CJohn

Despicable Me 2 OS thread

It's great that Box Office isn't about what movies deserve certain milestone(s). If a movie is strong enough to hit $1B then why not?!

Even though nowadays more and more movies hit $1B it's still a huge achievement. It would be great to see DM2 "succeed" because it's always good to see BO history :)

But you don't have to worry about that, unfortunately DM2 will nearly miss it. In my opinion it is sad.

Yea both DM2 and The Hobbit 2 will get close to 1 billion but miss it, it's quite annoying to be so close to a milestone.

Hmm? That's interesting.

The-Numbers.com has the WW-gross of DM2 at $974,873,764.

$974.9M WW. Higher than what BOM has it. I wish that would be the right gross.

Interesting piece of news: DM2 just surprassed Frozen as the top selling animation DVD in the US in 2015

source: the-numbers

• Like 1

Interesting piece of news: DM2 just surprassed Frozen as the top selling animation DVD in the US in 2015

source: the-numbers

As usual you take the data and use them as you please. In fact if you look at the dollar figure you can see that the situation is quite different : 17M$ for Frozen vs $ 11M$ for DM2. This is because the DVD of DM2 was sold at hard discounted price during the release of the movie Minions. The same happened in the Blu-Ray chart.

Average price in 2015 in USA

Frozen

DVD 19,90$

BD 24,90$

DM2

DVD 11,50$

BD 13,90$

Total units sold/gross in lifetime in USA

Frozen BD 7,26M (top seller ever in USA) + DVD 11,95 = 19,21M (356,7M$)

DM2 BD 5,81M + DVD 8,02 = 13,83M (237,4M$)

As usual you take the data and use them as you please. In fact if you look at the dollar figure you can see that the situation is quite different : 17M$ for Frozen vs $ 11M$ for DM2. This is because the DVD of DM2 was sold at hard discounted price during the release of the movie Minions. The same happened in the Blu-Ray chart.

Average price in 2015 in USA

Frozen

DVD 19,90$

BD 24,90$

DM2

DVD 11,50$

BD 13,90$

Total units sold/gross in lifetime in USA

Frozen BD 7,26M (top seller ever in USA) + DVD 11,95 = 19,21M (356,7M$)

DM2 BD 5,81M + DVD 8,02 = 13,83M (237,4M$)

My post was clearly refering to the 2015 sales only as per the-numbers.com which didn't indicate any discounts for the film and it mentioned that the numbers of units for DM2 were higher than Frozen in 2015.

Even with the discounted prices, it did sell more than Frozen.

So am not skeweing any results.

Oh and btw you can certainly present the info which is quite helpful but there's really no need for saying I skew results 'as usual'. Thanks.

Edited by MinaTakla

My post was clearly refering to the 2015 sales only as per the-numbers.com which didn't indicate any discounts for the film and it mentioned that the numbers of units for DM2 were higher than Frozen in 2015.

Even with the discounted prices, it did sell more than Frozen.

So am not skeweing any results.

Oh and btw you can certainly present the info which is quite helpful but there's really no need for saying I skew results 'as usual'. Thanks.

Keep calm and read well all my post.

Click to this link: http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2015

Focus on this two row:

9 Despicable Me 2 992,326 $11,410,534

12 Frozen                   888,592  $17,705,124

Average price for each DVD: Frozen 19,90$ vs DM2 11,50$

DM2 had a discount near 50% (probably is "underselled").

Now a question: If Frozen DVD was discounted at 50% (for the first time), how many discs it would have sold? I think at least five millions, or maybe much more.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like 1