Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

7 minutes ago, Block-Busted said:

Any chance of this film getting a late IMAX release like how 'Transformers', 'World War Z', 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles', 'Mad Max: Fury Road', 'The Martian', and 'Jason Bourne' did some time in August or September 15?

It's possible...if it does well enough.  Dunkirk has a 5-week IMAX deal, which means until August 25.  Then there's one week before Inhumans has IMAX.  Although there's also the possibility that Dunkirk just keeps IMAX again, Annabelle: Creation, or Hitman's Bodyguard get it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

It's possible...if it does well enough.  Dunkirk has a 5-week IMAX deal, which means until August 25.  Then there's one week before Inhumans has IMAX.  Although there's also the possibility that Dunkirk just keeps IMAX again, Annabelle: Creation, or Hitman's Bodyguard get it

Where did you read that 'Dunkirk' has 5-weeks IMAX deal?

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think IMAX might do a deal with Sony for Dark Tower at the last minute if Dunkirk isn't performing good enough for IMAX's bottom line. The IMAX where I'm seeing Dunkirk says they only will be playing it until August 3rd, which makes me think they are expecting IMAX to do something else on August 4th. 

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think IMAX might do a deal with Sony for Dark Tower at the last minute if Dunkirk isn't performing good enough for IMAX's bottom line. The IMAX where I'm seeing Dunkirk says they only will be playing it until August 3rd, which makes me think they are expecting IMAX to do something else on August 4th. 

Yeah... I don't think 'The Dark Tower' is going to get an IMAX release.

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Read it somewhere in the Dunkirk thread or another thread I believe.  Can't find the exact article right now.

Well, I think we can agree that it will stay at least for 3 weeks. I'm thinking that anything can happen after that.

By the way, is it possible to provide a link for that thread?

As for August 25, that's when 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day' getting a re-release, so I think that one will get an IMAX release.

And I seriously doubt that those other 2 films you've mentioned will get an IMAX release given that IMAX has got somewhat smarter with their releases since 'Fifty Shades of Grey' backlash.

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Probably not, but it seems to be the only new release scheduled in August that stands a chance at getting IMAX. 

Well... in all fairness, that's the same time when 'Valerian' gets a wider release internationally, so... there's that.

And if that doesn't work out, they'll probably give either 'Despicable Me 3' of 'War for the Planet of the Apes' a late IMAX release instead of giving 'The Dark Tower' an IMAX release.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

49 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Am curious about the 5-week deal. How can it be made without any other studio protesting and asking for room to be made for themselves. For eg Apes is just 1 week older than D. If D can have IMAX in week 5, why not Apes in week 3?

Just now, a2knet said:

Am curious about the 5-week deal. How can it be made without any other studio protesting and asking for room to be made for themselves. For eg Apes is just 1 week older than D. If D can have IMAX in week 5, why not Apes in week 3?

Probably goes back to the days when WB propped up IMAX. Other studios weren't involved. So WB has a really good deal now, especially for Nolan. If you have ever seen interviews with the IMAX executives, they worship the guy even more than his fans. :lol:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Probably goes back to the days when WB propped up IMAX. Other studios weren't involved. So WB has a really good deal now, especially for Nolan. If you have ever seen interviews with the IMAX executives, they worship the guy even more than his fans. :lol:

Well, in all fairness, 'The Dark Knight Rises' and 'Interstellar' managed to keep IMAX release for 6 weeks because the former featured one of the most iconic superheroes of all time while the latter was a big-budget space film (which IMA rarely leaves behind) with 'Mockingjay - Part 1' being a political drama film set mostly underground.

'Dunkirk', on the other hand, is a World War II film, so in some ways, it stands less chance than previous 2 Nolan films.

Edited by Block-Busted
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Block-Busted said:

Well, in all fairness, 'The Dark Knight Rises' and 'Interstellar' managed to keep IMAX release for 6 weeks because the former featured one of the most iconic superheroes of all time while the latter was a big-budget space film (which IMA rarely leaves behind) with 'Mockingjay - Part 1' being a political drama film set mostly underground.

'Dunkirk', on the other hand, is a World War II film, so in some ways, it stands less chance than previous 2 Nolan films.

They kept IMAX because Nolan actually shot in the 15/70 IMAX format, which cannot be said of 99.9% of Hollywood movies. He has a "special relationship" with IMAX if you want to call it that. We'll see how it goes on Dunkirk. 

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

They kept IMAX because Nolan actually shot in the 15/70 IMAX format, which cannot be said of 99.9% of Hollywood movies. He has a "special relationship" with IMAX if you want to call it that. We'll see how it goes on Dunkirk. 

Well, 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' was shot in that format and stayed only for 3 weeks, so... there's that too.