Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

They probably were actually expecting that number at that point last week. Everything wa actually pointing to possibly even lower than that.

No, they weren't. Studios attempt to lowball their movies all the time. Still remember WB insisting that TDK would make $100m even though it had already broken the midnight record and everyone in Hollywood was saying it had a chance at the weekend record. Studios are full of bullshit propaganda in both directions. The rivals usually try to overestimate so they can say it underperformed, while the studio that made the film will try to lowball it to say it overperformed.

Guess what 91 minutes didn't happen either. ;)

I know, and I don't care. I thought it sounded like bullshit, but I was just reporting what we had on our website where we got our runtimes. Anyone would have done the same damn thing if they were in my shoes.
  • Like 1

I know, and I don't care. I thought it sounded like bullshit, but I was just reporting what we had on our website where we got our runtimes. Anyone would have done the same damn thing if they were in my shoes.

We got a good 50 pages out of that report. :lol:

Sony is still saying $120m.

http://www.latimes.c...0,2293805.story

Industry polling suggests that "The Amazing Spider-Man" will now likely end up with a respectable sum of around $140 million by Sunday, though Sony is still predicting the movie will collect no more than $120 million during its first six days of release.

Posted Image
  • Like 2

No, they weren't. Studios attempt to lowball their movies all the time. Still remember WB insisting that TDK would make $100m even though it had already broken the midnight record and everyone in Hollywood was saying it had a chance at the weekend record. Studios are full of bullshit propaganda in both directions. The rivals usually try to overestimate so they can say it underperformed, while the studio that made the film will try to lowball it to say it overperformed.

They may have lowballed it a little bit but at that point everything was looking like shit for the film.

TF's Wednesday-Sunday total was $118.8m, which is roughly 4.083 times as much at the Wednesday total of $29.1m. If it follows the same patterns as TF out from Wednesday, these are 6-day totals Spider-Man would get corresponding to the Wednesday total:27 = 145.2428 = 149.3229 = 153.4130 = 157.4931 = 161.5735 = 177.91Of course, a better increase/worse decrease than TF would put it on a slightly different trajectory, and this doesn't take into account the differences in WOM. Mainly food for thought. Again, having only one film to compare to kind of sucks!

• Like 1

But it wasn't a weak villain.

Maybe not (I certainly found him kind of weak), but he is of a lower quality than the film as a whole. Which, to me, seemed to be the point that fmpro was making, that a superhero film can only be as good as its villain. And I thought Iron Man was overall better than Iron Monger, and Captain America was overall better than The Red Skull. As a matter of fact, I think having too great a villain can be somewhat detrimental to a superhero film, as it can stop being about the hero and turn into a film about the villain instead (cough Tim Burton's Batman films cough). Iron Man didn't need a great villain, because the film was actually about Tony Stark.