Shawn Robbins

NIKKI-ISMS | Nikki signs first look deal with HBO | Nikki and Penske make up, she will return to reporting on the entertainment industry

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-finke-penske-binding-arbitration-20131118,0,6408066.story#axzz2l6Cay9sy

The battle between entertainment journalist Nikki Finke and Jay Penske, the owner of Deadline Hollywood, the website she founded and has since left, has been turned up a notch.

Late Monday, Penske Media Corp., whose holdings include Deadline Hollywood and Daily Variety, said it was initiating arbitration with Finke, which means a third party will resolve their differences.

Finke departed Deadline Hollywood earlier this month after clashing with Penske over multiple issues, and said she was going to start her own site that would cover Hollywood news.

Though Finke said there was nothing legally stopping her from launching a new site (dubbed NikkiFinke.com), Penske Media insiders said that was not the case and that technically she had a non-compete agreement until her contract with the company expires at the end of 2016

Not about her specifically, but she does play a part:

http://www.lamag.com/features/2013/11/21/pulp-friction/page/1

No wonder nobody ever sees her since she apparently spends most of her time in Hawaii.

Of all the combatants in the trade wars, Finke is the most notorious—and, oddly, the least understood. She loathes her image as a cranky recluse, though it is well earned: She spends much of her time in Hawaii and, when in L.A., is never seen in public, not even at freebie industry screenings or Deadline’s own “The Contenders” events. (Gawker once offered $1,000 for a Finke photo, a reward no one collected.) Not long after we’d had a lengthy conversation about her image as a bag-ladyish hermit, I picked up the phone to hear Finke bellowing at me, “I HAVE NO CATS!” If Finke has a credo, it is that the best defense is a good offense. When I asked her to respond to a critical remark about her erratic behavior, for example, she fired off an e-mail to the person I’d named as my source, with the subject line: “YOU’VE SLANDERED ME TO PATRICK GOLDSTEIN. PREPARE TO BE SUED.”
  • Like 3