A Marvel Fanboy

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World | Feb 22, 2019 | 12th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

The shareholders would have to force Katzenberg out, like how Disney shareholders revolted against Eisner a decade ago. It hasn't come to that yet - but if things get worse, there is a risk...

Penguins of Madgascar won't flop but I'm wary of Home, the trailer wasn't great and I think had it been released this year would have dire for DWA. 

• Like 2

I keep saying this, but my HTTYD2 audience laughed more at the Home trailer than the Penguins trailer. Since HTTYD2's audience clearly doesn't represent a healthy cross-section of the "family" demographic, I have no idea HOW much it speaks to Home's potential, but it is certainly intriguing to me...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

The shareholders would have to force Katzenberg out, like how Disney shareholders revolted against Eisner a decade ago. It hasn't come to that yet - but if things get worse, there is a risk.But there doesn't seem to be a Roy E. Disney who would lead such a charge, and DreamWorks doesn't have enough of a legacy for something along the lines of Roy's "a legacy betrayed" platform to really work.I think the only person who would have enough clout to lead a shareholder rebellion in the way Roy led the Disney one, would be Steven Spielberg. And I somehow doubt he cares enough at this point (and I think the two are still personal friends?)

Legacy betrayed? Katzenberg said that Dreamworks' bread and butter is the humour found in Shrek and Madagascar.

Nobody is going to revolt against Katzenberg, it's his company. Who even has the right to revolt?

He's making a lot of bad, questionable decisions but who's going to replace him? They aren't that in the deep end that shareholders might get weary, and even then, I don't know if they can actually remove him. Plus, Dragon 2 did get like 92% RT rating and I think all their flops are critically "fresh". There's no reason to get rid of him even with the bombs, underperformers and disappointments.

Marketing needs to go. Recruitment or the creative type who source out Baby Diaper and Captain Underpants have to go. But Katzenberg is not gonna be going anywhere.

• Like 2

But there doesn't seem to be a Roy E. Disney who would lead such a charge, and DreamWorks doesn't have enough of a legacy for something along the lines of Roy's "a legacy betrayed" platform to really work.I think the only person who would have enough clout to lead a shareholder rebellion in the way Roy led the Disney one, would be Steven Spielberg. And I somehow doubt he cares enough at this point (and I think the two are still personal friends?)

Dreamworks SKG and Dreamworks Animation are separate and TBH despite DWA having a tough time, they are doing a lot better than SKG which is a shadow of its former self having lost the franchises like Transformers, Anchorman and Meet the Parents to Paramount, the only films that have done well for them in the last few years was Lincoln, War Horse and The Help. 

• Like 1

Spielberg is still a shareholder in DWA. But as I said, I believe he's still pals with Katz, contrasted with Roy E. who had fallen COMPLETELY out with Eisner by the 2000s. So he wouldn't be spearheading a "Save DreamWorks" campaign any time soon.Things would have to get a LOT worse for something like this to happen at DWA. Remember, at the time that the Disney shareholders and board turned on Eisner, he was ready to sever ties with Pixar when they were the king of the hill in feature animation, AND the company was fighting off a takeover bid from Comcast. DWA is nowhere near the entertainment giant Disney is, that takeover attempt 10 years ago was legitimately SHOCKING.So I don't think Katzenberg is in trouble. But he needs to make more good decisions - he has made some in the past, after all. Like his pushing to have HTTYD retooled from the little-kid project it started as (or at least throwing his full support behind what Sanders and DeBlois were coming up with), and letting the Dragon and Panda franchises be more mature and subtle compared to the Shrek/Madagascar type stuff. Those were good decisions, ones I'm legitimately surprised Katzenberg had in him. He needs to make more decisions like that, and less decisions like "This racing snails concept is genius, here's $135 million!"

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Is the cartoon good?Anyway, this might not even happen, what if it gets less than 400 mil OS....Also, should I see this in 3D?

HTTYD2 had smaller budget and is doing better OS then HTTYD. If it makes more than HTTYD than it will be a profitable project for DWA.

• Like 1

Spielberg is still a shareholder in DWA. But as I said, I believe he's still pals with Katz, contrasted with Roy E. who had fallen COMPLETELY out with Eisner by the 2000s.

