Ezen Baklattan

Friday & Early Wknd Estimates (9/21/12): END OF WATCH Solid, everything else soft...

It was probably an attempt to further differentiate it from the Stallone flick, but this should have never been greenlit in the first place, regardless of its name.

You may say Stallone's version was fun (I will admit I too find some enjoyment in it's corniness) but it flopped, got terrible reviews and as far as I know most fans of the comics hated it. The new one seems like it's at least attempting to do the series justice (among others never revealing his full face which the Stallone film did away almost instantly). I guess people were burned by the Stallone film and the marketing campaign for the new Dredd did nothing to quell the skeptics. Edited by C00k13

When will Hollywood stop attempting to cash in on popular megastar action films of the 80's/90's when they can't even get said former megastar to at least do a cameo. What's next? A remake of Die Hard? Demolition Man? Commando? This needs to stop.

They weren't remaking the previous film, they were re-adapting the source material. They wanted to distance themselves from the original movie as much as possible, so of course there is no Stallone. If Judge Dredd had been a hit and spawned a few sequels and Stallone really BECAME Dredd, that would be something else entirely. I'm glad it went this route, I'm glad there is no Stallone. I'm not glad that there aren't more people willing to give it a chance.

They weren't remaking the previous film, they were re-adapting the source material. They wanted to distance themselves from the original movie as much as possible, so of course there is no Stallone.If Judge Dredd had been a hit and spawned a few sequels and Stallone really BECAME Dredd, that would be something else entirely. I'm glad it went this route, I'm glad there is no Stallone. I'm not glad that there aren't more people willing to give it a chance.

I understand that it's more of an adaption of the comic than the original, but if you think this would have been made had the Stallone pic didn't come first then you're sadly mistaken. This film owes its existence to the original, no matter how much better of an adaption it is. If not, they wouldn't have felt the need to title it the way they did. If they were truly ignoring the first one then this would have simply been "Judge Dredd".

I understand that it's more of an adaption of the comic than the original, but if you think this would have been made had the Stallone pic didn't come first then you're sadly mistaken. This film owes its existence to the original, no matter how much better of an adaption it is. If not, they wouldn't have felt the need to title it the way they did. If they were truly ignoring the first one then this would have simply been "Judge Dredd".

That is flat out ridiculous. Judge Dredd was an extremely over-budgeted and universally panned turd. Dredd doesn't owe its existance to that film at all.And have you seen this? They definitely ignored the original... everything about it was completely re-invented. The folks that made this clearly wanted the character to be done right. Judge Dredd was a Stallone film, not a Dredd film.This isn't just a film that that hardcore action junkies and 80s style action lovers will like. Its surprisingly very well written and artistic, which is why the critics love it. Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

It was probably an attempt to further differentiate it from the Stallone flick, but this should have never been greenlit in the first place, regardless of its name.

From a financial perspective? Maybe. But otherwise this is a horrible attitude which should be shunned. There are so many good movies of the past that would never have been made based on a purely financial objective analysis.If this had never been greenlit, then I wouldn't have got to see one of the best films to come out this year, and the best action film I've seen in a long time.I'm an accountant, but even I know that the day we all turn around and say a good movie shouldn't have been made because it flopped and was never likely to make any money is the day the movie industry dies its final death.I hope for its sake that it recoups its money on DVD.
  • Like 1

From a financial perspective? Maybe. But otherwise this is a horrible attitude which should be shunned. There are so many good movies of the past that would never have been made based on a purely financial objective analysis.

If this had never been greenlit, then I wouldn't have got to see one of the best films to come out this year, and the best action film I've seen in a long time.

I'm an accountant, but even I know that the day we all turn around and say a good movie shouldn't have been made because it flopped and was never likely to make any money is the day the movie industry dies its final death.

I hope for its sake that it recoups its money on DVD.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Critics and audiences(that gave it a chance and saw it) are raving about it. Boxoffice doesn't mean anything when it comes to a films validity or quality.

So to the haters who haven't seen it: Posted Image

:D

• Like 1