baumer

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I realize that I have already written a review of this film but I just watched it again for the first time in a few years and I have to say more about it. TCM is a film that is a prime example of why horror films of the 90's can never match the horror of the 70's and 80's. This film was a dark disturbing look at a family gone mad. They have no reason, no remorse and no pity for doing the things that they do. The only thing I can even think of is that they have all worked at a slaughter house and the daily grind of taking an animal's life has desensitized them to the value of life, whether it be human or animal. I found it quite interesting that the film goes into great detail on how a cow is killed. Because what that does (besides gross us out) is it shows how sadistic a process it is to get our meat from the animal that it came from to the cellophane wrappers in the grocery store. And then when these butchers do the same thing to the humans in the story, it becomes more real, more disturbing and more eye opening. It makes the characters helpless. And it easy to live vicariously through the characters in this film, especially the main (Debbie) character. You can see how mad she has become by going through what she has. She has been brutalized in almost every way you can imagine. Physically, she is a mess, but psychologically she would never be the same after her experience. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a rare film that shows that you don't need special effects or even a large budget to make a scary film. All you need is some ingenuity, a vision and a horrific story. TCM has all three.

Last House On The Left was disturbing because it was mean and graphic, TCM is disturbing because I have never felt that a film was more of a documentary than a Hollywood film. And that is perhaps why Hollywood can not produce really good horror films, because they all try to put their own take on things and then edit the hell out of the film. Some of the best horror films have been independents ( Halloween, Evil Dead and TCM ). I don't for one second believe that Debbie is an actor. To me she really went through this nightmare. She really was tortured by a sick family of cannibals. Her performance was one of sheer terror. When she screams, you believe that it is real. It felt and looked like Tobe Hooper just put a camera at this house and film all that went on there. And there really has to be a Leatherface. He felt that real. Also, the fact that there was absolutely no lighting can be attributed to two things. 1) I know they had no budget. But secondly, the darkness adds to the fear, the paranoia and the mass confusion that this movie makes us experience. There are times when you don't know what's going on. All you hear is that disgusting buzz saw. And you know it is close, but just not how close. I really believe that the lighting, or lack there of, is really a good element that this film possesses.

There are people that have said that this film doesn't stand up well over time, that it has lost some of its scares. Well I challenge anyone to watch this film with the lights off, and alone. If you don't get frightened by all that this movie stands for, then I don't think there is a movie out there that can frighten you. Not Halloween, not Jaws and not Aliens. Because as great as those films are, they are not any more frightening than this film is. And if you are honest with yourself, no matter how much of a fan of modern horror you are, you have to admit that a horror film from 1974 beats the living hell out of anything that has been pawned off in the 90's. Urban Legend, Lake Placid, The Haunting, H2O, The Final Friday, Carrie 2, they all pale in comparison to what Texas Chainsaw Massacre will do to you. This film is the personification of fear. Films will never be made like this again. They are too intelligent and frightful. Tobe Hooper is a horror genius. This is his best and most honest work. 

10/10 one of the 25 best made films.

Edited by Halloweenbaumer

I spent Thursday evening watching the 2003 film plus a lot of the xtras. Last night I watched this one and a lot of the documentaries on the SE DVD. Some films might not hold up well from 30-35 years ago. This is not one of them. It is a horrifying experience and it is all the more terrifying knowing that Gunnar had a real chainsaw in his hands chasing poor Marilyn Burns. This is an experience more than a movie and it should be seen again.

Even today this movie is such a giant punch to the gut. The chase through the dark and the dinner scene that follows are closest to a filmed nightmare I've seen. Its the grimy, unforgiving realism of the acting and the production that makes it so upsetting from beginning to the end, and truly one of the scariest movies I've seen.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 3

Even today this movie is such a giant punch to the gut. The chase through the dark and the dinner scene that follows are closest to a filmed nightmare I've seen. Its the grimy, unforgiving realism of the acting and the production that makes it so upsetting from beginning to the end, and truly one of the scariest movies I've seen.

This.The night chase through the forest is completely nerve-jangling. The low-budget 16mm footage and production design just make it feel more real. The crazy thing is that there's actually very little gore; it's a masterpiece of suggestion.
  • Like 2

Baumer I love your new name. (I love the holiday and the film)Halloween is my favorite time of the year.

Thank you...I love Halloween too.

But he needs to change his location to Haddonfield.

Right you are.

• Like 1

Not that I have ever seen one (nor do I want to) but this film looks like a snuff film.  There are times when the line between what's real and what's fake is really blurred.  This film, like Last House on the Left, makes you feel like you are watching someone's up close and personal video collection of the macabre and twisted things they have been part of.  Horror films don't feel like that today.

I've mentioned before that horror isn't one of my favorite genres. Bu this film along Halloween and the Shining create the (un)holy trifecta of not only great horror movies, they're just great movies. The scares are genuine and like mentioned before it's not really gory, despite its title. AI remember reading one time that this was like a Scooby Doo episode.......gone horribly wrong

• Like 1

The Exorcist is silly to me as well.  

I don't have a holy trifecta.  There are so many great films from the 70s and 80s.  Shining, Halloween, Texas, LHOTL, Omen, Amityville Horror, Rosemary's Baby (60's) Nightmare 1, Friday 1 and so on.