diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

if it can have another 2 weeks of solid run it should make 8M + admissions. That is Avengers/IM3 leve in korea. Basically this is having awesome run in korea while china is great as well(though kind of expected considering how big the market is).

If this week stays near OW level and week four holds really well, then I really think 10 million admissions will happen.

If it does make it to 10 million I wouldn't hesitate to call it the most impressive BO run ever in Korea. November is a terrible month for movies and no other movie has made it to 10M without holiday weekdays.

• Like 3

Any chance at $60m total?

A lot depends on thursday number but I think that there's a good possibility. Presales are crazy for a film in it's 3rd week.

Something like

Gross up to week 2-$35M

Week 3 gross-$13M

Week 4 gross-$8-9M

Week 5 gross-$4-5M

Hope MJ1 and fury don't impact IS too much.

• Like 2

If this week stays near OW level and week four holds really well, then I really think 10 million admissions will happen.

If it does make it to 10 million I wouldn't hesitate to call it the most impressive BO run ever in Korea. November is a terrible month for movies and no other movie has made it to 10M without holiday weekdays.

Is there a chance that it could fall off suddenly? Like many movies do here.

Is there a chance that it could fall off suddenly? Like many movies do here.

Yes there is that possibility too. If MJ1 and Fury get good word of mouth and then there's another fairly anticpated local film opening next week too. Could be too much competition for limited number of audiences in Nov.

So IM3 made over $64m with only 8m admissions? That 3D effect is huge. It's amazing Nolan has enough power to keep the studios from converting his movies to 3D. They are leaving a lot of cash on the table with films like Inception, TDKR, and Interstellar.

IM3 got to 9 million admissions but yeah it benifited hugely from 3D+IMAX tickets. I think it's great that Nolan does 't rely on the 3D format like so many other films do, but I admit would have loved to see some of the scenes in interstellar in 3D.

• Like 1

So IM3 made over $64m with only 8m admissions? That 3D effect is huge. It's amazing Nolan has enough power to keep the studios from converting his movies to 3D. They are leaving a lot of cash on the table with films like Inception, TDKR, and Interstellar.

If I was a studio executive I would insist on releasing the said movies on 3d, atleast OS. Even though I personally detest 3d.

• Like 2

But presales for MJ1 are kind of weak. Don't you think?

But presales for MJ1 are kind of weak. Don't you think?

Right now yeah but it's quadrupled since yesterday and will increase more rapidly as we approach OD. OW could be pretty average but it could hold well with good word of mouth.

• Like 1

IM3 got to 9 million admissions but yeah it benifited hugely from 3D+IMAX tickets. I think it's great that Nolan does 't rely on the 3D format like so many other films do, but I admit would have loved to see some of the scenes in interstellar in 3D.

2D IMAX for this film is incredible though. Besides the fact that 3D glasses give me a headache, I don't like the fact that it makes the screen look about 10-20% smaller than without glasses. 2D IMAX with Interstellar gives you the full scale of the movie, which is awesome. I just wish there were a lot more 70mm IMAX screens in the world so all of us could see what he envisioned in the largest format.

• Like 1

2D IMAX for this film is incredible though. Besides the fact that 3D glasses give me a headache, I don't like the fact that it makes the screen look about 10-20% smaller than without glasses. 2D IMAX with Interstellar gives you the full scale of the movie, which is awesome. I just wish there were a lot more 70mm IMAX screens in the world so all of us could see what he envisioned in the largest format.

Yeah 2D IMAX is the best format for interstellar no question. I just think some of the space scenes could have been really worthwhile to witness in 3D. For other films I usually dislike 3D as a rule too.

I'm really jealous of people who got to see this in 70mm...

• Like 1

Yeah 2D IMAX is the best format for interstellar no question. I just think some of the space scenes could have been really worthwhile to witness in 3D. For other films I usually dislike 3D as a rule too.

I'm really jealous of people who got to see this in 70mm...

I'm just glad I even got to see it in digital IMAX. The LieMAX screen in my town only opened a year ago. It's a nice one though. I estimate at least 40 feet tall. I am very jealous of the people in Sydney and New York. I would love to see this movie in 10k resolution on a 80-90 foot tall screen. :blink:  :o

• Like 1

People don't seem to understand how amazing IS is doing without 3d. It's beating Gravity's admissions nearly everywhere. Total gross shouldn't be far off either, 700m could happen if Korea and China continues to impress. Can IS beat IM3 here?

It would need to break out big in Japan to get near $700 million I think.

As for IM3 in Korea, If it keeps it's current pace it's pretty much locked to beat IM3. Plenty of hurdles to overcome before it can do that though. 

Current presales (3:29 PM)

01. 71.0%  (217,915)  Interstellar  

02. 10.7%    (32,769)  The Hunger games: MJ1

03.   4.9%    (15,146)  Fury

Interstellar still has the fastest rate of increase even though it's currently playing while the other two are yet to be released. 

• Like 4