CJohn

Frozen OS thread

yjs, what is the absolute maximum do you see for Frozen, where everything goes right?

"Absolute" maximum I would say 7-8M admissions/$50-55M. It'll be clearer when the lunar new year holiday kicks in soon and we see how well it holds up. It is the #1 movie now and this weekend looks VERY promising but during the holiday more conventional Korean "family-friendly" comedies will gain momentum while Frozen might get hurt a bit despite it also being very family-friendly since it is not cut out for the conservative "cartoon-is-for-kids" older audience which is the key demo of the holiday time frame. Think admission numbers will still increase during the holiday tho. So if it reaches near 5M by the end of the holiday then 7-8M might happen. However it faces the Nut Job and the Lego movie right after the holiday so 5-6M is a much safer bet. But then again Frozen's not considered a kiddie film anymore so the competition wouldn't be too tough anyway and by taking that point of view, 6-7M would be more likely.

Edited by yjs
  • Like 3

"Absolute" maximum I would say 7-8M admissions/$50-55M. It'll be clearer when the lunar new year holiday kicks in soon and we see how well it holds up. It is the #1 movie now and this weekend looks VERY promising but during the holiday more conventional Korean "family-friendly" comedies will gain momentum while Frozen might get hurt a bit despite it also being very family-friendly since it is not cut out for the conservative "cartoon-is-for-kids" older audience which is the key demo of the holiday time frame. Think admission numbers will still increase during the holiday tho. So if it reaches near 5M by the end of the holiday then 7-8M might happen. However it faces the Nut Job and the Lego movie right after the holiday so 5-6M is a much safer bet. But then again Frozen's not considered a kiddie film anymore so the competition wouldn't be too tough anyway and by taking that point of view, 6-7M would be more likely.

I think 7 Million is done. Lego movie could be reasonably big as lego is popular here, but I have had students in class talking to each other about this film and that hasn't happened for a Hollywood film since Iron Man or even before.If I was a betting man I would guess it will fall just shy of 7.5M
  • Like 1

I think 7 Million is done. Lego movie could be reasonably big as lego is popular here, but I have had students in class talking to each other about this film and that hasn't happened for a Hollywood film since Iron Man or even before.If I was a betting man I would guess it will fall just shy of 7.5M

That would be around 55M.  :blink:

50m is doable, Frozen is not just an animated movie.Its Fri-Sat increase is only half of KFP movie,and Sun-mon drop is far better than KFP.It's a 4-q movie in Korea.And 50m is a stunning performance.If nut job bombs, 55m is possible.Also depends on how Lego goes.Nut Job Jan 29Lego Feb 6

Pretty much. I think the question is can it catch DM2 and get to 1B

The more I think about it the more I thing 1 billion WW is better than 50/50 now

Frozen should be over 800m WW after this weekend, how much over I'm not sure, but going with a nice round 800...

Assuming Frozen does 400m domestic to the penny - another 52m

Korea/Turkey - another 30m

Holdover markets- 15m

Sweden - 9m.

That has us at 906m, and that's not counting however much over 800m it actually is after the weekend.

So, worst case China and Japan need 94m between them. Even the lowest estimates all seem to be around  30m and 50m (80m total). The remaining 14m could come from anywhere, maybe it's a few million higher than 800 after the weekend, slightly higher holdover grosses (it's still playing in a lot of markets, just with diminishing returns now), hitting big in China or Japan (who knows how high Frozen could go if by some miracle it really broke out in both those markets), maybe domestic crawls to 405 for a few million more.

That surprising run in SK really improved the odds a lot, 20-30 would have been great, 50+, well that's amazing and a huge boost.

• Like 1

SK Sunday 520k total 3,123,000, increased from Saturday Mon-Sun 1.9M Next Mon-Sun will be well over 2M with holiday boost.

Olive, what I find amazing about SK BO is, we get admissions/grosses within 10 mins after the day ends. I wish rest of the world was like this.  :worthy:

• Like 1

Olive, what I find amazing about SK BO is, we get admissions/grosses within 10 mins after the day ends. I wish rest of the world was like this.  :worthy:

yeah after they adopted a public database and ticket sales tracking system or something. It's super cool.