Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Atomic Blonde is definitely targeting much of the same audience. It's a niche actioner with Euro vibes. Trust me, a lot of the people that see Valerian will be capable of seeing an R rated movie as well. I'm one of 'em. I'm sure there are many, many more as well.

I don't agree with the part that I bolded.

Got my ticket for tonight in 3D!

Just got to make it through work today, and then I'm on my way. Reserved seating, recliners and beer. Most good seats already taken, but I got a decent one. About 50% full according to chart.

actressmodel-cara-delevingne-arrives-at-

Edited by GrimFandango
  • Like 1

Just now, Block-Busted said:

I think there's a 50/50 chance right now.

And in all honesty, even if it doesn't, I don't think it will fall too much.

Lmao no, it could have 99% and It would still bomb so...

(and lowest is the RT more the chinese like it so... maybe)

Edited by Bastien

7 minutes ago, Bastien said:

Lmao no, it could have 99% and It would still bomb so...

(and lowest is the RT more the chinese like it so... maybe)

I mean the Tomatometer. Should it go to Rotten, it's probably going to stay on high-50s until it gets released in the U.K.

Oh, and noticed that I'm talking about the film's IMAX issue all the time? Yeah... that's at least partly because it wasn't shot in 3D.

24 minutes ago, Block-Busted said:

I don't agree with the part that I bolded.

It is rare to have a movie for which is audience is not vastly over 16 now.

In 2016 less than 24% of the ticket were bought by people that need to be accompanied to go see an R-rated movie.

Some PG-13 like ghost in a shell get first weekend with over 75% of it's opening weekend being over 25, considering that the 17-25 is by far the biggest age range by capita for ticket sold, not many were between 2-16 and the movie could have been R-rated without loosing.

Even a movie like Guardian of the Galaxy 2 get smaller and samller below 17 crowd nowaday (it was 60% over 25), teenager that were the biggest audience not so long ago are now hard to get into a theater.

Not so long ago in 2010 a movie like SALT, was only 59% over 25, last year 60% of Bourne audience was over.... 35, the last Bond movie openned with 78% of is audience over 25 (would not be surprised if they go R-rated for the next one).

Even for something that target teen/young kids directly like the latest spider man, less than 40% of the first weekend audience were 16 or under, you can trust him that a lot of people that will see Valerian can buy a ticket for Atomic Blonde, you can even assume it will be the majority.

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is rare to have a movie for which is audience is not vastly over 16 now.

In 2016 less than 24% of the ticket were bought by people that need to be accompanied to go see an R-rated movie.

Some PG-13 like ghost in a shell get first weekend with over 75% of it's opening weekend being over 25, considering that the 17-25 is by far the biggest age range by capita for ticket sold, not many were between 2-16 and the movie could have been R-rated without loosing.

Even a movie like Guardian of the Galaxy 2 get smaller and samller below 17 crowd nowaday (it was 60% over 25), teenager that were the biggest audience not so long ago are now hard to get into a theater.

Not so long ago in 2010 a movie like SALT, was only 59% over 25, last year 60% of Bourne audience was over.... 35, the last Bond movie openned with 78% of is audience over 25 (would not be surprised if they go R-rated for the next one).

Even for something that target teen/young kids directly like the latest spider man, less than 40% of the first weekend audience were 16 or under, you can trust him that a lot of people that will see Valerian can buy a ticket for Atomic Blonde, you can even assume it will be the majority.

The part that I bolded is very unlikely to happen given that James Bond films have ALWAYS been PG or PG-13 ('Licence to Kill' had to be edited to receive PG-13). Suddenly making it an R-rated would result in tons of backlash.

Also, another thing about 'Atomic Blonde' is that the film seems to be going for more of a low-key route - even more so than 'Valerian'.

Edited by Block-Busted

7 minutes ago, Block-Busted said:

The part that I bolded is very unlikely to happen given that James Bond films have ALWAYS been PG or PG-13 ('Licence to Kill' had to be edited to receive PG-13).

Also, another thing about 'Atomic Blonde' is that the film seems to be going for more of a low-key route - even more so than 'Valerian'.

I agree completely with you that it is perfectly arguable how much Atomic blonde share audience with a movie like Valerian, my point was more that it was true that a lot of the Valerian audience will not be 16 or less.

Also agree that it is unlikely (less than 30% chance of happening, making a change when things go so well and you are a global brand making 250m movies is not easy) but would not be surprised (I think more than 2% chance of happening) by how old the last Bond movie played and the clear trend that movie going audience get older and older, pg-13 vs R could soon be less and less relevant for a vast array of movies and it is already almost completely irrelevant for home video sales in the post blockbuster video rental world, specially on platform like Netflix.

An X-men movie would have never been R around 2005, now it does not change much.

Edited by Barnack

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I agree completely with you that it is perfectly arguable how much Atomic blonde share audience with a movie like Valerian, my point was more that it was true that a lot of the Valerian audience will not be 16 or less.

Also agree that it is unlikely (less than 30% chance of happening, making a change when things go so well and you are a global brand making 250m movies is not easy) but would not be surprised (I think more than 2% chance of happening) by how old the last Bond movie played and the clear trend that movie going audience get older and older, pg-13 vs R could soon be less and less relevant for a vast array of movies and it is already almost completely irrelevant for home video sales in the post blockbuster video rental world, specially on platform like Netflix.

Actually, there are some Netflix films that DO get MPAA ratings, so that relevancy thing is probably not an issue.

Edited by Block-Busted

1 minute ago, Block-Busted said:

Actually, more "high-key" Netflix films DO get MPAA ratings, so that relevancy thing is probably not an issue.

I'm not sure that enough parents setup some parental limitation for TV-MA stuff to affect kids that are the one asking for a Netflix account or paying it and will cancel or not get an account because they cannot access Okja. Anyway for many movie when estimating a movie performance they do not use the rating much for post theatrical now a day, say for a movie like Allied. 

An X-men movie would have never been R around 2005, now it does not change much.

If you're talking about 'Deadpool' and 'Logan', the former was based on an r-rated character to begin with and the latter was inspired by 'Old Man Logan'.

R-rating doesn't work with every single source materials. Some people said that 'Warcraft' should've been an R-rated 'Game of Thrones'-esque film with $40 million budget, but if that happened, the film would've been even worse than what we've got.

And... I haven't read 'Valerian' comics before, but is it really an R-rated material to begin with?

Edited by Block-Busted