CJohn

Frozen OS thread

Only $130M more..? Japan will do close to $100M. Look at that amazing Korean number. US will do $20M more (and take the Animation 2013 crown from DM2) and the rest will push it forward. This baby is doing more than a billion WW.

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1

It opens today in China, right? Excited to see first numbers.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Frozen will be making much of a splash in China. It is only slated to be kept in Theaters for 10 days and with less than 13% of the total screen share. This is mostly due to the local animated movies that have recently been released over there like the Monkey King.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Frozen will be making much of a splash in China. It is only slated to be kept in Theaters for 10 days and with less than 13% of the total screen share. This is mostly due to the local animated movies that have recently been released over there like the Monkey King.

Screw China. <_< SK and Japan will push Frozen over 1B WW.  :D

• Like 5

Actually the competitions that Frozen is facing are NOT animated movies. The Monkey King is a CGI-fest live action movie. But that's not important. Anyway, is Frozen really in theaters only for 10 days? Or there are just so many competitions, especially from local rom-com movies on VD, that Frozen is presumed to only have 10 days to make money, while not necessarily out of the theaters?

In China, movies are disposable. If a film has been out for 3 weeks, it's already old, and if some new big craps are opening, the old ones are screwed no matter the amount of business they were generating. That's exactly what happened to DM2, or to Pacific Rim last year, and to dozens of other blockbusters. It's part of their (lack of any) cinematographic culture.

Now, Frozen isn't even seen as a big movie there, and its total gross would have likely been limited even with small competition and more than a month of showings. They sandwiched it between a few huge local goofs and at the end of the holidays, so it has always been doomed. I just can't understand how people could acritically think 30M was conservative and 50M was possible.

Edited by Omni

Not in South America. Nor in Austria and in a couple of other European markets.And that's exactly what I meant by 'being acritical'. The "reasoning" behind that was <<Well, it's doing amazing in pretty much every country. And look at those freaking numbers in South Korea. Bodes very well for the upcoming release in China. DM2 made 50M there, why can't Frozen do the same?>>. A thought like that doesn't take into account fundamental things like the release date, the competition, the saturation, the nature of Frozen and the nature of the Chinese market. Those factors, when combined, show you that 30M has always been the absolute ceiling, not the reasonable floor.

Well yeah, but back then most people here didn't know there would be big competitions for Frozen. Until a week ago, I didn't know The Monkey King would be released just days before Frozen. I thought after DM2 the market would be empty. Although, I should've figured that there would be local blockbuster movies released on Lunar New Year. And btw most people thought 30m was average, NOT conservative. Only few of them thought 50m was possible, and they're not familiar with Chinese box office. Also, not until recently someone pointed out that Frozen would be less appealing to Chinese audience. So yeah, I think I understand why people came out with that numbers.

And I get about the movies-are-disposable thing. It's the same here too, but for slightly different reasons. Theaters have limited screens so after 3 weeks they have to give the screens to new movies. But what I meant was, did they already have some kind of agreement before its release about how long Frozen would be played, or the limited time is just a natural thing? Like if there were no movies released next weekend, would it still be in the theaters?

Edited by catlover

Well yeah, but back then most people here didn't know there would be big competitions for Frozen. Until a week ago, I didn't know The Monkey King would be released just days before Frozen. I thought after DM2 the market would be empty. Although, I should've figured that there would be local blockbuster movies released on Lunar New Year. And btw most people thought 30m was average, NOT conservative. Only few of them thought 50m was possible, and they're not familiar with Chinese box office. Also, not until recently someone pointed out that Frozen would be less appealing to Chinese audience. So yeah, I think I understand why people came out with that numbers.

Of course Frozen was going to face some big competition, China is in the middle of their holidays now. And the history of box office show that the potentially bigger movies always open right before or at the beginning of those holidays - it happens in the Usa, in Australia, in Italy, in France, in South Korea, everywhere. And it happens in China, too - you don't need to look at the exact schedule to figure out that this kind of release date was a really bad one. I remember a poster at KJ saying that often China seems to have fun screwing foreign movies by putting them on awful spots - and he was referring to Frozen's release date.

Some referred to 30M as a conservative number. Anyways, it doesn't mean much, both 'conservative' and 'average' are just wrong ways to consider it.

"They're not familiar with Chinese box office. Also, not until recently someone pointed out that Frozen would be less appealing to Chinese audience. So yeah, I think I understand why people came out with that numbers."

My point exactly. People threw unrealistic numbers because they didn't understand the market - and didn't pay attention to the release date.

Not in South America. Nor in Austria and in a couple of other European markets.And that's exactly what I meant by 'being acritical'. The "reasoning" behind that was <<Well, it's doing amazing in pretty much every country. And look at those freaking numbers in South Korea. Bodes very well for the upcoming release in China. DM2 made 50M there, why can't Frozen do the same?>>. A thought like that doesn't take into account fundamental things like the release date, the competition, the saturation, the nature of Frozen and the nature of the Chinese market. Those factors, when combined, show you that 30M has always been the absolute ceiling, not the reasonable floor.

Don't exaggerate about Latin America, their numbers are still pretty good, particularly in this moment with their currency crisis.

In Argentina the value of the Argentinean peso decreased by 20% for example, and in Venezuela it's worse.

The economic situation must be taken into account.

• Like 1