A Marvel Fanboy

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World | Feb 22, 2019 | 12th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

So when do you guys think it well get a release if it changes?November 2017?March or. February 2018?Also do you guys think we'll see a decrease again?

I really liked it being released in 2016. It could be still be fresh in some people's minds. I know, this sequel was a huge disappointment for a lot of us in terms of BO, but I still think the third couldn't suffer a lot like this first sequel.

I'm surprised they've not gone for a July slot. July 20th is still available or they could swap dates with Fantastic Four 2. The increase in animation competition is affecting DWA since theyre having to settle for less desirable dates. What's replacing Dragon 3 in 2016? I wonder if Trolls will move up to a summer slot and Captain Underpants moves to November? Otherwise they've got four movies coming out in 2017

• Like 1

So when do you guys think it well get a release if it changes?

November 2017?

March or. February 2018?

Also do you guys think we'll see a decrease again?

see at the bottom

It feels to me like the first Dragon was this franchise at the height of its popularity. The sequels won't be as popular.

same

You forget, the second expanded OS. It's now on the level of Shrek/Panda/Madagascar. They aren't going to pass up that international loot.

You are right.

International numbers bring in for the studio/distributors - depending on the country - in average a little less than in the US. Exception China, where the quota is way deeper. Still, it's worldwide popularity is increasing, not decreasing.

International numbers are not actual => the surpassing of the $600m mark was already officially announced, BOM is behind the updates for international numbers (plus seems to miss ~$5m since a time according to the China thread at International)

Skeptics:

take a really good look at the 'Overseas' numbers, be aware, that the already ~ 50% higher number will still increase and ask yourself: do you really think that is a decrease?

Worldwide (Unadjusted)

Rank Title ...................... Studio Worldwide Domestic / % .. Overseas / % Year

1 How to Train Your Dragon 2 Fox $598.9 $174.0 29.1% $424.9 = 70.9% 2014

2 How to Train Your Dragon P/DW $494.9 $217.6 44% $277.3 = 56% 2010

China still builds ~ 5000 theaters a year, is expected to surpass the US market in 2020, the movie got pushed back to 2017...

China for the moment has HtTYD 2 at just a few millions under 400 million Yuan 

10 Yuan equals 1.63 US Dollar => something between $63m and $64m for now

2012 to 2013 Chinese numbers increased ~ 28%, 2014 YTD I've read something about between 30% and 40% increase (I have to check for the exact number) => guess how much alone the Chinese number for HtTYD 3 might increase if the quality is at the same level.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

BOM has the correct China numbers, I was saying in the Intl. thread that the original studio estimate and $57.11m cume announced on Sunday seemed to be missing at least $5M (and apparently it was; the subsequent China weekly wrap-up on ScreenDaily had a more accurate cume of $63.18M)The reason BOM doesn't have $600M yet is because they subtract Puerto Rico out of the OS total. (Not sure about other studios, but Fox International counts Puerto Rico even though it's already counted in domestic.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

BOM has the correct China numbers, I was saying in the Intl. thread that the original studio estimate and $57.11m cume announced on Sunday seemed to be missing at least $5M (and apparently it was; the subsequent China weekly wrap-up on ScreenDaily had a more accurate cume of $63.18M)

The reason BOM doesn't have $600M yet is because they subtract Puerto Rico out of the OS total. (Not sure about other studios, but Fox International counts Puerto Rico even though it's already counted in domestic.)

I thought it got mentioned in the Chinese thread within the international numbers... (too?)

I meant it as something is missing, to read details there.

According to slashfilm the release date and the surpassing of the $600m mark got announced together:

How to Train Your Dragon 2 wasn’t an out and out critical smash, but the film has performed well at the box office. Dreamworks Animation announced today that the film has hit the $600m milestone across the globe, with a $174m domestic tally. But the next film in the series won’t be rushed out the door. While the third adventure of Hiccup and Toothless was originally set for June 2016 (on the same date as Shane Black’s just-dated The Nice Guys, and Finding Dory) the sequel has now been pushed back. We don’t have an official line on what sees How to Train Your Dragon 3 delayed, but what info we do have is below.

The press release says,

On the heels of the success of their latest epic adventure, Hiccup and Toothless have plans to soar across the big screen once again with the announcement of the third chapter in DreamWorks Animation’s How to Train Your Dragon series shifting to a June 9, 2017 release date.  From the same creative team as the first two films, writer/director Dean DeBlois and producer Bonnie Arnold, How to Train Your Dragon 3 continues the story where the sequel leaves off (sorry folks, no spoilers here).  Returning cast includes Jay Baruchel as Hiccup, America Ferrera as Astrid and Cate Blanchett as Valka.

While the second film only did fairly well domestically, it was a big Chinese opening (and good showings in South Korea, the UK, France, and Germany) that really set the global box office on fire. The film has earned $50m in China, which is a nice tally.

The $50m mentioned are now ~ $63m at it's 21th day in release there. The difference should be part of the reason for the surpassing of the $600m.

It is still on #7 in UK btw

• Like 1

I'd like to see the story continue. It could do $750M+ WW if marketed properly with a better suited release date.

You forget, the second expanded OS. It's now on the level of Shrek/Panda/Madagascar. They aren't going to pass up that international loot.

Im aware of OS. Still think its a waste of money. But its DWA so we know they dont care.
  • Like 1