baumer

Top Horror films of the last 15 years: All opinions welcome

Oh my god I forgot probably the best horror movie of the last 10 years. So ashamed.Let the Right One In/Let me In - take your pic. They are both a breath of fresh cinematic air. These aren't just great horror movies. These are straight up incredible films. They really embody awesome movies with great acting, great drama, great stories and chilling atmostpheres. Beautiful films.

Oh geez, yeah how did I forget about that too. I love Let Me In. Ok that would be on my list as well

In no particular order, movies that scared the crap out of me:Profundo Roso (Deep Red) - there`s a scene where

bloodshot eye opens out of the darkness

which is alone responsible for my sleeping with lights on for yearsThe Descent -

a chick gets stuck in a very narrow tunel and i`m a claustrophobic who couldn`t go through MRI so...

The Ring - the ending, OMG the ending!Blair Witch Project - being lost in the woods is scary even without a stalker witchHalloween 2 - I liked the first movie but it didn`t scare me. Part 2 however....I know it doesn`t belong in the horror section for it`s sci fi horror but I must mention Alien one of very few ttolaly 100% perfect movies.

• Like 2

Cool list Baumer. From those i 've seen The Devil's Rejects is the only one i find pretty bad. I didn't enjoy some of them as much as you did but it's a nice list.Let me give mine1. The Mist2. The Others3. 28 Days Later4. Inside5. Frozen6. Session 97. The Descent8. Scream 29. The Strangers10. Dawn of the DeadAnd i don't consider Sleepy Hollow, The Sixth Sense, Triangle, I Saw the Devil or Cube horror films so i don't list them and the first Scream is over 15 years ago.

I forgot to put Audition in there. Really disturbing stuff going on there. Takes number 8 in my list so Dawn of the Dead is out.

15) Freddie Vs Jason

Freddie Kreuger is a character that lives through Robert Englund and for me at least, so long as he is playing the role there is something to enjoy in even the worst of Elm Street films (numbers 4 and 5 for example). I feel that this was a much better film than anybody expected or maybe even wanted it to be and twas a shame it never got a sequel.

14) Ju-On - The Grudge (Japan)

Dear Lord what a scary film. Every scene is traumatising and the little boy is arguably the scariest thing in cinema history. However I always found the Japanese gilm to be too disjointed to rank higher, everything was centred around the house and trying to follow which character was who and when was far too difficult to rank it as a better film. But for scares... see opening two words of this. a asf sd

adfddf

13)Hills Have Eyes

I thought this films has a great build up and decent characterisation for a horror film. The evil people were sufficiently evil and it was a very enjoyable cinemagoing experience. The last 20 minutes however made me realise how desensitised to mutant killing I have become as it felt like watching a video game more than a film.

12) Cabin In the Woods

A new but I thought well made film that did a good job of blending traditional horror with Scream-like satire of horror. The acting was very good and the story progressed well (even if it got a little lost near the end). The ending may not be the strongest closing scene ever but I enjoyed the homages, parodies, comedy and horror it gave us.

11) Hostel

A film I almost switched off multiple times during the first 20 minutes or so as it was just a godawful terrible opening act. Everything I hate in a film. However when they finally made it to Slovakia everything changes and the closing 2 thirds is some of the best bure fear and horror Hollywood has created in the past 20 years. If they could have come up with a better concept as to how to get the characters to the Hostel instead of the Amsterdam rubbish this could have placed higher and mean I could reccommend it to more people without have to repeatedly apologise for the opening third.

10) Alone (Thailand)

The follow up from the maker of Shutter (that I somehow still havent watched), this was a film about a dead Siamese twin. The director knows his horror and this film continued the rise of Thailand as perhaps the next great home of Asian Horror (that sadly never got realised). If Shutter is better I really should go watch it, but this is also really worth a view.

9) Blair Witch Project

A film best watched with an open mind and willingness to be scared. I remember I saw this with some friends on DVD when it was first released and the reactions were mixed. By then we had all of course heard it ws 'the scariest film ever' 'best horror of alltime' etc and thus the viewers were split into two pre-film mindsets: those like me who allowed ourselves to be open to what the film was trying to do, and those who seemed to be like: 'Come on then. Scare me.'.

This second group of course missed the point and in working to much on wanting to not be scared by the film, they missed the point of the film entirely. There are no monsters in this film, no demons or werewolves, there's not even a witch. It's all about how scary things can be when you let your mind play tricks on you, when your imagination runs wild.

So if you don't let your imagination be free to run wild, the film will not be scary and be wasted on the viewer.

8) Final Destination

The first of two maybe more contentious choices. Teen Horror has its lovers and haters. Like with American Pie style comedies, I love the best films i the genre and pretty much hate the rest. In Horror, Final Destination is among the best for me. Great concept, excellently executed and does what all good horrors do in keeping the audience cringing throughout when they know something bad is about to happen but don't quite know when or how.

7) Idle Hands

Ah comedy Horror. I really really enjoyed this film (and not just for Jessica Alba), Really the first time since Scream I had seen a film blend horror and comedy how it should be done with an audience flipping between fear and laughter even within one scene. The fact I haven't seen this appear on any list suggests that either nobody saw it or that I am the only one who liked it. But its a lot of fun and there is some decent horror in there too.

