baumer

End of Watch

17 members have voted

1. 1. Discuss

End of Watch is the story of two inner city LA cops who stumble on to a possible conspiracy.That synopsis is what they'd like you to think, in reality, End of Watch is about 2 cops as they work the beat, do some good deeds, and in the end, try and protect LA from crime, no matter what it takesOne thing that is very apparent is the style this film is shot in. It is shot a lot like Quarantine or Paranormal Activity. It brings immediate realism to the film. Characters become instantly relatable. Where things may have seemed run of the mill, a close up or two and it's like you are in the action. There are even some first person shots with a handgun like in Doom. For this the film should be commended. Also another thing that is readily apparent is the chemistry between Pena and Gyllenhall. Since their friendship drives the story, this was of upmost importance and it delivers. The best part of the movie as just those two riffing in the car about whatever subject was the topic of the day. It brings an unbridled levity in an otherwise tense and uncomfortable movieGoing back to the original synopsis, they do find this conspiracy. It even goes so far to use "top secret" surveillance cams to show that ICE knew who the guy was running the human trafficking. But that thread gets forgotten about. If there was a conspiracy, then the only evidence was that in the end, the backup took an obnoxiously long time to get there. I felt the third act really fell apart and the film could not decide where it wanted to go, so it killed the funniest person in the film to prove a point, but I don't know what that is.About the ending. It reeks of test audience studio manipulation. You see in the end, Pena dies. It is really really sad. Like close ups of people with red noses and dressed in black. It's fades to black but you think it's over but instead there is this scene that is supposedly from the day of he shooting that is pretty fun but Jake and Michael just want us to know how funny it is. It doesn't add anything to the plot, it just makes sure you leave the theater with a crooked smile on your faceSo, I give it a B-/B. It's ultimately uneven but enjoyable till it comes apart.

Edited by Expendable baumer
  • Like 1

What worked:Gyllenhaal and Pena. Terrific chemistry. Movie wouldn't have worked at all without it, and I enjoyed watching them. Supporting roles were good too.A respect for the reality of their situation. I believed their world for the most part. It didn't try to put cops on a pedestal either.What didn't:The found footage. Some of it is first person perspective, some of it isn't, it's all weird. The most repeated line in the film is "get that camera out of my face!" The gangbangers having their own handheld cameras were LOL-worthy. Reminded me of Chronicle when the girlfriend was a camera freak too (what a coincidence!).There's really no narrative throughline. I would have loved to see Gyllenhaal and Pena follow through with the cartel, which is their most effective 'bust,' but it's really just a 'day in the life' movie. which was okay, but could have been more interesting. Final scene: Totally bought Pena's death and thought it was expertly handled, if not expected. Then the movie decides it's a crowdpleaser and tries to make us laugh, literally for no other reason than to avoid audiences leaving the theater all 'sad' and stuff. Kind of a slap in the face to the believability of the rest of this LAPD world.6.5/10-7/10

Edited by Gopher

I have such big problems with the ending and I'm shocked I can't find others complaining about these things....1. Why didn't they leave the apartment with the screaming lady for another apartment? The cartel would've just made their way over and killed them probably.2. When they hopped the wall and shot the guy in the car, WHY NOT TAKE HIS FREAKING CAR AND DRIVE AWAY?!?!?3. Why would you choose to continue down such a long freaking alley with no turns? You are sitting ducks. They would have known better. Hop in a yard and break in a house/shed and hide there...4. When a vehicle approached, why did they act like moths and gravitate toward the lights saying "is that us?". yeah, back up arrived without its sirens/lights to the scene. Awful writing.5. When Brian got shot, why would Mike keep sitting there instead of pulling him to the truck and driving away. This one is forgivable but still I feel like Mike would've known that he was going to die with him and so it did no good to just sit there. Also, how would he think the cops would know to check the worlds' longest alley for them? 6. Why would Mike keep YELLING for help when the only people he would likely attract would be his assailants? He'd know when the cops would be there.7. Seriously, WHY THE HELL DIDNT THEY TAKE THE CAR LOL.8. I'm pretty sure that Brian surviving wouldn't negate the hit order. He'd still be killed.......no semi-happy cop-out ending for you!I really liked the movie until the end and liked the characters so it made me sad to have shitty writing ruin this one. My opinion but yeah....not happy as I was psyched for this.Edit: I also hated the fake last effort to give a happy ending. Should've ended in the alley or with the funeral.

