The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I liked TDKR A LOT but it has many problems and it is likely Nolan's worst film (I say likely because I never saw Following). It is one of those movies that actually tried to hate but I simply can't. Same that happens every time I see Pirates of the Caribbean 3. I try to not like it so hard... I see his MAJOR problems... but I can't...

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

76 pages, will another movie ever beat this in the review forum?

I have a feeling Interstellar will be Nolan's worst reviewed movie and divide opinions. That may beat this (even if everyone likes it, just has to have a twist that makes people talk about it, I think Inception had more pages in BOM).

Edited by CJohn

I liked TDKR A LOT but it has many problems and it is likely Nolan's worst film (I say likely because I never saw Following). It is one of those movies that actually tried to hate but I simply can't. Same that happens every time I see Pirates of the Caribbean 3. I try to not like it so hard... I see his MAJOR problems... but I can't...

nope insomnia, memento and prestige arent as good as this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Interstellar end up Nolan's worst reviewed movie. He probably lost a fair amount of goodwill from critics with DKR. At the same time, I don't necessarily expect it to be his actual worst movie. Nolan is a man with terrific ideas, but his writing as shown by DKR can be suspect at times. Not to say I think TDKR is horrendously written, so much as it has some huge gaps of logic (mostly in the end I feel), and then there is some genuinely compelling stuff. Another draft might have done wonders.

Edited by Carlos Danger

nope insomnia, memento and prestige arent as good as this.

Memento is brilliant, IMO. I saw it first time in a Saturday night, and when I woke up in the next day I saw it again. What Nolan did there shows how talented he truly is.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Interstellar end up Nolan's worst reviewed movie. He probably lost a fair amount of goodwill from critics with DKR. At the same time, I don't necessarily expect it to be his actual worst movie. Nolan is a man with terrific ideas, but his writing as shown by DKR can be suspect at times. Not to say I think TDKR is horrendously written, so much as it has some huge gaps of logic (mostly in the end I feel), and then there is some genuinely compelling stuff. Another draft might have done wonders.

I've only seen the movie once on BR and don't really remember it, but it didn't do bad with critics at all. 77% top/88% all, thats about the same as inception.

I've only seen the movie once on BR and don't really remember it, but it didn't do bad with critics at all. 77% top/88% all, thats about the same as inception.

It didn't do bad with the critics, but also considering the reception it has had post release, I would bet many critics won't feel the same way they did last year. See the 100 best films on Box Office Forums 2013 edition to get a nice example.

And this comes from someone who very much enjoys the movie and feels about as strongly as I do about it back on July 20th last year.

It didn't do bad with the critics, but also considering the reception it has had post release, I would bet many critics won't feel the same way they did last year. See the 100 best films on Box Office Forums 2013 edition to get a nice example.

And this comes from someone who very much enjoys the movie and feels about as strongly as I do about it back on July 20th last year.

I need to watch it again, but critics aren't comic book nerds or backlashing fanboys.

I need to watch it again, but critics aren't comic book nerds or backlashing fanboys.

True. However, honestly it surprised me that critics put up with some of its script issues in the first place.

But Nolan still has maintained his 'streak' so to speak, so I'm hoping that continues with Interstellar. Some day, I hope he returns back to smaller scale film making again. The Prestige is one of his best works.

I certainly liked TDKR overall but I definitely had problems with it and overall I would say it wasn't as good as I hoped. 

My problems

- Gotham looked too much like New  York City. I remember my dad asking me at the end "Why did they keep calling New York, Gotham?" LOL

_  I really don't like the whole "Batman quitting for eight years thing" Just my personal opinion but I don't like the idea of Bruce Wayne just sitting around for eight years and letting himself go to total waste. 

