Olive

Weekend Actuals:TASM 62.0M/137.0M,TED 32.2M(-41%), Savages 16.0M

My weekend analysis:

Sony’s superhero reboot, The Amazing Spider-Man grossed $62M in its 3-day portion with a solid $137M since its Tuesday debut in a very wide 4,318 theaters. Averaging $14,360, the $230M starring Andrew Garfield (The Social Network) and Emma Stone (The Help) did not generate good reviews like the first two but more well-received than the third one from five years ago. 58% of males and 54% over the age of 25 resembled the audience this weekend with just 44% of the total coming from 3D screens. By comparison, it did much better than comic reboots such as “Batman Begins” ($48.7m/$205.3m), “Superman Returns” ($52.5m/$200.1m), “The Incredible Hulk” ($55.4m/$134.8m) and “X-Men: First Class” ($55.1m/$146.8m). Audiences gave it a strong A- in CinemaScore with over 290,000 Flixster Users giving it an 84% rating. It has less than two weeks do gross as much as possible before another comic book superhero adventure, “The Dark Knight Rises”, which could challenge as the highest opening weekend of all-time even without 3D surcharges. A $250-275m gross seems achievable if it follows the Superman Returns trajectory. The first three made more money even without 3D inflation, but consider this total as a success for a reboot especially with more revenue added worldwide.

Last weekend’s #1 sleeper hit, Universal’s Ted slipped just 40.9% to $32.2m. Averaging a stellar $9,890 in its sophomore frame, the $50M R-rated raunchy comedy from the creator of the FOX show hit, Family Guy has stocked up $119.8m in merely ten days. Although it must deal with “The Dark Knight Rises” in two weeks and another R-Rated comedy, “The Watch” the week after, it doesn’t have direct competition next weekend so I expect a $20M+ third weekend. The summer weekdays will prevent it from missing $200 million if it continues to hold well. I see a final total of $200-210M, a career high for Wahlberg and Kunis. If it holds better than expected in late July, it could challenge as the highest grosser for the studio of the year!

Disney/Pixar’s Brave stays steadily at #3 with a third weekend of $19.6m, declining 42.5%. So far, the $185M family adventure has amassed $174m in 21 days of its release. Though with “Ice Age: Continental Drift” releasing next weekend as direct competition, it will still well over $200 million. It has no possibility of reaching “Up” ($293m) but it will definitely eclipse “Ratatouille” ($206.4m). With excellent WOM, even if it didn’t get excellent reviews like most Pixar releases, it will certainly pass “Wall-E” ($223.8m) with a domestic run in the $225-235M range.

In 4th place, Universal’s R-rated adult-oriented thriller, Savages saw a better than expected result, with a start of $16m in 2,628 venues for a healthy $6,095 average. Budgeted at $45M, the decently-reviewed directed by Oliver Stone (World Trade Center, Natural Born Killers) starred Taylor Kitsch, coming from a bad streak of big-budgeted flops. While it received good reviews, the audience didn’t like it as much with a C+ CinemaScore. 51% of females and 61% over the age of 30 represented the audience. Despite receiving mediocre reception from audiences, the summer weekdays will help it to pass $50 million+ domestically.

Warner Bros’ critically-acclaimed R-rated dramedy, Magic Mike dropped an understandable 60.0% to $15.6m. In only its second weekend, it has packed in crowds with $72.8m more than 10 times its miniscule $7M budget. With no other choices for females in the marketplace for the rest of the month, it will conclude with $100-110 million making it Channing Tatum’s 3rd $100M hit in a row after The Vow ($125m) and 21 Jump Street ($138.4m).

Lionsgate’s Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Witness Protection saw a reasonable 59.9% fall to $10.2m. By its second weekend, the $20M comedy has made $45.8m. By comparison, Madea’s last film, “Big Happy Family” had a larger decline of 61% and made $40.9m in the same pace eventually seeing $53.3m. Unlike “Protection”, it did not benefit from summer weekdays as his movies normally launch in the spring. Following the same trajectory, it should see a total of around $60 million, which will gross the most for his franchise in two years.

Paramount/Dreamworks’ Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted descends only 36.5% to $7.5M. In 31 days of its run, it has taken in $195.8m, already earning the highest in the franchise. Considering it faces “Ice Age: Continental Drift”, it will pass $200M next week. The $145M over-performing family sequel will achieve $210-215m domestically.

Paramount’s 3D concert event, Katy Perry: Part of Me failed to connect with audiences in 8th place with only $7.1m with $10.2m since its Thursday premiere in 2,730 venues for an unexciting $2,604 average. Budgeted at $12M, it earned good reviews and 81% of females and 72% under 25 saw and gave it an A in CinemaScore. Female-skewed usually sees strong midweek summer business, which will actually make money back because the studio kept the budget low. However, these factors won’t save it enough to have excellent legs because theaters will not keep films with that low of a theater average. It may gross $25-30M domestically.