Edited by Justin121

This only came out in the UK a little while ago so I only just got a chance to see it.Have to say I'm surprised by the reaction from the other reviewers in this thread, I absolutely loved this film, the acting was amazing and the chemistry/bond between the two main characters was intense and tangible.I found that the way it was filmed really drew me into the world, I felt as though as I was really there, and for long stretches of time I forgot I was in a cinema (something all the best films do to you I have found). I know nothing about real life policing, but they really managed to convince me that this was a realistic portrayal of how cops might work and go about their day which also helped to suck me in.It's funny because reading through your list Justin, I actually think a lot of your points are valid, but here's the thing; it didn't bother me during the film, and it doesn't bother me now, even in the cold light of day. The film just drew me in so much, and I so truly believed in their plight and situation (my heart was pounding all the way through that sequence!) that minor plot irritations like you have pointed out simply didn't register with me.This is a point I have really hammered on before, but I believe that if you really 'buy into' a film, then plot inconsistencies won't bother you. Most, if not all, of the best films ever have many minor or even serious plot issues. The key thing is that a really well acted, well written, well directed film makes you ignore those issues.I also really felt that they captured the spirit of a living breathing city. Something about those shots of the police car just driving around (like the bits where the camera was looking forward along the bonnet).Probably my only real problem with the film was that it should have ended with the funeral, not that last 'funny' scene. But it wasn't that bad.I will have to see this again at some point to confirm my initial reaction, but right now this is one of, if not the, best films I have seen this year. My score:9.5/10

It succeeds largely as a result of the chemistry of its leads, and its aurora of authenticity.  I didn't have a problem with the last scene as I thought it reinforced their tight bond and relationship, but the previous 15 minutes were pretty bad......would have been more powerful and a better film had both died.  The last scene would have flowed better in that instance as well.

B

i watched this film having read this page already but that was months ago! 

i gave it a B because i think it would have been better if both had died, they had a hit on their head, i find it odd he didnt died when those gang members made a point of shooting up the latino cop, but i guess he shielded his friend who did get a bullet in his leg though!

i was real sad at the end because i totally bought the chemistry and friendship between them , i remembered these reviews when the cop shot the guy in the car and instead of taking it they ran down the longest alley ever LOL

funny in a dumb way was the fact the gangsters had a camera filming the whole time, i suppose it will be great evidence after the fact

even funnier how they manage to miss both cops when they entered the building hallway , and with heavy machinery double LOL but i guess the film wasnt quite over so they had to miss them

this aspect of LA was seriously scary , but this is nowhere near downtown and hollywood right? just wondering ...films like this make me sad!

another thing dear me but there was f u c k this and that like if it was a subject ,a verb, a noun, an adverb, an adjective!!!!

do they get a lollipop for who says it the most at the end of the day? 

"Fuck you motherfucking fucking fuck fuckety fuck fuck fuck fuckdick fucking fucker motherfucking motherfucker, motherfucker" All hispanic characters in End of Watch Yeah, this movie kinda sucks. I just found it to be incredibly dull and useless. I didnt give a fuck about anything that was going on, and I tried goddammit! The main guys were never that interesting or likable, the found footage aspect fails miserably and for such a "realistic" movie it gets awfully cartoonish at times. I think I'd rather bite off my own fingers like Werner Herzong in Jack Reacher than watch this thing again.2/5

Edited by Jack Nevada

I thought the leads were very likeable especially Pena. I'm really suprised this is getting a mostly negative reaction here. I thought it was very good except the shaky cam was annoying. 4/5

You liked it because Anna Kendrick lol. She was looking very attractive here, i admit. She actually has a killer body
  • Like 1