will win the summer box office? Also have you heard anything about "Beauty Inside"?

There was a private market screening in Cannes and I believe the reaction was positive, though that's hardly any kind of indication!

Really hard to predict who will take the crown this summer. Earlier this year I was guessing ASSASSINATION but having seen it yesterday, I'm not sure it'll go the distance. It's impressive and the historical angle may attract an older crowd but I'm not sure younger people will go for it. It'll certainly do well but may do numbers in line with THE BERLIN FILE.

MI5 will do gangbusters, and 10 million is not out of the question, especially with Busan Honorary Citizen Mr. Cruise returning!

I've heard great things about VETERAN and CJ is holding an earlier than usual press screening (next Tuesday), which is generally a show of confidence. That said, the film feels more like a souped up version of THE UNJUST than THE BERLIN FILE, which is exactly what I want to see, but may prevent it from being a massive hit. Hwang Jung-min will hit the older crowd though and the film feels cool enough get younger people too, though the lack of women may also hurt it. Ultimately, could wind up in 5-8 mil range maybe?

MEMORIES OF THE SWORD is the wild card. It's very late, but after the relative success of TERMINATOR it seems Lee Byung-hun is no longer a pariah in the public's eye. There also hasn't been a period hit in a while. That will either work in its favor or against it. I really don't know how to call this one...

THE BEAUTY INSIDE should do great for its genre, but no romance film has ever cracked 5 mil (save A WEREWOLF BOY, but that was different), so I wouldn't expect more than that. There's also OFFICE, which I enjoyed (with reservations) and I imagine the filmmakers hope to score somewhere in the range of HIDE AND SEEK but I think it's a stretch. 2-3 mil tops.

Final prediction? The top 3 Korean releases all feel like 7ish grossers for me, while MI5 should do a little more. That said, one of the local releases will probably break out, while another suffers. It's anybody's guess which one that is...

• Like 1

Monday Box Office (July 13) 

-Admissions  (Total Adm)   Daily%  Gross   (weekly%)    [sC]    {wk}   <Title>

1.   94,455       (4,790,442)   -72.6%   $608K     (-27.8%)     [722]  {Wk4} <Northern Limit Line>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.   80,925        (831,000)     -73.4%   $552K         (--)          [577]  {Wk2} <Inside Out
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.   58,859       (2,692,988)   -76.9%   $414K     (-55.9%)     [651]  {Wk3} <Terminator Genisys
4.   49,032        (285,682)     -33.0%   $335K         (--)          [370]  {Wk2} <Insidious 3>  

5.   43,045        (632,896)     -69.9%   $287K         (--)          [499]  {Wk2} <The Piper

Total admissions: 372,359
Total Gross: $2,496,106
June Total: $63,169,014

Cumulative Gross

Jurassic World: $40.75 million

Northern Limit Line: $33.68 million
Terminator Genisys: $19.91 million
Inside Out: $5.75 million

Current presales (9:30 AM)

01. 25.3% (21,393) Inside Out
02. 15.0% (12,661) Northern Limit Line
03. 11.9% (10,033) Assassination
04.   9.8%   (8,312) Terminator Genisys
05.   7.0%   (5,917) Pixels

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 3

What are the chances for Minions in Korea? Is it popular there?

Despicable me 1-2 weren't all that popular (1,043,904 and 962,865 admissions respectively) and it opens against some heavy hitters so I'm pessimistic for it's chances. 

There was a private market screening in Cannes and I believe the reaction was positive, though that's hardly any kind of indication!

Really hard to predict who will take the crown this summer. Earlier this year I was guessing ASSASSINATION but having seen it yesterday, I'm not sure it'll go the distance. It's impressive and the historical angle may attract an older crowd but I'm not sure younger people will go for it. It'll certainly do well but may do numbers in line with THE BERLIN FILE.

MI5 will do gangbusters, and 10 million is not out of the question, especially with Busan Honorary Citizen Mr. Cruise returning!

I've heard great things about VETERAN and CJ is holding an earlier than usual press screening (next Tuesday), which is generally a show of confidence. That said, the film feels more like a souped up version of THE UNJUST than THE BERLIN FILE, which is exactly what I want to see, but may prevent it from being a massive hit. Hwang Jung-min will hit the older crowd though and the film feels cool enough get younger people too, though the lack of women may also hurt it. Ultimately, could wind up in 5-8 mil range maybe?

MEMORIES OF THE SWORD is the wild card. It's very late, but after the relative success of TERMINATOR it seems Lee Byung-hun is no longer a pariah in the public's eye. There also hasn't been a period hit in a while. That will either work in its favor or against it. I really don't know how to call this one...

THE BEAUTY INSIDE should do great for its genre, but no romance film has ever cracked 5 mil (save A WEREWOLF BOY, but that was different), so I wouldn't expect more than that. There's also OFFICE, which I enjoyed (with reservations) and I imagine the filmmakers hope to score somewhere in the range of HIDE AND SEEK but I think it's a stretch. 2-3 mil tops.

Final prediction? The top 3 Korean releases all feel like 7ish grossers for me, while MI5 should do a little more. That said, one of the local releases will probably break out, while another suffers. It's anybody's guess which one that is...

You've already seen Assassination? Do you work in some area of the film business by any chance?

Inside Out's first Monday is above it's opening day which is pretty uncommon. May be because it opened pretty low to begin with though. 

[7/13~ 7/19] Weekly predictions (admissions)

Monday: 81K

Tuesday: 79K

Wednesday: 74K

Thursday: 70K

Friday: 100K

Saturday: 190K

Sunday: 180K

total: 1.6M admissions by the end of the week

• Like 1

Good point about romance being a weak genre but I think we could include Titanic along with A Werewolf Boy which did 1.9 million admissions in Seoul alone during it's original release. It's very likely that it finished with over 5 million admissions nationally

EDIT: also, 200 pounds beauty (미녀는 괴로워) which did 6,619,498 admissions back in 2006

Edited by Rsyu