Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

the whole thing with his parents WAS going to be in the movie. It was all cut out for some reason and they decided to leave it a loose end. I am not defending that aspect, I think they should have finished up that storyline in this film

• Like 1

Did you miss the past two days?

Of course not, but RTX was implying w/his comment that TASM could actually come in under $50m for the weekend, which is HIGHLY unlikely. Remotely possible IMHO, but not plausible in the truest sense of the word. No worries, by Monday we'll know for sure. After all, it's not over 'til the fat lady sings, as they say. ;)
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I actually liked the ending better than SM1(I swear parts of the film made me feel like the producers were not happy with SM1 and wanted to "George Lucas" it by making a more definitive version of the same thing). It's really just that there were just questions which were left unanswered(for the sequel I guess) and some scenes seemed over edited, others seemed under edited. It's really a shame, it felt like a great film that was edited like it was just mediocre. The result left me feeling like I do after eating a salad. Satisfied, but still hungry.

That's a perfect description, I agree. That's really why the first Spider-Man is still a definitive representation of the universe to me. With the right script, the right director, and a much more cinematic vision (including stronger visual effects and CGI), I'd be open to changing my opinion on that. But I don't see it happening anytime soon. They're a bit too late on the reboot/prequel gravy train while at the same time trying to copy more than they're trying to imitate. In that regard, that's where it fails as a film whereas Batman Begins succeeded in spades. It made the universe its own. TASM hasn't quite does that yet -- for me, at least.
  • Like 1

Screw Carnage, he's way down a list of foes I care to see.I want Mysterio, Chameleon, Jackal, Kraven and Electro at minimum before we see Carnage.If we start repeating similar themes then I want Hobgoblin first over Carnage.

Similar themes?

The movie would have exploded from being too bloated by that point.

The only way I can watch the film is to think of the meteorite as being a spaceship piloted by the symbiote which targeted Peter Parker because he was the only superhuman on Earth. Otherwise, for me, the entire film falls down from there.

And it would make sense for two reasons: #1- The alien symbiote did target Spider-Man on the Beyonder's world in the Secret Wars comic. And #2- There was a tiny alien who came and visited Spidey in the funky but lovable 60s cartoon. His ship fit into the palm of Spidey's hand. So you could look at it as an homage.

OK...OK...it's thin, but it's all I've got. :lol:

Posted Image

You guys can tear SM3 apart, it has many flaws that I agree with, but still a better film than TASM. Green Goblin story line was executed perfectly and Franco played really well that character, Sandman > Lizard, the action scenes are better, the score is better, it's funnier, the only thing that works for TASM's favor is Garfield/Stone > Maguire/Dunst.

There are times I wish we had an "dislike" feature...this is one of those times.
  • Like 3

That's a perfect description, I agree. That's really why the first Spider-Man is still a definitive representation of the universe to me. With the right script, the right director, and a much more cinematic vision (including stronger visual effects and CGI), I'd be open to changing my opinion on that. But I don't see it happening anytime soon. They're a bit too late on the reboot/prequel gravy train while at the same time trying to copy more than they're trying to imitate. In that regard, that's where it fails as a film whereas Batman Begins succeeded in spades. It made the universe its own. TASM hasn't quite does that yet -- for me, at least.

To me it works like this:Raimi Spidey=Original Stan Lee VersionWebb Spidey=Ultimate Brian Bendis VersionEven though there are some elements that crossover with both(switching MJ and Gwen immediately springs to mind, Gwen was first in Lee's version and MJ was first in Bendis' version), Raimi's origin was still way more reverent to Lee/Ditko. Webb's origin is much more like the Ultimate version.Seriously though, what is with the Spider-Man films and switching MJ and Gwen's hair colors, personalities and places within the canons? It just keeps going and going...

There are times I wish we had an "dislike" feature...this is one of those times.

I wish we could like a post more then once. How in the hell can somebody like SM3???? It was POS and no one can deny that. Edited by druv10

I wish we could like a post more then once. How in the hell can somebody like SM3???? It was POS and no one can deny that.

Actually, I guess I can deny it. I think its pluses outweigh its minuses, but it's nowhere near the quality level of TASM.

Actually, I guess I can deny it. I think its pluses outweigh its minuses, but it's nowhere near the quality level of TASM.

What pluses? I can give you minuses. Uncle Ben's death, Harry's amnesia, muddled plot, over the top cheese fest including Maguire's dancing, neutering of Venom, Raimi's reliance on MJ being stuck in danger in every movie, Maguire catching MJ in all 3 movies, mailed in performance by Maguire and that's top of my head. I haven't seen the movie since OW 2007.

To me it works like this:Raimi Spidey=Original Stan Lee VersionWebb Spidey=Ultimate Brian Bendis VersionEven though there are some elements that crossover with both(switching MJ and Gwen immediately springs to mind, Gwen was first in Lee's version and MJ was first in Bendis' version), Raimi's origin was still way more reverent to Lee/Ditko. Webb's origin is much more like the Ultimate version.Seriously though, what is with the Spider-Man films and switching MJ and Gwen's hair colors, personalities and places within the canons? It just keeps going and going...

Maybe in 30 years the movie rights will revert back to Disney. Then, Marvel Studios can get it right.

I don't like SM3 at all and liked TASM. But people have different opinions, deal with it.

lol, it's the same way when people blame Raimi for SM3. I guess you need to heed your own advice. ;) Edited by druv10

lol, it's the same way when people blame Raimi for SM3. I guess you need to heed your own advice. ;)

I don't think I ever said anything as dismissive as "Nobody can deny this". I made my points and argued them.