Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

If you're planning to see it, it's worth seeing on a big screen (even if it's just a dollar theater). Go buy yourself some pot brownies. :lol: 

:thinking:   Alas, I do not have a medical condition that allows for the use of pot in NY, so I have to get it's effects passively while others may or may not break the law. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think Besson picked them himself.

Besson has a thing for young models, I think. IIRC the opera singer from 5th Element was his girlfriend at the time, but during filming he broke up with her and started dating Milla. If you watch the behind-the-scenes stuff of Valerian, he's pretty hands-on with Cara.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gumby said:

This looks like it could have been a lot of fun with different leads.

How on earth did they decide on these two?

I feel like you're judging DeHaan and Cara off of a few performances rather than their personalities, mannerisms, range, etc.  A bad performance in one movie does not guarantee a bad performance in another.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GrimFandango said:

Besson has a thing for young models, I think. IIRC the opera singer from 5th Element was his girlfriend at the time, but during filming he broke up with her and started dating Milla. If you watch the behind-the-scenes stuff of Valerian, he's pretty hands-on with Cara.

Besson actually had relationships with 3 of his actresses during his career.

Nikita : Anne Parillaud

Malwenn : The Profesisonnel/Leon, she was way underrage.:wacko:

Mila : she also was super young whe he cast her for The 5th element.

Now he is settled, has kids and his wife is actually his producing partner, just like Nolan and Snyder.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I feel like you're judging DeHaan and Cara off of a few performances rather than their personalities, mannerisms, range, etc.  A bad performance in one movie does not guarantee a bad performance in another.

The main complaint about this movie over the last 100 or so pages are about how miscast the leads are based yes on previous performances - both good (mostly DeHaan) and bad (mostly Cara) - then on the trailers. Reading the reviews even the positive ones - they're surprise surprise reportedly miscast to the point they're actively terrible and drag down the movie.

• Like 8

It is a good thing that Dunkirk and Valerian are releasing at the same time for me personally. I promised my father that I would save Dunkirk for a time when we would see it together this summer, so if my mother wants to see a movie when I go to her house next weekend, I can suggest Valerian instead, and I think she would be more interested in that one anyway.

19 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

The main complaint about this movie over the last 100 or so pages are about how miscast the leads are based yes on previous performances - both good (mostly DeHaan) and bad (mostly Cara) - then on the trailers. Reading the reviews even the positive ones - they're surprise surprise reportedly miscast to the point they're actively terrible and drag down the movie.

But they aren't. IMO, anyway. 

• Like 4