baumer

Weekend Estimates TDKR 62.84 IA4 13.3 TW 13 SU4 11.8

Pretty great hold for TDKR considering that Friday. Olympic opening definitely hurt Friday. And honestly I think this is a significantly softer drop than it would've had if it wouldn't have been affected by the tragedy last weekend. Had it opened to $180-185m like I think it would have normally I think it would have dropped a solid 65% this weekend or so.Also great for the holdovers all around for the most part. Shows that people have already resumed their lives and are getting over whatever fears they may have had last weekend.And may I just say holy crap at THG once again! It's almost making more than TA now!!! :o :o

Edited by MovieMan89

Pretty great hold for TDKR considering that Friday. Olympic opening definitely hurt Friday. And honestly I think this is a significantly softer drop than it would've had if it wouldn't have been affected by the tragedy last weekend. Had it opened to $180-185m like I think it would have normally I think it would have dropped a solid 65% this weekend or so.

Also great for the holdovers all around for the most part. Shows that people have already resumed their lives and are getting over whatever fears they may have had last weekend.

And may I just say holy crap at THG once again! It's almost making more than TA now!!! :o :o

I needs that to happen. It would be Nay Nay<3

Marvel had best not fuck that up.Give him whatever he wants, I guarantee it isn't that much, he seems like a very modest guy.

I'm sure they'll make (already have made?) him nice offer. I think the issue is, does Joss want to spend another two years working for Marvel? He has said many times he strongly prefers to play in his own sandbox.

Fantastic article. Very well written and I agree with about 90% of it.

I'd hardly call losing 9-10% of business during the weekend a "little effect," especially not when you're dealing with a weekend of $160m on the low end.

Even mods can troll

If the definition of trolling is not sharing your opinion, then you are correct.

You can say that about everyone, the best and the worst, but trolls have opinions too, not that baumer is a consistent troll like bkb and ijack

While I disagree with a few things said(especially about long term legs), I do find it refreshing to see an article stating that TDKR may just be acting more like it would have than being majorly affected by the shooting. I expected a higher OW, but other than that, it's doing pretty much what I figured it would. As I've stated before, I think the effect could be in the 10-15% range, but that number is quickly dwindling, WB may lose 25-40m due to the shooting, IMO.

So basically the guy who wrote it, baumer and me are trolls because we disagree with you about one thing or another? :o

I don't think Baumer agrees with Mendelson's claim that it had "little effect" on the opening weekend. Baumer has repeatedly said on here that it probably would have hit 180+. That's not a "little effect" at all.

I don't have even read the article. I just find funny the definition of trolling that people throw around here. I also thought it was possible to reach $180m. But this is a guesstimate just as much as any other. After the $27m-$30m from the midnights came in people started adjusting their guesstimates because it didn't look like it could reach $180m+ anymore.At what point saying the shootings had an effect stops being an educated guess to become an excuse? What about those that DIDN'T LIKE the film and vented online about it? I think the crying for box office numbers that actually are going well is going for too long. But I don't care either way. Stating guesses won't make these guesses facts. But everyone is entitled to their opinions.But others are free to especulate as well. If it was actually a better film, it would make more money. If Ledger was alive and playing the Joker, it would make more money. If Bane's voice wasnt overdubbed he would sound menacing, not Sean Connery talking through a walk-talkie and it would make more money. If the film had less plot holes and eye-rolling moments by the minute, it would make it for a better film than TDK, get Best Picture buzz and make more money. If using 3D is a ploy from the studios, so it's IMAX, so it could have made even less. And so on. The shooting had an effect. But what about how it's behaving worldwide? Are we blaming the shootings for performing more like TASM in the foreign markets than The Avengers? Seriously, the shooting affected the box office, but saying it's the sole effect and blaming the shooting for everything screams trying to find excuses to other problems TDKR has. It's biggest enemy is the hype that the fans generated around the film before having seen it. Insane expectations lead oftenly to disappointment, and that's what I'm seeing here. Edited by Chris O Donnell

If it took away 15-20m from the OW, then imagine what that translate into potential loss of good WOM (or bad as well). But if 90% of those 20m dollars worth of people would have passed on good WOM, there goes more lost revenue. I'm not one of those guys saying the tragedy is the sole reason for TDKRs run. I think this board, for the most part, including me, overpredicted this movie's need to watch hype. It's just a thought that translates into TDKR's legs. Speculation really.

Uh, $30m at midnight put it right on track for $180m. What it killed was any chance at $200m.

Seriously? I remember people saying $170m-$175m tops after knowing the midnight numbers, BEFORE the shooting. I still think it was the max it could make without the shooting. It's a 2D film after all.

Seriously? I remember people saying $170m-$175m tops after knowing the midnight numbers, BEFORE the shooting. I still think it was the max it could make without the shooting. It's a 2D film after all.

Actually, before the shooting happened there was only a $27m number reported. The actual ended up at $30.6m, which put it right on target for $180-185m.

And Jack, are you seriously trying to argue that it's underperforming overseas? It's doing extremely well for a Batman movie.

For a Batman movie? Yes. But closely to TASM than TA. Similar numbers after having opened in most of the OS markets. It's good, but isn't earth shattering. So you were expecting that it wouldn't be earth shattering OS but it would break the admissions record in NA?

For a Batman movie? Yes. But closely to TASM than TA. Similar numbers after having opened in most of the OS markets. It's good, but isn't earth shattering. So you were expecting that it wouldn't be earth shattering OS but it would break the admissions record in NA?

No, I predicted $175m for the weekend (lower than TA, TDK, and SM3 admissions) and I am very confident that it would have reached that number without the shooting. Based on that midnight number, it looked like it was headed for 180ish, which would have tied it with TDK/SM3 and put it slightly below TA's admissions. As far as overseas, I was predicting $500-550m, so yes it is kicking ass IMHO.

Saw the film for the second time today and loved it. So much better this time around.

Yep. Was waiting to write my review until I saw it a second time and glad I did. Liked it so much better. Pretty much on par with Begins this time, maybe even slightly above. Give it an A- now.