6) R Point (Korea)

Yes the Koreans can do horror too (even though thriller is their forte), and this was a little known yet damn scary film. A group of Korean soldiers stationed in Vietnam find themselves searching for a disappeared platoon and happen upon something much more scary. There are scenes in this film that put big budget action movies to shame and the direction (as with most Korean cinema) is top notch. Well worth searching out and watching as it seems like it is the only Asian horror not getting remade by the Americans...

5) Grudge

Which could be a shame as sometimes, the Americans do a really good job at remaking Asian Horror films. If you remember my big criticism of Ju-On was the lack of a focal point to the story. Well that is dealt with here as Geller's character takes over from the House as the centre point to the story and it is all the better for it. Probably the last decent thing Geller did before her acting ability went down the drain, this is scary with a good plot.

This is mostly thanks to the great decision to keep the story located in Japan as well as recasting that creepy little Japanese kid as the creepy little Japanese kid which allows this to maintain the horror of the Japanese version whilst improving the story. Great film. ignore the sequels.

4) Saw

Along with BWP, the best film when it comes to exploiting pure fear. There is nothing really scary in this film scene to scene. Yes there are a couple of gory scenes, like with most horrors, but show somebody any 2 or 3 minute exert from Saw and they will not be all that scared by it. Show the whole film however and it will never leave you (I still have a friend that will not let anybody say the word Saw in his presence). Masters the slow build to perfection and puts the watcher fully in the position of the characters.

The more the film goes on the more you think about yourself in their position, what would you do, could you do it? And from then on it is a month of nightmares worrying about the scenario coming true.

3) The Ring

The best American horror of the past 20 years and it is a remake of the Japanese film. What makes it so good? Same as the Grudge, they respect the original story. Why mess with a good thing?

Hollywood as a bad habit of dumbing stories down so that Americans can understand more easily and this is an insult to American Audiences. It would have been so easy to have Samara run around killing people in a haze of CGI and gore, but they didn't do that, they kept to the Japanese model and saved the payoff till the end in an awesome remake of the most iconic horror scene in Asian cinema and one could almost argue of all time.

Everything about this film is done to the maximum capability and the only thing stopping this placing higher is the fact that the original was already faultless.

2) A Tale of Two Sisters (Korea)

Well that and the fact that During the seven year period where Korea was producing the best cinema anywhere in the world, they also produced some horror too. Admittedly this is not a scary film, but it is immensely psychological and Kim Jee-Woon is possibly the 3rd best director in Korea (which is still arguably top 20 in the world).

The thing that made Korean cinema so great 10 years ago was that directors had freedom nowhere else had. Censorship was gone and now a director was free to write and direct a film in their own vision without studio interference and the results were stunning. Remade in USA as The Uninvited (a film I haven't seen yet), this is a wonderfully made film that anybody willing to read subtitles must see.

Will be really interesting to see The Last Stand next year and what happens when he gets to direct Arnie's comeback role.

1) Ring

Not much left to say that wasn't said for number 3, except to say if you liked the Ring US, you must see the orignal. Even if subtitles are not for you this is the film that revived horror for me as a genre. Truly scary, horrific and any other adjective you can use for a horror film. It was cinematic perfection and that is a rare thing for horror to achieve.

Well that was the longest post ever, a shiny gold star to anybody who actually reads it. :P

• Like 1

7) Idle Hands

Ah comedy Horror. I really really enjoyed this film (and not just for Jessica Alba), Really the first time since Scream I had seen a film blend horror and comedy how it should be done with an audience flipping between fear and laughter even within one scene. The fact I haven't seen this appear on any list suggests that either nobody saw it or that I am the only one who liked it. But its a lot of fun and there is some decent horror in there too.

A Great Comedy/horror, gonna watch this tomorow night, thanks alot I havean't seen this in years. There is more films in the comedy/horror genre then I thought there was, we could proberly make a pretty good list. Anyone see Fido or Tucker and dale vrs evil? , I guess fido isin't really a horror film at all and proberly sits in the zombie/dramedy genre. but if a nice Cheesey hollywood Zombie Film is what you desire then check out fido, It's not shaun of the dead btw, and doesn't try to resemble it in anyway, but is a fresh breath of zombie air...

15) Freddie Vs Jason

Freddie Kreuger is a character that lives through Robert Englund and for me at least, so long as he is playing the role there is something to enjoy in even the worst of Elm Street films (numbers 4 and 5 for example). I feel that this was a much better film than anybody expected or maybe even wanted it to be and twas a shame it never got a sequel.

Liked this one too, I also think New nightmare and freddy's dead are the worst then Numbers 4 and 5. 3 and the original being my favourites. The New Nighmare on Elm Street with Jackie Earle Haley was a major waste of time, hopfully if they do, do a sequel that it won't be as terrible as the first.

Liked this one too, I also think New nightmare and freddy's dead are the worst then Numbers 4 and 5. 3 and the original being my favourites. The New Nighmare on Elm Street with Jackie Earle Haley was a major waste of time, hopfully if they do, do a sequel that it won't be as terrible as the first.

My biggest with the remake was that they made Freddie a Paedophile.For me the thing that made Elm street great was how Englund played a character that you kind of routed for even though he was pure evil. He had character an charisma as opposed being another silent psycho who could walk faster than teenagers could sprint.The remake ruined that. Cheering on a psycho-killer in a film can be all part of the film, but a paedophile... that's too real life and so the character can never become the wise-cracking, enjoying what he does type character which was why Nightmare on Elm Street was able to support 7 sequels.
  • Like 1