Sims

Boxoffice.com's Top 100 Films of All Time! Presentation of the results to begin at 3 PM PST/6 PM EDT

Boxoffice.com's Top 100 Films of All Time!

Rules (please read!):

-You are to submit a list that will go towards determining the forums' all time 100 favorite films (duh).

-To keep things somewhat unbiased, you must PM your list to me if you want it to count! You are welcome to post your lists or other FYCs in this thread, but these will not go towards the actual tally unless they are PM'd.

-You must submit a minimum of 20 films, and are encouraged to list up to 100. The more films on your list, the better, but I understand many people will not have the time or experience to arrange a full Top 100.

-You're highly encouraged to submit a ranked list, but I will allow unranked lists. You may have a bigger impact on the final list if you end up ranking your films, however (see scoring guidelines).

-Miniseries and TV films are not allowed.

-Films in a series must be listed separately. No votes for just the "Lord of the Rings trilogy" or "Kill Bill," etc. If you can't come up with separate rankings, choose just one film to represent the series (e.g. Fellowship for LOTR).

-It's in your best interest to submit films by their full titles, but I will accept shortened versions IF it is clear to me which film is intended. Foreign titles can either be listed in English or their native language. For remakes or other titles which can reference multiple films, you should list the director and/or year--otherwise, I'll just guess which one you mean.

Scoring:

-I'll just be using a simple points system. Your #1 will receive 100 points, your #2 99 points, and so on down the list. If you choose to submit an unranked list, each film will be given 100 points minus however many films you submit. (So if you submit 20 films, each film receives 80 points, 50 films, 50 points, etc.) This stops after 90 films, so 100 unranked films will receive 10 points each. Since this is a ranked list, people who rank their films will have a slightly larger impact.

-Consider being strategic with your rankings. You may want to put well-known classics lower on your list to make room for more obscure films that may have a harder time making the final 100. Of course, if everyone does this, the rankings won't be completely accurate. So do whatever you want! :lol:

Voting is now open! The deadline is 11:59 PM on August 27, 2012, forum time. That should give you enough time to compile your lists, catch up on a few unseen classics, etc. You can message me your list any time between now and then. The deadline is pretty fixed since I have to go back to school a few days after, but I will postpone it a day or two if I get the sense enough people need a little extra time. Use this thread for questions, FYCs, and maybe predictions about what you expect to end up on the final list.

Good luck!

Some popular rankings to help get you started:

Sight and Sound's 2012 Poll (BFI): http://www.bfi.org.u...-films-all-time

IMDB's Top 250: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

AFI's Top 100: http://www.afi.com/1.../movies10.aspx/

Criterion's Directors' Top 10s: http://www.criterion.com/explore/top10

BALLOTS RECEIVED:

1. firedeep

2. Jack Nevada

3. Punishment

4. baumer

5. Spaghetti

6. JCS

7. JarJarBinks

8. iceroll

9. JohnnY

10. Blankments

11. 4815162342

12. MasterDodsen

13. Incepted

14. GamingFreak

15. Don Niam the Stingray

16. Myself

17. C00k13

18. SchumacherFTW

19. JackO

20. BK007

21. Dexter of Suburbia

22. glassfairy

23. Walt Disney

24. grey ghost

25. Letsuseournoggin

26. Krissykins

27. acab

28. iTz Only ED

29. CoolioD1

30. Ajde

31. Tower

32. Jake Gittes

33. aDIM

34. acsc1312

Edited by Sims
  • Like 2

My all time top 10:1. The Shawshank Redemption (The definition of ultimate life level beyond the world)2. The Godfather 2 (The definition of ultimate life level in the world)3. The Godfather 4. Avatar (what all science fiction movies meant and should to be)5. Inception (It changed my way of thinking about dreams)6. Ratatouille (The definition of dream and animation)7. Nuovo cinema Paradiso (The definition of movie and average life)8. Titanic (The definition of best love story)9. Star Wars (The definition of space opera)10.The Matrix (It changed my way of thinking about the world)

I'm in. It's a fantastic idea. I'm going to move it to the Speakeasy and pin it. I think it would be good if everyone submits a top 20 or 30 even 50. From there, you look on people's lists and your filter out all the films that have the most votes. From there, once we have 100 films, then we put them to a vote and then you have your top 100.

• Like 2

Great idea!Can I suggest people can put up unranked lists too, as many (myself including) find it hard to pick just one top film. So can you accept lists of say 20/50/100 unranked films and treat them all as equal ranking?

• Like 1

Great idea!Can I suggest people can put up unranked lists too, as many (myself including) find it hard to pick just one top film. So can you accept lists of say 20/50/100 unranked films and treat them all as equal ranking?

Well, I'm reluctant to do that just because it complicates scoring, but I want everyone to participate so I guess I can allow it. What I would do is take the 100 points that would be allotted to a #1 film and subtract from that the number of films in your list. So if you submit 20 films, every film will receive 80 points, 50 films, 50 points, etc. For comparison, if you submit a ranked list, your #20 gets 81 points, your #19 82 points, and so on. People who rank their films will have a little more impact on the final list but you'd still get a big say. Edited by Sims

Well, I'm reluctant to do that just because it complicates scoring, but I want everyone to participate so I guess I can allow it. What I would do is take the 100 points that would be allotted to a #1 film and subtract from that the number of films in your list. So if you submit 20 films, every film will receive 80 points, 50 films, 50 points, etc. For comparison, if you submit a ranked list, your #20 gets 81 points, your #19 82 points, and so on. People who rank their films will have a little more impact on the final list but you'd still get a big say.

Thanks for allowing unranked. Will PM my list within the next few days.
  • Like 1