Eisner and Katzenberg worked together at Paramount where they successfully made Star Trek into a film franchise and then Disney where they helped to revitalise the animation department which produces the many classics. Katzenberg fell out with Eisner because he refused to promote to president of production and left to set up Dreamworks with Spielberg and David Geffen.

If Katzenberg has a flaw, it is that he is overambitious. The film slate is pretty huge and I'm not sure if DWA as a brand is popular to sustain a theme park like Disneyland or Universal Studios, Disneyland took years to grow. Television I think they could well with but I think they need to develop original properties rather than rely just on the film characters,  

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Legacy betrayed? Katzenberg said that Dreamworks' bread and butter is the humour found in Shrek and Madagascar.Nobody is going to revolt against Katzenberg, it's his company. Who even has the right to revolt?He's making a lot of bad, questionable decisions but who's going to replace him? They aren't that in the deep end that shareholders might get weary, and even then, I don't know if they can actually remove him. Plus, Dragon 2 did get like 92% RT rating and I think all their flops are critically "fresh". There's no reason to get rid of him even with the bombs, underperformers and disappointments.Marketing needs to go. Recruitment or the creative type who source out Baby Diaper and Captain Underpants have to go. But Katzenberg is not gonna be going anywhere.

Once again you're wrong BK...Captain Underpants is based on a very popular source material, and with Kevin Hart, is a very smart choice for Dreamworks Animation.
  • Like 2

Eisner and Katzenberg worked together at Paramount where they successfully made Star Trek into a film franchise and then Disney where they helped to revitalise the animation department which produces the many classics. Katzenberg fell out with Eisner because he refused to promote to president of production and left to set up Dreamworks with Spielberg and David Geffen.

I know the story about Katzenberg. In fact, I'm convinced that the ONLY reason he said he wanted HTTYD2 to make a billion dollars is because Frozen did and he still holds a grudge against Disney all these years later.But I wasn't talking about Katzenberg. I was talking about Roy E. Disney. He's the one who started the "Save Disney"campaign to oust Eisner about 10 years ago. He's the one who got Eisner, Katzenberg and Frank Wells in at Disney 20 years earlier, and he was PO'ed at the state of the company with Eisner in full control.What I was saying was, there's nobody who would have that clout to push for Katzenberg's replacement (except maybe Spielberg, the largest individual shareholder, who still owns less stock than several management funds, and who I already said I think is still too buddy-buddy with Katz to do something like that). Roy E. had the family connection, and Disney had a 75+ year legacy he could hold up to illustrate how Eisner had messed things up. There's nothing like that for DWA, they never had as high a reputation as Disney and they haven't driven said reputation as low as Disney's got in the early 00s, so Katz is most likely going nowhere. Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

I know the story about Katzenberg. I'm convinced that the ONLY reason he said he wanted HTTYD2 to make a billion dollars is because Frozen did and he still holds a grudge against Disney.But I wasn't talking about Katzenberg. I was talking about Roy E. Disney. He's the one who started the "Save Disney"campaign to oust Eisner about 10 years ago. He's the one who got Eisner, Katzenberg and Frank Wells in at Disney 20 years earlier, and he was PO'ed at the state of the company with Eisner in full control.What I was saying was, there's nobody who would have that cl

Disney was in a bad state in the early 2000s, not just films but ABC as well. Pixar and ESPN was pretty much their only success and they were close to cutting ties with Pixar. Disney even create Circle 7 to develop sequels to Pixar films. Things would look very different if Eisner hadn't been ousted. Disney has become a lot bigger in ten years due to the acquisitions of Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm as well as Walt Disney Animation producing better films, there have been missteps like John Carter, Lone Ranger etc but those failures were balanced by hits and continued success from ESPN, the theme parks and consumer products.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

While Incredibles is not as popular as Finding Nemo, I just think it will be easier for Pixar to create a quality Incredibles 2 than a Finding Dory, I mean, Incredibles seems to be built as a franchise, like Toy Story and Monsters Inc. In Finding Dory, it just seems to have a the same storyline as Finding Nemo, though this time it is Dory that is lost.

Monsters Inc wasn't built as a franchise...

• Like 1