diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

Seems pretty low but I guess this is the average level for animated movies here. Anyways as per Rsyu animated films don't make much here due to being considered childish or only-for children stuff. In that case, a movie that actually perfectly fits that description (Minions) shouldn't be able to make much here either, I think.

DM2 OD was less than 10k, Minions will open to around 100k.

DM2 OD was less than 10k, Minions will open to around 100k.

Unless it does some weird opening like Home earlier in the year when the opening day was pretty much nothing only for it to then randomly explode into decent(ish) numbers for the weekend.

Although holiday time could well stop that.

South Korea is an enigma. While Pixar doesn't do well, the slapstick-heavy belly-laugh animation like Ice Age and Madagascar doesn't do well either. Animation seems pigeonholed as kids' stuff, yet kids don't turn out in high enough numbers to put family animated films in the top 10 for the year like in many other countries. (Or does this prove that in other countries, adults do indeed take to that "kiddie" stuff too?)

Anyway, Korea only seems to care about Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, the last couple Disney films, and now Inside Out. I can't find a pattern. There seem to be themes of family, honor, place in the community, etc. running through some of them (Po's relationship with his foster dad, Hiccup's relationship with his father, Anna and Elsa, Hiro having to deal with the loss of his brother), but not all of them. And could it be more "emotional" films? (Parts of Frozen/BH6, HTTYD/KFP, and IO in particular) But Up was an emotional film with a family dynamic, Brave also had a family dynamic, and those didn't do well in SK at all.

I can't figure it out. I can figure out North America's dual strains of the kids who love broad comedy and the more mature who like the thoughtful and emotional stuff. I can figure out Japan's reference for the thoughtful and emotional, and ambivalence toward slapstick and kiddie comedy. I can figure out that most of the world seems to like the Ice Ages and Madagascars and Minions. SK confuses me. (And I think there may be similar patterns in the rest of Asia outside of China and India?)

• Like 1

South Korea is an enigma. While Pixar doesn't do well, the slapstick-heavy belly-laugh animation like Ice Age and Madagascar doesn't do well either. Animation seems pigeonholed as kids' stuff, yet kids don't turn out in high enough numbers to put family animated films in the top 10 for the year like in many other countries. (Or does this prove that in other countries, adults do indeed take to that "kiddie" stuff too?)

Anyway, Korea only seems to care about Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, the last couple Disney films, and now Inside Out. I can't find a pattern. There seem to be themes of family, honor, place in the community, etc. running through some of them (Po's relationship with his foster dad, Hiccup's relationship with his father, Anna and Elsa, Hiro having to deal with the loss of his brother), but not all of them. And could it be more "emotional" films? (Parts of Frozen/BH6, HTTYD/KFP, and IO in particular) But Up was an emotional film with a family dynamic, Brave also had a family dynamic, and those didn't do well in SK at all.

I can't figure it out. I can figure out North America's dual strains of the kids who love broad comedy and the more mature who like the thoughtful and emotional stuff. I can figure out Japan's reference for the thoughtful and emotional, and ambivalence toward slapstick and kiddie comedy. I can figure out that most of the world seems to like the Ice Ages and Madagascars and Minions. SK confuses me. (And I think there may be similar patterns in the rest of Asia outside of China and India?)

About animated films, Korea has only just started to open up to it really. Before frozen, only dreamworks and maybe Ghibli had any real draw out of kid demo and the quality of the film didn't really matter as much as which studio it came from. Only in the last 1-2 of years, coupled with the rise of SNS, word of mouth has come to have a really big say in the box office run of films, more than in your average country which has come to give non-dreamworks films like Frozen and Inside out a fighting chance. If the critically acclaimed animated films of the past were released in the current box office I think they would have done a whole lot better and not just because of the growth in box office. 

I agree there isn't really a pattern in the kind of animated films Koreans like yet because on the whole, we still don't like it that much compared to live action. I suspect that going forward, emotionally resonant films will do well, as will films with good musical themes. Humor is good but slapstick comedy such as the ones in Ice age aren't really popular here and I don't see that changing. Looking back it's actually a wonder that shrek did so well considering all the pop culture references that I'm sure flew over most people's heads. Just shows how strong Dreamworks' stranglehold on the animation market was back then I guess. 

Tuesday Box Office (July 28) 

(*optimized for the IP board blue format)

-Admissions  (Total Adm)  Daily%   Gross   (weekly%)   [sC]    {wk}   <Title>

1.   395,836     (4,190,716)   -6.80%   $2.56M        (--)       [1,406] {Wk2} <Assassination> 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.   139,237     (3,478,406)       --        $860K    (+12.0%)    [708]  {Wk4} <Inside Out
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.    36,861       (350,547)    +0.59%   $214K          (--)        [410]  {Wk2} <Yokai-Watch
4.    24,082      (5,978,830)  +1.09%   $147K     (-62.7%)    [429]  {Wk6} <Northern Limit Line>  

5.    12,950       (671,195)    +0.18%    $80K      (-66.7%)    [329]  {Wk3} <Pixels

