The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Matthew Modine's character very much had a point. Just as Gordon is the shining example of what a police commissioner should be, Foley was the example of what Gotham's police force had become -- complacent and more concerned with political one-upsmanship than actually serving the people of Gotham.

I understand what you're saying Telemachos, but for me, he detracted from screentime and development from more important characters. He was in the movie and then died, more or less, off screen. Pretty ineffective and a waste for me. Probably some of what my criticisms are nitpicky, yeah. I think what happened for me was Bruce's initial development, or lack thereof, from the beginning of the movie really threw me off. From there, it was basically a snowball effect, where the stuff that bugged me kept growing and growing. Most of this, though, I just had to get off my chest. I still say that the Bane-Talia connection very much weakened Bane. Just... no.

Nolan did go the extra mile with the B-list casting for the supporting roles and cameos.William Devane as the President people! Slick cameo usage right there!

I knew that actor was familar! I actually saw him in Universal in 1999.

Exactly Lord Man, I was reading that and going "how on Earth were they in love? I mean she was like 8 at the time"He was also the closest she had to a real dad it seemed.

At the end, didn't she say something like "My love" referring to Bane? I thought it was more of an intimate relationship, but I'm not sure.

I'm wondering if it did start out brother/sisterly... but sort of developed into something more. I took it that it was pretty intimate by the end, the way she was stroking/repairing his mask and calling him "my love".Either way, sibling-like or something deeper, I wish it had gone in a different direction. The movie will be in my collection regardless because I want the entire trilogy anyway, and those action sequences were astounding. Unfortunately, because yesterday's trip to a movie with some friends was my break away from being a stay at home momma to a beautiful 4 month old boy, I don't forsee myself getting out to a theater again to see this.

The "prologue" in the film was better and worse than when I first saw it. Better because Bane's dialogue was more crisp and clear. Worse because Aidan Gillen's (the CIA guy) non-attempt at doing a good American accent was even more obvious. Disappointing, the guy easily slid into a great Baltimore accent on The Wire and he phones the accent in for this film.

Also, I don't know what really constitutes as "nitpicky" rather than legit criticism of a film. I think most of my criticisms of TDKR are pretty legit. Suspension of logic I can handle, especially in action movies and CBMs, but the supporting framework/storytelling needs to be present for me to ignore it, and unfortunately, there was much of TDKR's storytelling that I really didn't like.

Talia is one messed up chick then!

I guess at the end of it, it's kind of ambiguous. I thought, "Okay, protector/brother type" at first, but then it seemed a little more charged than that.She wanted to nuke Gotham and torture Bruce. She was massively screwed up anyway.ETA: Thanks, Impact! I'm new here, didn't want to annoy people right off the bat. But, there was a lot about TDKR that I wanted to get off my chest. Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

The GreatJoseph Gordon LevittAnne HathawayChristian Bale & Michael CaineThe first 2/3rds of the filmThe BadBaneTaliaEverything from the twist onwardsBasically there are some standout performances and some brilliant thematic work in play which goes to waste in the third act when it becomes standard generic fare. The reveal and car chase are some of the most uninspired in a blockbuster yet only being partially redeemed by quick cuts to JGL and the supposed death of Batman and reaction (brilliant) from Caine, Oldman, Freeman and Levitt.Cotillard's last breaths and motive was horrendous.

I guess at the end of it, it's kind of ambiguous. I thought, "Okay, protector/brother type" at first, but then it seemed a little more charged than that.She wanted to nuke Gotham and torture Bruce. She was massively screwed up anyway.ETA: Thanks, Impact! I'm new here, didn't want to annoy people right off the bat. But, there was a lot about TDKR that I wanted to get off my chest.

I don't agree with all your points (I thought the action was boring for one) but very good review WTF. You should post more.