CJohn

Frozen OS thread

FactsJapanese box office for recent WDAS releasesRapunzel: $31MWiR: $29Mprincess and the frog: $4Mwinnie the pooh: $4MFor a country with a film-going population as big as Japan those numbers aren't really a good performance. Pixar is way more popular than disney there. MU grossed $90M finding nemo did $102M and even cars 2 managed $38MSo going on past facts, 100M for frozen is a bit optimistic. I'm not saying that it won't happen (before frozen disney was really unpopular in SK too and just look what happened) but it isn't what you'd call a lock. There's no way of knowing to what extent frozen will break out in the Japanese market. How did you come up with 100m anyway?

We have determined 100m is possible for animation. Althought that was pixar.Many movies have reacted similarly in far eastFrozen has resonated, found legs, and out performed in many different countries/culturesMusicals have performed well in JapanChina doubled expectations and they are not big on animation as other genres.Japan usually does larger grosses than SK. The hype is amping up there with the music release, leading one to believe it has resonated and will react like SK but w a larger population.Japan usually outgrosses china for animation.Gut instinct. Been predicting the stock market and box office for 35 years. Edited by mfantin65
  • Like 2

That's actually a pretty good list of reasons. You should probably add academy award wins to that when it happens  :) 

Anyway here's to hoping it breaks out big time in Japan! I never imagined frozen would be challenging TS3 WW when it first came out!  B) Amazing run.

Wasn't Tangled badly impacted by the Earthquake? I think it would have made more if that hadn't happened.

Yes it's true I forgot to mention that. even without the earthquake/tsunami though I doubt it would have made pixar numbers.

I never said 100m in Japan is impossible.  I said 100m in Japan as a minimum is crazy.  If we're talking minimum, it could go as low as 30m which is what the last few WDAS films did there.  I don't expect it to go that low and I think it will do around 80m, but to say that 100m is the minimum is just to logical.

I am still betting for Spirited Away numbers  B)

That would be amazing, but unfortunately, no. I said this before, no other movie will touch or even be close to Spirited Away, ever. Okay, maybe some movie in the distant future will get there, but definitely not Frozen.

Also yes, $100m minimum (or lock) is crazy and illogical. Minimum means it cannot be lower than that, and we know it could. So $100m possible yes, minimum no. And I'm actually rooting for it to get to that number. But for me now, it's around $75m

That would be amazing, but unfortunately, no. I said this before, no other movie will touch or even be close to Spirited Away, ever. Okay, maybe some movie in the distant future will get there, but definitely not Frozen.

Also yes, $100m minimum (or lock) is crazy and illogical. Minimum means it cannot be lower than that, and we know it could. So $100m possible yes, minimum no. And I'm actually rooting for it to get to that number. But for me now, it's around $75m

I'm sure that won't happen. Why? Demographics!

Japan loses inhabitants every year, more and more, and the number of births collapse while the growth of retired people explodes.

It's not only dangerous zconomically, that also means the potential audience is decreasing year after year.

And cinemas could be hit by the next VAT increases.

How about beating Iron Man 3? Is it possible? :D

Highly unlikely. It stands a bit of a chance to get to #6 WW, by beating Transformers 3's 1.123b, but getting the next 92 million to get to IM3 would probably require a Spirited Away-like run in Japan, which is an incredibly tall order. Especially with a relatively weak dollar. (Only about 100 yen to the dollar at the moment.)

Answer to mfantin65's post in the China thread:

Here are my minimum predictions, "lock" so to speak.China 50SK 80Japan 100DOM 410Global   1.150bOptimistically. Anything can happen w a phenom. Think big.China 60SK 90DOM 427Japan130Global  1.217bWhat are yours?

Locks

China 45M

SK 75M

Japan 40M

DOM 395M

Global 1.06B

Reasonable

China 50M

SK 80M

Japan 60M

DOM 401M

Global 1.1B

Optimistic scenario

China 60M

SK 90M

Japan 100M

DOM 410M

Global 1.17B

Frozen needs to reach the insane level of MU, MI, Nemo and TS3 in Japan to even struggle to your 'lock'...enough said :P 

• Like 1

Please,TS3 is MUCH better.

It's a matter of opinion. Personally I thought TS3 had the better story plot and really touched me deeply, while frozen's musical numbers and message of love overcoming fear made it resonate more deeply in me. Both great movies though and I'd easily understand anyone who puts TS3 above frozen. 

• Like 1

Sk frozen sat box office

Daily admission: 157,149

total admission: 9.46m

total gross: $70.8m

I was hoping for at least 200k admissions but new releases this week did better than expected. with new releases next week into an already crowded month frozen could go down fast....