diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

There are very few seats remaining for interstellar in the biggest IMAX theatre until at least the 19th. This includes morning showtimes during the weekdays. Weekends are over 70% sold out until the 23rd. Tickets beyond that are not available at the moment. Demand for non-IMAX theatres are lower of course but since there are only 15 IMAX screens in Korea, I think spillover effect could happen.

• Like 1

Interstellar Sunday (11/09)

Admissions (Total): 647,101 (1,904,054)
Gross (Total) : $4.799 million ($14.16 million)
Current presales : 160,767 (85.3% share)-Next highest movie share is 2.9%.....

Ratings
Naver Netizen: 9.42/10 (11,676 votes)
Naver audience: 9.34/10 (1,476 votes)
Naver critic: 7.90/10 (10 votes)
*Inception's Naver ratings were 9.20/NA/7.93
*Gravity's Naver ratings are 8.27/9.26/8.67

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 8

Biggest November OW (3 day weekend)

1,659,442 Interstellar NEW
02. 1,316,794 2012
03.    880,661 Breaking dawn pt.2
04.    735,694 Haunted
05.    623,938 Quantum of solace
06.    568,552 Confession of murder
07.    528,030 When romance meets destiny
08.    491,113 Portrait of a beauty
09.    479,990 Immortals
10.    472,630 Le grand chef

Comparisons between Interstellar, Inception, Gravity and 2012.

Inception because it's a original sci-fi film by the same director, Gravity because it's a space sci-fi with a similar release date and 2012 because it's currently the biggest November release. I skipped weekly comparisons in gross because the numbers in BOM was a bit iffy and comparing in local currency seemed a bit pointless. The gross in the opening includes previews and number of days differ from film to film. 2012, Gravity, and interstellar were all 4 day openings while inception was a 5 day

Admissions

YLWcLIg.jpg

Gross (Dollars)

pVKiZ0D.jpg

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 9

Interstellar Sunday (11/09)

Admissions (Total): 644,329 (1,901,282)

Gross (Total) : $4.767 million ($14.128 million)

Current presales : 160,767 (85.3% share)-Next highest movie share is 2.9%.....

Ratings

Naver Netizen: 9.42/10 (11,676 votes)

Naver audience: 9.34/10 (1,476 votes)

Naver critic: 7.90/10 (10 votes)

*Inception's Naver ratings were 9.20/NA/7.93

*Gravity's Naver ratings are 8.27/9.26/8.67

That's a great opening :o

• Like 1

Considering the loss in showtimes due to the movie's length, it is a great start for interstellar. It has a lot going for it now

• The presales are still crazy high
  • The ratings are holding very well (still the highest rated movie on naver)
  • It's daily numbers & article are posted on the main page of the biggest portal site in Korea which gets a lot of traffic helping build up the hype.
  • The multiple formats should help with repeat viewings too (emphasis on should).

Potential stumbling blocks

• Bad release date (Although if it has 2012 legs, it would still gross $40 million plus)
  • Competition? Local release cart (next week) has been getting broad media attention. Presales are still low so I don't know how it will play. Mockingjay and fury drop a week after that.
  • Frontloadedness? I haven't seen any evidence that says so but Korea has it's share of Nolan followers so who knows.
  • Exchange rate is at it's lowest point in year 2014. 
Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 2

Interstellar's seat saturation was very high for a film outside the holiday frame. Saturday and Sunday was above 60% saturation and IMAX theatres especially had a seat saturation of 88%.  

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

Away from interstellar for a while, a local film name Gugkje market (국제시장, Ode to my father is the english title) is likely to be the biggest hit of this winter. With a proven director and a male lead with a lot of star power, it could turn out to the next film to hit 10 million admissions. No set release date yet, but it should drop around the winter holidays during the month of December. Personally I really like Hwang jung-min (male lead) who produced an epic performance in New world (신세계) so my expectations for it is high. I can't wait to see it!. 

Poster 1

movie_image.jpg?type=m665_443_2

Poster 2

movie_image.jpg?type=m665_443_2

Teaser trailer

CJ entertainments, the distributor of the behemoth Roaring currents, will be handling the distribution of this film too so you can bet they will promote it like crazy. 

What is this movie about? Forrest Gump South Korea version? 

I'm surprised you know of it but yeah that's right, the director himself called it that. It's follows the life of a man through the history of the modern era from the Korean war onwards, how he gave up his dream and lived a hard life for his children and never lived a moment for himself. It has all the elements that Koreans can really relate to.

Edited by Rsyu