The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Thanks. Coming to the movie, I really liked it. It's not my favourite of the trilogy but it works well in tying up the trilogy. Bane has surely become underrated though in the comparison with Joker. The story served well as the end of Bruce Wayne's journey and the origin of Blake.

Bane has surely become underrated though in the comparison with Joker.

Welcome to the forum. I completely agree with your point above. It reminds me of DeVito's Penguin performance in the shadow of Nicholson's Joker. I thought Hardy's Bane was awesome just like I thought DeVito's Penguin was awesome.

Welcome to the forum. I completely agree with your point above. It reminds me of DeVito's Penguin performance in the shadow of Nicholson's Joker. I thought Hardy's Bane was awesome just like I thought DeVito's Penguin was awesome.

I agree. The Joker is a unique character in comics and any comparisons with other villains are quite unfair. Hardy's Bane was a very good performance especially as he could not express facial emotions.

I don't think some people that REALLY need to have. :)

Since we're talking about it, I find Hulk's 'lack of a thematic through-line' criticism kind of odd.TDKR is not a subtle film, and what it's about is nothing more than Bruce's psychological recovery. The first time he dons the suit it doesn't work, because he's arrogant and has no faith in the police or others to help him. He thinks he can do it on his own, and doesn't even care about dying, thus is beaten.After the pit, in which he's learned the value of fear as a proxy for appreciating life, he does ask for others' help and does want to live. Thus, he succeeds. It's basically a fairytale. It is not making a stab at thematic complexity. The theme is in the title. Anything else, like the supposed Occupy allegory, is simply an environmental backdrop that people read too much into (IMO). To me TDKR is nothing more than a hero's journey, and for the most part an effective one. Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3

I agree. The Joker is a unique character in comics and any comparisons with other villains are quite unfair. Hardy's Bane was a very good performance especially as he could not express facial emotions.

Why give him the mask at all then? Serious question. In the comics he has more apparatus and can use it to 'juice' in real time while fighting with Batman. While I admit that would be a bit much for the universe Nolan has built why retain the portion of that 'origin' that only serves to limit Hardy's ability to emote and also introduces 'that voice' that a lot of people hate? I think he could have been plenty menacing in alternate headgear.It reminds me a bit of the Green Goblin mask in Spidey 1...another bad choice.

Since we're talking about it, I find Hulk's 'lack of a thematic through-line' criticism kind of odd.TDKR is not a subtle film, and what it's about is nothing more than Bruce's psychological recovery. The first time he dons the suit it doesn't work, because he's arrogant and has no faith in the police or others to help him. He thinks he can do it on his own, and doesn't even care about dying, thus is beaten.After the pit, in which he's learned the value of fear, he does ask for others' help and does want to live. Thus, he succeeds. It's basically a fairytale. It is not making a stab at a thematic complexity. The theme is in the title. Anything else, like the supposed Occupy allegory, is simply an environmental backdrop that people read too much into (IMO). To me TDKR is nothing more than a hero's journey, and for the most part an effective one at that.

Being a big fan of the Hulk and all this writing despite the whole all caps thing I would never seriously debate the guy on matters of theme or tone. He's really good with that IMO.

It reminds me a bit of the Green Goblin mask in Spidey 1...another bad choice.

Goblin looked like something out of Power Rangers. Nolan's Bane design is better than pretty much all of the Bane designs I've seen over the years, including the recent stuff in the Arkham games and current comic books.

Being a big fan of the Hulk and all this writing despite the whole all caps thing I would never seriously debate the guy on matters of theme or tone.

Oh. Well... I don't know what to tell you.If hulk was expecting some artistic insight into the economic divide currently plaguing the West through a Batman movie then I can understand his disappointment. But in terms of the theme being "Bruce down. Bruce gets back up." I'd say TDKR was pretty consistent in telling that story.
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting for plot holes. pinocchio: The links you sent me reveal zero plot holes. They are juts a bunch of comments why the author didn't like TDKR. I can accept that someone didn't enjoy the film, but that remains an opinion, not a fact. I'm not trying to convince someone ato change his/her opinion, but I'd like to discuss mistakes if there are obvious one.TDKR had some continuity errors, but it's no worse than any SH film, including TDK and TA. So Bruce's journey back to Gotham is such a main talking point, yet Hulk's jorney back to NY isn't? Or that the guy with a bomb in his stomach conveniantly ends up in the same cell as The Joker? TDKR was really ambitios, it's inevitable to find minor hiccups, but on the big scale it works really well.People need to be more objective. I liked TA, but though it was overrated, yet I accept the fact that it had amazing WoM. I'm not going to deny it, just beacuse I wasn't overwhelmed. But here some people, who didn't like TDKR assume that it's GA response. Well check the facts. WoM is excellent. I have seen it 6 times and the audience clapped and cheered in the end. My opinion doesn't count? Ok, more global facts:Critics:RT: 86%, 8.0 ratingMetascore: 78% Audience:RT: 93%, 4.5 ratingCinemascore: AIMDB: 9.1, more than 150,000 Nolanites?

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting for plot holes. pinocchio: The links you sent me reveal zero plot holes. They are juts a bunch of comments why the author didn't like TDKR. I can accept that someone didn't enjoy the film, but that remains an opinion, not a fact. I'm not trying to convince someone ato change his/her opinion, but I'd like to discuss mistakes if there are obvious one.

But that's just what I wrote, Alfred. I don't care for plot holes. So in the end you enjoyed the movie and I didn't.And if you liked it's not a fact either.

Being a big fan of the Hulk and all this writing despite the whole all caps thing I would never seriously debate the guy on matters of theme or tone. He's really good with that IMO.

He is, better than most movie bloggers. He nails why Avengers rocks (despite its flaws) and ASM is terrible. Which is why I was surprised he sort of missed what I saw in TDKR. He talks about empathy is the most important tool for any screenwriter and that pays off in spades for Bruce Wayne here, especially when you see his whole journey throughout the trilogy.

From what I have heard, seen, and read, I think the consensus is that comic book nerds and movie buffs are pretty divided with this movie, but skewing positive. Still pretty split though. But the average movie goer who has never picked up a comic book or follows movies to the extent online folks do, the consensus is clearly not divided. The overwhelming majority thought positively of it.Fair enough?

I thought that TDKR was a really excellent movie. And I think that people tend to dislike Bane just because he's the replacement to The Joker but he still was a great villain in the film. I went to see it with my friends after watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight back-to-back and some of them said that TDKR was even better than TDK. They may not be massive batman fans or anything and people here may probably now want to hunt them down for that opinion but I think it shows that in general to moviegoers this was an above average film