A Marvel Fanboy

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World | Feb 22, 2019 | 12th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

What's so awful about June 29, 2018? Nothing else is scheduled there yet (except for the third Terminator reboot film, if it ever actually happens).

It's better than coming out the week before Toy Story 4. And it's going to be the last one anyway, whether or not DreamWorks survives into the next decade. (Dean DeBlois and Bonnie Arnold apparently convinced Katzenberg "this is the last one, no Dragon 4", and since Bonnie Arnold was promoted, I'm sure she will make sure this is allowed to end.)

And I want to see Dean DeBlois come up with new ideas after finishing the Dragon saga. (My secret wish is for him and Chris Sanders to reunite on something new after Croods 2 and Dragon 3 are done.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Also noticed this replaces another "untitled" Fox animated release. I still think they grabbed a bunch of redundant slots so they had places to move things.

Anubis was already scheduled for March 2018. I guess Fox will use the now vacant May 18th slot for a live action film.

• Like 1

Anubis is still on March 23. Dragon is moving to June 29, where an "untitled" release is. The May 18 slot was vacated by Madagascar 4.

I still think it's odd that the untitled slots would always be referred to as "DWA/Blue Sky/Fox Animation". Fox doesn't have their own animation studio in LA, are/were they trying to set one up? Is that why they reserved so many slots?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Madagascar 4 is off the schedule for now. That's the May 18th slot that was vacated.

Remember, DWA is only releasing two movies per year produced at the Glendale studio, and they have two films a year set for 2016-18.

Madagascar 4

Distributor: Fox Release Date: May 18, 2018 Genre: Animation Runtime: N/A MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated Production Budget: N/A

Anubis is still on March 23. Dragon is moving to June 29, where an "untitled" release is. The May 18 slot was vacated by Madagascar 4.

I still think it's odd that the untitled slots would always be referred to as "DWA/Blue Sky/Fox Animation". Fox doesn't have their own animation studio in LA, are/were they trying to set one up? Is that why they reserved so many slots?

Fox Animation is films that don't into the DWA or Blue Sky bracket like Book of Life or a hybrid like Alvin and the Chipmunks. 

Box Office Mojo has not updated the schedule with the new info yet. (I guess tomorrow?)

Trust me, Fox is not going to release 7 animated movies in 2018.

And at least with DWA cutting its slate down, we're at less risk of the kind of "animation implosion" that 2017 looked like it was leading up to only a couple months ago.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Box Office Mojo has not updated the schedule with the new info yet. (I guess tomorrow?)

Trust me, Fox is not going to release 7 animated movies in 2018.

And at least with DWA cutting its slate down, we're at less risk of the kind of "animation implosion" that 2017 looked like it was shaping up to be only a couple months ago.

Updated what? MDGSCR4? Was it taken down from the schedule?

So losing PDI means half of DW animation? That is why they need to cut their slate down?

Their slate was too ambitious anyway and considering the crappy couple of years they've had, it was inevitable that one of their California studios would be shut down and unfortunately PDI bit the bullet.

• Like 1

Awful awful awful date. Moving to 2018 should've never been an option

I disagree. Toy Story 4, LEGO Batman, and DM3 would have absolutely massacred it in summer 2017. Not to mention GOTG 2 and the kid appeal there. Out of those 5, Dragon would've suffered the worst by far. Holiday was also out with Illumination's Grinch likely being a heavy hitter, a Pixar film, and DWA apparently having both B.O.O. and Croods 2 scheduled. Even if they replaced one of those with Dragon 3, there's still way too much competition for it. DWA is better off offering up B.O.O. and/or Croods 2 on the sacrificial altar than this. This still has more potential than arguably anything else on their slate. I guess they could've shot for a March 2017 release, but maybe they don't think it will be ready in time for that? All of 2017 is just one big animation clusterfuck in all honesty. Of course summer 2018 isn't exactly looking barren for animation either already, but it doesn't have three animation juggernauts to directly compete with like it would in '17.

• Like 1

And at least with DWA cutting its slate down, we're at less risk of the kind of "animation implosion" that 2017 looked like it was leading up to only a couple months ago.

It should have always been 2 movies a year for DWA. There 3 a year was just dummmmmb.