Focus’ sleeper indie, Moonrise Kingdom added merely 30 theaters to 884 sites but enjoyed the lowest decline in the top ten with just 8% to $4.5m. The $16M critically-acclaimed preteen comedy romantic drama has juiced up $26.8M. With no other choices targeting adults, it should complete its run with at least $45 million but it does have a chance of passing $50 million if it continues to have excellent holds.

Sony Classics’ R-rating romantic movie directed by Woody Allen, To Rome with Love rounded out the top ten. Costing $25M, it went wide but delivered meager results with $3.1M from 806 locations for a disappointing $3,852 average. After a big comeback and success of Woody Allen’s “Midnight in Paris” from last year, it failed to impress critics. Currently, it has a $5.3M total. With audiences seem to agree with critics of what they saw and the paltry average, it will not have room to grow and will only see a gross in the $15-18M area.

Edited by BEEJAYGRAD11
  • Like 2

I swear to god, somebody show me the calendar where we are scheduled to lose our shit on these forums. I'm so afraid I'm going to miss the day that I'm scheduled for. It seems like it is an airborne disease and it lands on someone new every other day.

• Like 1

I swear to god, somebody show me the calendar where we are scheduled to lose our shit on these forums. I'm so afraid I'm going to miss the day that I'm scheduled for. It seems like it is an airborne disease and it lands on someone new every other day.

The day Serenity 2 is green lit was the day you were assigned. It's right there in your profile I think. ;)
  • Like 2

There was never not going to be an Amazing Spider-Man sequel.

Looks like TASM will go on my shelf next some other movies that underperformed or flopped. (Although it's really hard to put a movie that will make north of 200m domestic in that pile) This smelled too much like Batman Begins all along. Usually box office at least matters if you want a sequel but that's not a factor here. Sony did a pretty good job with this one (unlike SM3). And if Sony ever does give up...that's a good thing too because I would love to see Marvel take a crack at Spider-Man. Can't really lose.

I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear. - Martin Luther King

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get. - Confucius

Interesting how both quotes sound so "wise"....yet they actually contradict each other. Is hate hard or easy? :)

To be fair though, TA gave us a perfect Hulk and a perfect Bruce Banner. A movie with that Hulk and Banner would have done wonderful numbers.

I think people will be surprised if they ever try it. Suddenly the audience will be bored again and won't know why Banner and the Hulk aren't as interesting as they were in TA.

When you surround Banner (a boring character) with a bunch of interesting characters he can fit in perfectly and it works. You can also put a mute Hulk with no personality (a boring character) with a bunch of interesting characters and it works.

But ask two boring characters to carry a movie and see what happens. ...Actually...one boring character and a non-character.

Someday....someone will put an interesting Hulk onscreen who has a personality and can actually speak. He will make up for Banner's inherent blandness.

This board should be retitled as the Overreaction Forum.

AGREED!!! I've drawn the same conclusion!

Since joining, this has become increasingly evident to me too, as time has gone on. Hyperbolic statements are regularly being posted left & right, from zealots of all persuasions, with fanatics feigning wit by trying to pass off their petty snark as such. One day is all it seems to take 'round here to confirm things for some people, and suddenly their preconceived notions are absolute, along with the further opinonated and/or biased forecasting that usually follows. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, it's progressively becoming a HUGE deterrent for me personally, as I find this type of behavior wholly unappealing & vastly off-putting(in such large doses, i.e., a little goes a LONG way). :unsure: Oh well,... c'est la vie!

• Like 2

Since joining, this has become increasingly evident to me too, as time has gone on. Hyperbolic statements are regularly being posted left & right, from zealots of all persuasions, with fanatics feigning wit by trying to pass off their petty snark as such. One day is all it seems to take 'round here to confirm things for some people, and suddenly their preconceived notions are absolute, along with the further opinonated and/or biased forecasting that usually follows. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, it's progressively becoming a HUGE deterrent for me personally, as I find this type of behavior wholly unappealing & vastly off-putting(in such large doses, i.e., a little goes a LONG way). :unsure: Oh well,... c'est la vie!

Well this is a forum, we're supposed to post our reactions. How boring would this place be if everyone just agreed with each other and remarked every number as "decent" and "expected". The forum's activity would die off very quickly.
  • Like 1

And the moral of the story is just because a film is called "Spider Man" does not mean it is exempt from suffering the same drop off of in box office and tickets sold then other previous reboots.

• Like 1

And the moral of the story is just because a film is called "Spider Man" does not mean it is exempt from suffering the same drop off of in box office and tickets sold then other previous reboots.

most people were expecting it to have an admissions drop, not only the enlightened ones

I'll probably end up stopping posting the boards after I pay or collect my bets too. This place isn't healthy for me and it has become a problem instead of place to have fun.

I'm glad that it's clear now that TASM is a domestic failure. The fact that it's compared to Hulk, SR and BB confirms it. Those films all improved from the last entry of their franchise while TASM lost third of its audience from SM3.

It's clear to me for a long time that you're just as delusional as I am. This movie as a reboot can still end up becoming the most successful reboot box office wise, and you're still trying to spin this as a failure. It isn't a failure because I've predicted a bigger box office dommestically, it isn't a failure because you keep repeating ad nauseam. But go on doing that, mate. :)