Total admissions: 648,575
Total Gross: $4,100,078
June Total: $135,808,612

Cumulative Gross

Northern Limit Line: $41.35 million

Inside Out: $23.51 million
Assassination: $27.89 million

Current presales (Midnight)

01. 31.0% (155,225) Assassination
02. 26.6% (133,206) Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
03. 21.7% (108,509) Minions
04. 13.1%   (65,473) Inside Out
05.   2.4%   (12,022) Yokai-watch

• Like 5

MI5 currently running ahead in presales for the first time. It happened later than I anticipated though. First time in a while when I wasn't sure which film will take the #1 spot in the box office. Should be fun to track :)

Current presales (5PM)

01. 33.8% (177,620) Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

02. 33.1% (173,929) Assassination

03. 17.2%   (90,290) Minions

04.   9.8%   (51,646) Inside Out

05.   1.1%     (6,010) Yokai-Watch

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

MI5 currently running ahead in presales for the first time. It happened later than I anticipated though. First time in a while when I wasn't sure which film will take the #1 spot in the box office. Should be fun to track :)

Current presales (5PM)

03. 17.2% (90,290) Minions

04. 9.8% (51,646) Inside Out

05. 1.1% (6,010) Yokai-Watch

Awww.....i hope MI:RN will match MI:GP's run?Between which movie has the highest admission that had'nt open number one?...

And i see a band named INFINITE will perform during TC's promotion...is that a popular band?

Awww.....i hope MI:RN will match MI:GP's run?Between which movie has the highest admission that had'nt open number one?...

And i see a band named INFINITE will perform during TC's promotion...is that a popular band?

Yeah I don't see why not. As for the biggest film that didn't open at #1 on OD, it was Ode to my father from last year and it finished with 14,257,163 admissions. A better comparison though might be The Pirates which opened 2nd against Roaring currents in the summer box office and finished with 8.67M admissions. 

INFINITE is a pretty popular boy band in Korea and should draw interest from the younger generation. 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Current presales (5PM)

03. 17.2%   (90,290) Minions

04.   9.8%   (51,646) Inside Out

05.   1.1%     (6,010) Yokai-Watch

Rsyu, how is this Minions number? Too low for pre-sales or OK?

Wow...i am surprised of these facts.!!...so south korea is arguably the best WOM market in the world...:-):-)

certainly in recent years it's been moving in that direction. Because almost everybody in Korea owns a smartphone, and SNS usage is very high, positive and negative reactions to films spreads very fast and movies have become increasingly word of mouth driven 

• Like 1

Hey Rsyu, the last korean film that i watched was a hard day,roaring currents..And i have the pirates,the technicians,gangnam blues from last year..and the killer toon,the possessed are sleeping over a year in my hard disk..all of these are in my yet to watch list..of all which movie do u recommend first?

Rsyu, how is this Minions number? Too low for pre-sales or OK?

Presales are great atm but whether walk ups match it remains to be seen. Often, animated films see high presales and low walk ups because the majority of people that watch it are parents with children who are much more likely to pre-purchase tickets.

• Like 2

Hey Rsyu, the last korean film that i watched was a hard day,roaring currents..And i have the pirates,the technicians,gangnam blues from last year..and the killer toon,the possessed are sleeping over a year in my hard disk..all of these are in my yet to watch list..of all which movie do u recommend first?

Out of those films I enjoyed the pirates the most, very good for a laugh. Didn't really care much for Technicians or Gangnam blues though. Killer toon and possessed I haven't watched so I can't comment. 

• Like 1

mission-impossible-logo.png

Mission Impossible Box office

1. Mission Impossible (1996)

-OW: N/A

-Admissions (national): N/A

-Admissions (seoul): 622,237

-Gross: $10,581,446

2. Mission Impossible 2 (2000)

-OW: N/A

-Admissions (national): N/A

-Admissions (seoul): 1,230,633

-Gross: $13,587,885

3. Mission Impossible 3 (2006)

-OW: 998,889 admissions

-Admissions (national): 5,740,789

-Admissions (seoul): 1,584,202

-Gross: $37,618,495

4. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)

-OW: 1,449,544 admissions

-Admissions (national): 7,575,899

-Admissions (seoul): 2,347,164

-Gross: $51,069,827

• Like 3

As an action,thriller fanatic i do love 200 pounds of beauty,Mr&Mrs.______something i dont remember and a movie where the girl happened to see ghosts who onesidely love a rich boy.....hopes u know the title....i enjoyed these movies a lot...would you please recommend some of the same kind of romantic comedies...?

Out of those films I enjoyed the pirates the most, very good for a laugh. Didn't really care much for Technicians or Gangnam blues though. Killer toon and possessed I haven't watched so I can't comment. 

Ouch! I hate THE PIRATES and love GANGNAM BLUES (I'm a big Yoo Ha fan). CON ARTISTS (aka TECHNICIANS) is so-so. 

KILLER TOON is underwhelming but POSSESSED is one of the very best K-horrors out there.

• Like 1