Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

I can understand some disappointment with MOS's gross after the record breaking OW and very strong start OS. If it manage good legs, 800M+ WW would have been possible but this total is still very solid and gives an impetus for DCU. WB can't seat on their laurels, they need to hire another writer to polish Goyer's screenplay preferably Jonah. I can see a great MOS2 challenge 500M+ domestic so they need to make sure it's a great movie or 400M might be a struggle. 

Honestly I never thought that it would made over $550 WW.

Due to the Fiasco of SR, I would of thought that it woul ddo around $550. But it way exceed my expectation. WOM I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I just think that it have way too many competition. WB should of put it later in July or Early August. I mean come on we had like what 15/16 new Release Sicne MOS came out. Loosing IMAX kill it I think.

• Like 1

Yeah sorry, that was a typo, I definitely think Avatar 2 will beat Avenger 2, having said that I'm not convinced that Avatar will be releasing 2015 anyway.

Even with the great WOM the dark knight series got it still couldn't come near the Avengers, adding him to MOS, which made a little over half of IM3 this year won't suddenly cause it to jump over the Avengers

You saw what great casting and 30 yrs of wait did for Spiderman I right...Same thing amplified pending a great story arc and marketing, Superman And Batman have Avenger upsetting potential.. Just wait.. Dark Knight couldnt come near to avengers because its not a team up movie Tower and not suitable to all audiences like Avengers..You forget that.

They will make a Superman and Batman film darkish, but still kid friendly.. And Avengers again cant tap too much of the golden age and silver age audiences. Superman and Batman will do that.. The results could easily top Avengers 2 which proably reached its near max potential and will only go down domestically.

Honestly I never thought that it would made over $550 WW.

Due to the Fiasco of SR, I would of thought that it woul ddo around $550. But it way exceed my expectation. WOM I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I just think that it have way too many competition. WB should of put it later in July or Early August. I mean come on we had like what 15/16 new Release Sicne MOS came out. Loosing IMAX kill it I think.

Indeed even Box office mojo says had there not been super competion MOS would have had a far bigger tally..That is obvious. IM3 faced films like DM2, ST etc it wouldnt have made 1.2billion , but still would have had 900m-1B .

Still cant wait till all my fellow over the top Marvel FBs get the wake up call of a life time if all goes well with Superman and Batman vs Avengers, then Juggernaut 2015 just sweep TA2 under the rock likes its nothing. :)

Would be funny if the first Superman of Batman beats Avengers by 200Mil or more overall. Avengers 2 does seem

to be the one to beat though for summer. Juggernaut is coming tho..And man oh man will this room be insanse with

MOS2, TA2, Juggernaut 2015 all going head to head(or rather for the top film of 2015 title) !! :-o!! Good Lord

You saw what great casting and 30 yrs of wait did for Spiderman I right...Same thing amplified pending a great story arc and marketing, Superman And Batman have Avenger upsetting potential.. Just wait.. Dark Knight couldnt come near to avengers because its not a team up movie Tower and not suitable to all audiences like Avengers..You forget that.

They will make a Superman and Batman film darkish, but still kid friendly.. And Avengers again cant tap too much of the golden age and silver age audiences. Superman and Batman will do that.. The results could easily top Avengers 2 which proably reached its near max potential and will only go down domestically.

IM3 is just one hero and it passed any Batman film, which just shows how big of an audience the Avengers franchise has built for itself.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 1

IM3 isn't is just one hero and it passed any Batman film, which just shows how big of an audience the Avengers franchise has built for itself.

It passed a Batman film because of a team up movie.. batman and Superman span 7 generations Tower. A great film will beat Avengers.. Of Course that is the challenge, can they come up with a great story , casting for Bats and the Villain  or villains

and bring a team  movie of quality up there with TDK/SM2/Avenger quality.

If they can we could have the first comic film to hit 1.7-2bil

IM3 isn't is just one hero and it passed any Batman film, which just shows how big of an audience the Avengers franchise has built for itself.

PS all other IMs were 600+M WW, 700+M... VS Batman of this era with 390+M a jump to 1.03B(Adjusts to way more)

then even a 3rd Batman film still makes close to 900 mil when its not as well received.

Shows you the power of what this film will be with Time Warner marketing the hell out of it.. Imagine if Bale Returns to the role..

Give us Superman, Batman and perhaps even WW vs Darkseid. Good bye Avengers 2 :)

PS all other IMs were 600+M WW, 700+M... VS Batman of this era with 390+M a jump to 1.03B(Adjusts to way more)

then even a 3rd Batman film still makes close to 900 mil when its not as well received.

Shows you the power of what this film will be with Time Warner marketing the hell out of it.. Imagine if Bale Returns to the role..