- Catwoman was a total bitch. Not because of Hathaway she was fine in the role but am I supposed to sympathize with this character ? She is a thief. She stole and gave away Wayne's fingerprints, stole his car, and led Batman to get his back broken. Hell she was even giving him attitude at the end  after all she has done. "If you'r expecting an apology". And yet Bruce is all "I know there is good in you"? So why is he thinking that? I guess he gave her a pussy pass

- The character of John Blake also kind of annoyed me. Mainly because it felt like he was getting more screentime and focus than Batman/Wayne. Also rolled my eyes at the part when he was talking about how he found out Batman's identity. He honestly started to feel like a Gary Stu

-I couldn't help but roll my eyes at many of the plot contrivances and conveniences in this movie. I mean the bomb has a freaking six month timer? Wow perfect, just enough time for Bruce Wayne to be able escape from the "hell on Earth" prison. And  the part where they somehow manage to trap EVERY SINGLE cop in the sewers and then they keep them alive! And of course who could forget Bruce Wayne being able to travel to Gotham and sneak into the city even though it is totally under siege, and his Batwing being right where he left it.  And when exactly did he eject from the Batwing at the end?

- I just didn;'t like the ending. This is total personal opinion, but I really dislike how Bruce just quit being Batman in the end and ran off with a criminal (yes she is still a criminal). and handed over his stuff to some guy he barely knows and for all he knows could get killed on his first night out. And what is Bruce Wayne going to do now? Just dick around for the rest of his life? 

I've warmed up to this a film since I first saw it but overall I still find it underwhelming compared to the hype

Edited by Robert Muldoon
  • Like 3

-I couldn't help but role my eyes at many of the plot contrivances and conveniences in this movie. I mean the bomb has a freaking six month timer? Wow perfect, just enough time for Bruce Wayne to be able escape from the "hell on Earth" prison. And  the part where they somehow manage to trap EVERY SINGLE cop in the sewers and then they keep them alive! And of course who could forget Bruce Wayne being able to travel to Gotham and sneak into the city even though it is totally under siege, and his Batwing being right where he left it.  And when exactly did he eject from the Batwing at the end?

I can overlook all your other points, but I agree with this one.

Also, the pit was supposed to be "Hell on Earth", but when Bruce gets there it turns into a resort with doctors who provide physical and mental therapy, fellow inmates who aren't violent at all, but actually root for him, and the pit was not "impossible" to get out of.  It was unguarded!!!!

• Like 1

I can overlook all your other points, but I agree with this one.

Also, the pit was supposed to be "Hell on Earth", but when Bruce gets there it turns into a resort with doctors who provide physical and mental therapy, fellow inmates who aren't violent at all, but actually root for him, and the pit was not "impossible" to get out of.  It was unguarded!!!!

I know right? It's like Bane WANTED him to escape. If he had stationed some of his men there to cut the rope in case anyone came too close to the top then he never would have returned. 

Edited by Robert Muldoon

-I couldn't help but roll my eyes at many of the plot contrivances and conveniences in this movie. I mean the bomb has a freaking six month timer? Wow perfect, just enough time for Bruce Wayne to be able escape from the "hell on Earth" prison. And  the part where they somehow manage to trap EVERY SINGLE cop in the sewers and then they keep them alive! And of course who could forget Bruce Wayne being able to travel to Gotham and sneak into the city even though it is totally under siege, and his Batwing being right where he left it.  And when exactly did he eject from the Batwing at the end?

There are non-voluntary hilarious moments as well. I mean, the look on Batman, Catwoman and Gordon faces when they're watching Cotillard's painfully bad entire monologue and death mouth agape when there is a nuclear bomb countdown going on.

Or laughable monologue with a super-long sentence of Batman telling Gordon that he is Bruce Wayne under disguise with his laughable Batman's voice while the bomb is ticking its last minute. Nolan even adds some bloat with unnecessary flashback just in case you're such an idiot you didn't understand what he meant so he got to explain to you everything in explicit and redundant way... :rolleyes:

Seriously, this movie. :unsure:  And people want to make us think this is some clever piece of filmmaking...

Edited by dashrendar44

I thought the flashback to him as a kid was fantastic. 

Either you do the flashback and cut the monologue to a meaningful stare or just a meaningful catchphrase. Or you let Batman monologuing (even if there's a nuclear bomb about to explode at any moment) without flashback. Doing both is overkill.