Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Market capacity. In the USA TDK was already very high (biggest weekend ever at the time) while in those two countries it was big, yet nowhere near the top 5 (in AUS something like top 10, while in the UK top 20). That leaves a lot of room to grow in OW compared to USA.

Regarding the UK, we don't have any official number yet, and in dollars, there'll be a lot of films above it due to different exchange rates, but in terms of pounds, it'd rank easily in the top 10 and probably top 5.

30 million lost only because of the shooting? :huh: Somehow I find that hard to believe.

You are comparing increases in markets that had nowhere near the record breaking that the USA OW of TDK had and using it here? It's not something you can compare so easy.

I'm not the only one who say that numbers. I say 185 but others have said 190. We will have to wait to official numbers, but when I saw the 30 midnight figure I really thought it was headed to 185: 30+60 (Friday), 52 (Saturday), 43 (Sunday). I think they are not crazy numbers

Regarding the UK, we don't have any official number yet, and in dollars, there'll be a lot of films above it due to different exchange rates, but in terms of pounds, it'd rank easily in the top 10 and probably top 5.

Talking about TDK, not the TDKR. And there is a official number for that, which doesn't land it into the top 5 or 10. ;)ETA: I'm looking at the numbers in local currencies, not dollars. Edited by Shantal

Exchange rates are quite different. In UK, the pound-dollar exchange was 1.98 in July 2008. July 2012 it's only 1.56. So if TDKR makes the same in $ than TDK we are talking about a wide increase in pounds. On the other hand, AUS dollar has had a mere increase from 0.96 to 1.02, so it could be quite accurate tom compare both numbers in US dollar. Euro has plummeted since 1.57 in 2008 to 1.22 today, so eurozone won't probably give the same numbers than TDK

I'm not the only one who say that numbers. I say 185 but others have said 190. We will have to wait to official numbers, but when I saw the 30 midnight figure I really thought it was headed to 185: 30+60 (Friday), 52 (Saturday), 43 (Sunday). I think they are not crazy numbers

And there are many people here who before it opened thought 200 million very possible, which the midnight number (the only one that can't be argued being affected) showed its not. Sorry if I don't take the argument "many people here thought" very seriously. I also think that some Friday business that wasn't realized due to the shooting could have moved towards Saturday and Sunday, so while it's lost on Friday, it's still in the OW. And while the shooting does have an effect, there are no concrete economic facts to support something more than around 10%. Everything else is just wishing on both sides - those that want it higher or lower.

I think that's an unfair response. We're here to predict, pontificate and analyze box office earnings. Anything regarding box office is fair game. If you don't find interest in a topic of discussion, don't contribute.

..I meant it ironically! - we come here in the first place, to also discuss such "what if.." stuff .. Edited by chaos
  • Like 1

Did the TDKR beat the Deathly Hollow and the Avengers in the foreign markets that it opened?

I did a comparison yesterday between las SH movies from some estimates that Fake gave us. I include now DH2. Numbers are OW / Total for each country (all numbers are from BOM):UK: SM3 (23.5/67) - TDK (22.3/89) - TA (25.7/81) - DH2 (38.3/117) - TDKR (25/?)SK: SM3 (16.4/34) - TDK (5/25) - TA (10.8/50.7) - DH2 (9.8/32) - TDKR (16/?)AUS: SM3 (7.8/19.7) - TDK (11.4/39.9) - TA (13.9/54.4) - DH2 (19.6/51) - TDKR (14/?)Spain: SM3 (11.1/24.7) - TDK (4.4/16.3) - TA (7.1/20) - DH2 (8.6/21.9) - TDKR (5/?)India: SM3 (6.5/16.4) - TDK (?/3.7) - TA (?/12.6) - DH2 (?/7.7) - TDKR (4/?)HK: SM3 (2.4/7.2) - TDK (2.1/7.5) - TA (4.4/12.5) - DH2 (3.6/9.9) - TDKR (3.3/?)Taiwan: SM3 (1.0/4.9) - TDK (1.2/6.7) - TA (?/20.1) - DH2 (2.1/14.5) - TDKR (2.5/?)

I did a comparison yesterday between las SH movies from some estimates that Fake gave us. I include now DH2. Numbers are OW / Total for each country (all numbers are from BOM):UK: SM3 (23.5/67) - TDK (22.3/89) - TA (25.7/81) - DH2 (38.3/117) - TDKR (25/?)SK: SM3 (16.4/34) - TDK (5/25) - TA (10.8/50.7) - DH2 (9.8/32) - TDKR (16/?)AUS: SM3 (7.8/19.7) - TDK (11.4/39.9) - TA (13.9/54.4) - DH2 (19.6/51) - TDKR (14/?)Spain: SM3 (11.1/24.7) - TDK (4.4/16.3) - TA (7.1/20) - DH2 (8.6/21.9) - TDKR (5/?)India: SM3 (6.5/16.4) - TDK (?/3.7) - TA (?/12.6) - DH2 (?/7.7) - TDKR (4/?)HK: SM3 (2.4/7.2) - TDK (2.1/7.5) - TA (4.4/12.5) - DH2 (3.6/9.9) - TDKR (3.3/?)Taiwan: SM3 (1.0/4.9) - TDK (1.2/6.7) - TA (?/20.1) - DH2 (2.1/14.5) - TDKR (2.5/?)

More likely $23-24m in the UK. But a big increase in pounds.

More likely $23-24m in the UK. But a big increase in pounds.

Just a question - why are things compared in US dollars (I know this is the money the companies get), but for statistical reasons shouldn't the compartments be done in local currencies?

TDKR beat TA in Australia? Surprised about that.

It's slightly complicated by the fact TA opened with $6m on a public holiday Wednesday before earning $13.3m over the normal 4 day weekend for a 5 day total of $19.3m. TDKR has earned $15.1m over a normal 4 day weekend. If TA had opened over a normal 4 day weekend it probably would have made around $16m. But that's just speculation. Basically TDKR opened a little bit under TA.

Just a question - why are things compared in US dollars (I know this is the money the companies get), but for statistical reasons shouldn't the compartments be done in local currencies?

I guess because when looking at OS and WW totals, you have to go by the $...But yes, they should be.

Yes. You should only ever compare films within a country in the local currency.

And there are many people here who before it opened thought 200 million very possible, which the midnight number (the only one that can't be argued being affected) showed its not. Sorry if I don't take the argument "many people here thought" very seriously.I also think that some Friday business that wasn't realized due to the shooting could have moved towards Saturday and Sunday, so while it's lost on Friday, it's still in the OW. And while the shooting does have an effect, there are no concrete economic facts to support something more than around 10%. Everything else is just wishing on both sides - those that want it higher or lower.

I was one who predicted more than 200 and I realized my mistake when I saw midnights. Of course, we will never know what would have happened without the shooting, but in my opinion it subtracted about 10 million on Friday, and about 5/6 million both Saturday and Sunday. Fear and doubts doesn't dissapear while media go on with news about the shooting. It's psychological. We have to wait until official numbers come, and above all, until this week numbers to have a better perspective. The shotting have had influence during the whole weekend. Other question is to quantify that impact. We'll never know it and we can discuss it forever.Of course, I can be wrong. I just speculate (like everyone here :) )