Give us Superman, Batman and perhaps even WW vs Darkseid. Good bye Avengers 2 :)

It will only happen with Bale!

The parallels between Iron man 1 and 2 and MOS aren't too good because:1. IM1 and IM2 did not have 3-D and MOS didn't beat any of those domestically despite that.2.The international box office hadnt exploded like the way it is now.3.When IM1 came out, Iron man was a b-list Marvel character without much pop culture exposure. Superman is the most recognizable superhero in the world and has had 5 major movies prior to MOS . A lot of folks hated Superman returns but the movie was well received by critics and actually increased over the previous Superman movies despite the total train wreck (critically and commercially) that was Superman 4.Comparing MOS to Iron man doesn't make it look any better. It actually makes it look worse.

• Like 2

IM3 out grossed the Batman movies OS ONLY by the way.Not to mention TDK and TDKR had no 3D which is doing WELL in OS markets.

Edited by #ED
  • Like 1

The parallels between Iron man 1 and 2 and MOS aren't too good because:1. IM1 and IM2 did not have 3-D and MOS didn't beat any of those domestically despite that.2.The international box office hadnt exploded like the way it is now.3.When IM1 came out, Iron man was a b-list Marvel character without much pop culture exposure. Superman is the most recognizable superhero in the world and has had 5 major movies prior to MOS . A lot of folks hated Superman returns but the movie was well received by critics and actually increased over the previous Superman movies despite the total train wreck (critically and commercially) that was Superman 4.Comparing MOS to Iron man doesn't make it look any better. It actually makes it look worse.

Comparing IM to any Batman movie doesn't seem comparable as well.

clap clap clap

lolu guys lets just stop comparing

Batman movies were was obv uber successful esp being only in 2D

Mos did everything it needed to start a franchise so everyone won :D

Edited by Leyla
  • Like 1

The parallels between Iron man 1 and 2 and MOS aren't too good because:

1. IM1 and IM2 did not have 3-D and MOS didn't beat any of those domestically despite that.

2.The international box office hadnt exploded like the way it is now.

3.When IM1 came out, Iron man was a b-list Marvel character without much pop culture exposure. Superman is the most recognizable superhero in the world and has had 5 major movies prior to MOS . A lot of folks hated Superman returns but the movie was well received by critics and actually increased over the previous Superman movies despite the total train wreck (critically and commercially) that was Superman 4.

Comparing MOS to Iron man doesn't make it look any better. It actually makes it look worse.

I'm not sure why people keep making this argument to justify why films like IM1 didn't do that well overseas. SM1 done $400m OS all the way back in 2002, yes it's spider-man etc, but BB didn't manage it, neither did SR. Infact I'd argue that Spider-man has done more to popularise superhero's across the globe then any other single comic book character over the past 10 years. 

As to your other points, well none of that changes the fact that MOS has grossed more WW then either of the first 2 Iron Man films. 

I'm not sure why people keep making this argument to justify why films like IM1 didn't do that well overseas. SM1 done $400m OS all the way back in 2002, yes it's spider-man etc, but BB didn't manage it, neither did SR. Infact I'd argue that Spider-man has done more to popularise superhero's across the globe then any other single comic book character over the past 10 years. 

As to your other points, well none of that changes the fact that MOS has grossed more WW then either of the first 2 Iron Man films. 

Because you can't ignore changes in the size of the market, OS grosses are simply not the same as they used to be. To put it in perspective, IM was the 11th biggest film in the year it came out, MOS's gross would have placed it at number 12 last year.

Spidermans numbers were indeed insanely good, more impressive then TDKR.

Because you can't ignore changes in the size of the market, OS grosses are simply not the same as they used to be. To put it in perspective, IM was the 11th biggest film in the year it came out, MOS's gross would have placed it at number 12 last year.

I'm not arguing that the size of the OS market hasn't increased, what I'm saying is that this isn't the reason IM1 didn't do great numbers or BB or SR. It's more to do with the fact that audiences weren't that interested in seeing them so chose not to. The increase of markets isn't going to change that fact. 

His point was Spider-Man had the same market as IM1 and IM2. Those movies did "OK" in those markets.

• Like 1

I'm not arguing that the size of the OS market hasn't increased, what I'm saying is that this isn't the reason IM1 didn't do great numbers or BB or SR. It's more to do with the fact that audiences weren't that interested in seeing them so chose not to. The increase of markets isn't going to change that fact. 

Do you think domestic audiences had more interest in Tasm than Jaws? The Hangover 2 more than Raiders of The Lost Ark? Alice In Wonderland over Forrest Gump? Superman Returns more than Gone With The Wind? 

Interest in films can't be measured by simple grosses when there are several years in between, if you IM numbers compared to its peers, and MOS numbers compared to its peers, then the performance is similar.